Phantom 2 Vision+ will SHUT OFF while flying
7052 18 2014-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lopezfmr
New

United States

I was flying my Phantom II Vision+ at about 300ft height and I wanted to come down fast so I pushed the trottle down all the way (Left Stick) and after 3 sec it completely shut down. The copter crashed and totally destroyed one of the wings... I asked DJI if the sequence to turn off the copter (while in flight) can be changed to the same combination to turn it on, because I think it is ridiculously bad design that you can shut off the copter while in flight just pushing the trottle down for 3 seconds... So be aware and careful when coming down...
2014-10-4
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

I have had that fear. And knowing that I have always never pulled it all the way down.
And I agree there should be another option to shutting it down.
As far as the startup function sequence, I don't think the shutdown should be the same because it will tip the Phantom on some occasions when you try to shut down with the startup sequence. JMO
2014-10-4
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

From what I understand, the only time holding the stick totally down will shut off the Phantom is if there is an exact updraft causing the craft to stay at the EXACT same altitude for 3 seconds or more. Basically countering the descent with an exact upward gust, which makes the Phantom think it has hit the ground and then shuts off the motors. It is an extremely rare chance that this would happen, but I agree it should not even be possible. Just in case!

And the CSC command WILL totally shut down motors, in mid flight, regardless of momentum, or ascent, descent. This could only come in handy in a fly away situation where you are willing to rick the fall to save the craft from flying away.

And I am with hd_ultra 100%. I would NEVER EVER pull straight down causing a perfectly vertical descent. This is just asking for VRS or Prop Wash troubles. I would recommend always giving some rudder or direction in any direction while descending. Just to be safe.
2014-10-4
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I know we have had this discussion before, but just to reiterate, the phantom will NOT shut off the motors if you hold down on the throttle for more than 3 seconds in flight, on the ground, yes.
Also, as stated above, descending straight down is not a good idea unless you are only a few feet above ground and just about to land.
2014-10-4
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

I also have send them a email about this (i didn't have problems but see it online) This is what i have send them and they send it to the developers:

I read also problems that people turn off the motors when they fly (accidentally)
Because they push the 2 sticks down and together.

Sollution:
At moment that P2V+ is on the ground and gets his „Home Point” that level on the ground is 0 meters
When the P2V+ is fly for example 50cm or 1meter above the