5.8 GHz or 2.4GHz
39159 69 2016-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansee2ebe3a
New

United States

You should use autoswitching.  5.8GHz has significantly less range than 2.4GHz.  Distance is governed by frequency, strength and the type of antenna.  5.8GHz can carry more data, and therefore has a better image than 2.4GHz.  They give both frequencies for when you are in places with crowded signals.  There is nothing wrong with DJI and 5.8GHz.  If you remember when we had cordless phones, you could use your 5.8GHz outside in the yard before it would break up.  You could use your 2.4GHz cordless phone down a few houses on your block, and you could use your 900MHz cordless phone a few blocks away.  I could sometimes receive calls on my 900MHz cordless phone when I was at the grocery store.  The lower the frequency the longer the range.
2016-12-25
Use props
userfad0de586b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7198 ft
United States

I was flying today and I tried using the mode that alows the p4p to follow its subject. I was set to 5.8GHz and I had perfect line of sight. My distance was well within range and the mode failed because of signal. I am a new pilot, but I'm very tech savvy. I'll do another test flight and see what I come up with.
2016-12-25
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I tried 5.8 GHz for the first time today with my P4P and got phenomenal results. Before I knew it I was over 20,000 feet away at just over 100' altitude. I still had rock solid video but battery level initiated a RTH. I don't get anywhere near that distance on 2.4 GHz. This was over a sparsely populated area.

Regarding the lower frequency giving better range, these frequencies are not that far apart and most time you will have clear line of sight between antennas. I think other factors are affecting range- not the difference in frequency. Just my thoughts.
2016-12-26
Use props
Rtheo
New

Netherlands

Same issue here, about 500/500 mtrs above the sea with no obstructions in a desolated pacific area: signal loss. Have read all the posts and will try setting 2.4 ghz...
Strugling...
2017-1-10
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Rtheo Posted at 2017-1-10 00:43
Same issue here, about 500/500 mtrs above the sea with no obstructions in a desolated pacific area: signal loss. Have read all the posts and will try setting 2.4 ghz...
Strugling...

The major key with the antennas - DO NOT POINT THEM AT YOUR Phantom!

FX. With the Phantom directly overhead, the antennas should have been completely horizontal for the best signal.

There have been some tests where flying behind your self, and your iPad  or what ever used is shading for the antenna. It can loose connection  even on fairly short distance.

Try to look in the manual.

Keep flying
2017-1-10
Use props
Hendo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I've had similar issues as reported here, 2.4 seems more reliable than 5.8 but what I can't understand is why the Auto setting doesn't use the best frequency. I have done a few tests and the P4P, when on auto frequency keeps using 5.8 which is very poor, and when I lock it to 2.4 (mid-flight) it is very strong and rock solid. I have flown in many different locations, mostly in remote country where I would think (but not exactly sure) there would be less interference and 5.8 consistently performs poorly. I generally lock it to 2.4 now (but do keep an eye on the meter in Go4). Does the auto setting continually monitor the interference and change on the fly or does it analyse once and lock it for the entire flight?
2017-1-10
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Hendo Posted at 2017-1-10 12:23
I've had similar issues as reported here, 2.4 seems more reliable than 5.8 but what I can't understand is why the Auto setting doesn't use the best frequency. I have done a few tests and the P4P, when on auto frequency keeps using 5.8 which is very poor, and when I lock it to 2.4 (mid-flight) it is very strong and rock solid. I have flown in many different locations, mostly in remote country where I would think (but not exactly sure) there would be less interference and 5.8 consistently performs poorly. I generally lock it to 2.4 now (but do keep an eye on the meter in Go4). Does the auto setting continually monitor the interference and change on the fly or does it analyse once and lock it for the entire flight?

how comes that yours are switching between 2.4 and 5.8 in auto.  normally it should stay at what you set it an then only switch the channels.
2017-1-10
Use props
fans82f30c9f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80112 ft
United States

2.4 will always provide far better distance any where any time period. enjoy and have fun,  donnie
2017-1-10
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

fans82f30c9f Posted at 2017-1-10 13:10
2.4 will always provide far better distance any where any time period. enjoy and have fun,  donnie

There are never any total absolutes like that when it comes to something this complex. I get far better distance on 5.8 GHz in my area. If you have a lot of 2.4 GHz devices in the area you should get better results on 5.8 GHz.
2017-1-10
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Theoretically 2.4 should provide better results but using auto 5.8 i get unbelievable signal and range. Just like the guy a few posts ahead of me said plus DJI did say that for both 5.8 and 2.4 they are rated for 4.3 miles did anyone see the power output for both on fcc for p4pro there's your answer! 5.8 has been great. No lag. Picture is great and distance is awesome.
2017-1-10
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Agree cobra44magnu....crazy because i thought 2.4 would have been tge better. For me atleast.
2017-1-10
Use props
Hendo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

jetforce Posted at 2017-1-10 13:00
how comes that yours are switching between 2.4 and 5.8 in auto.  normally it should stay at what you set it an then only switch the channels.

I don't think it does switch between the 2 frequencies, that was my question - in auto does it monitor both and switch between 2.4 and 5.8 or does it choose one and stick with it?
2017-1-10
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Hendo Posted at 2017-1-10 23:55
I don't think it does switch between the 2 frequencies, that was my question - in auto does it monitor both and switch between 2.4 and 5.8 or does it choose one and stick with it?
This might help.

auto has nothing to do with 2.4 or 5.8ghz, you select the one you want to use and it stays there.

Auto switches between the channels to use the best available, and in custom you can lock it to one specific channel.
2017-1-11
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

CW Hobbies Posted at 2016-12-12 12:39
Then why did they add 5.8?

In case you were in a Congested 2.4 area! The Higher the Freq. the less penetration thru trees, buildings etc.
2017-3-4
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
United States

gvgeorge Posted at 2016-12-16 15:56
I'm glad you are making no suggestion since an amplified signal on only one end of of pairing doesn't offer much help for two-way communication.

I'm so Glad someone else who really knows how Radio Waves Work
2017-3-4
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-12-17 22:53
I believe I said bi-amp, and it does help prevent loss of control signal, Not much help for the video but is very good on control.

You mean a REAPETER !!
2017-3-4
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Here is a pretty good video about this:

What we need to be aware of is that:
5.8GHz waves are much shorter than 2.4GHz ones and they do NOT penetrate objects, which means 5.8Ghz should work best if LOS is preserved.
2.4GHz frequency is much more cluttered, so in theory 5.8GHz should work better in urban environment, provided LOS is preserved.

Also, please take a look at the post #11 in this thread: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid685237
It seems that it all depends on the environment, LOS and the altitude we fly at.
2017-3-5
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

There is actually one more video in the thread I mentioned above, which is worth watching in my opinion:
2017-3-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

fans82f30c9f Posted at 2017-1-10 13:10

This is not true.  As Jamie has already pointed out, 5.8 will provide better distance if the 2.4 band is clogged with noise.  And it makes sense.  Otherwise, DJI wouldn't have bothered giving us the option.  
2017-3-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2017-3-4 17:45
In case you were in a Congested 2.4 area! The Higher the Freq. the less penetration thru trees, buildings etc.

Re buildings, I agree.  Re trees, I suggest the 5.8 might have an advantage through trees in certain situations depending on the thickness of the canopy because 2.4 is more inclined to be absorbed by the water in the leaves.  

Re amps - a two-way amp will amplify both incoming and outgoing signals.  

2017-3-5
Use props
fans8bb178b8
New
Flight distance : 3917231 ft
United States

2.4 should get your more range but there is more congestion on that frequency...thus more interference.
2017-7-17
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

2.4Ghz is great for flying in open areas away from the city, because there is less WiFi and Bluetooth interference. Of course if you are flying near homes or businesses using 2.4Ghz, you will get a lot of interference warnings but likely want have issues unless you are flying close to them. As for 5.8Ghz, it would work much better in the city areas as there would be less interference coming from all of the other 2.4Ghz users. This is why DJI added the 5.8Ghz frequency as an option.  5.8Ghz is not good for flying in rural areas or near microwave radio towers, because a lot of commercial microwave radios are on the 5.8Ghz frequency. Most commercial microwave radios are transmitting all over the 5Ghz range and 11Ghz range. To answer the other question of why 2.4Ghz frequency has a longer range than 5.8Ghz. The lower the frequency the less power needed for the radio waves to travel. If your transmitter puts out the same power for both frequencies than the radio waves will travel further at the lower frequency. I hope this helps!
2017-7-17
Use props
djiuser_7zcCJE7
lvl.2
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-12-20 18:49
Yes, I actually have one.  But, if it makes you happy to believe they don't exist,  that's ok too.  You can find one for yourself on ebay if you like.  I have used mine on my Standard, and am limited only by the Phantoms battery life, not by range.

How did you hook this up and can you link to the exact one you're talking about. Very interested! tHanks
2017-7-17
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

nickedw Posted at 2016-12-20 08:12
I'm in the UK and have just learnt this on my second P4P+ flight using 5.8GHz, signal loss with aircraft about 10 metres away from me at a height of about 300 feet, completely unobstructed - really?

were your antennas vertical or horizontal? at that distance (10 meters) and 300 ft (100 meters) your aircraft was practically on your vertical, so if your antennas were vertical  their irradiation pattern wold have been mainly towards the sides, not upwards...
2017-7-17
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

bluemarley67 Posted at 2016-12-20 09:56
guys is it the same in the usa?

In Canada we use similar rules as US. I get further on 5.8Ghz even where I fly in a sparse rural area than 2.4. I get about 2km's in a wooded area at 90m altitude, where my signal has to go through trees. I have both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz Wi-Fi in the house nearby, but I only get interference outside on 2.4Ghz, which I think is the reason I get better range on 5.8Ghz, although they are reasonably close in range.
2017-7-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-12-16 14:06
2.4 is the absolute way to go. I usually keep it on auto and its always on 2.4 and never switches to 5.8. Sounds like i might just pop it manually into 2.4 and leave it at that.

Old thread but still relevant.

Think I'll do the same. The other day I noticed a lot of signal interference alerts on the screen even though nothing was blocking between AC/RC. Weird.
Set to freq to auto but remains at 2.4.
2017-12-6
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-6 10:04
Old thread but still relevant.

Think I'll do the same. The other day I noticed a lot of signal interference alerts on the screen even though nothing was blocking between AC/RC. Weird.

Are you using a Crystalsky by any chance ?
2017-12-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-12-6 15:37
Are you using a Crystalsky by any chance ?

No, I'm not.
2017-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules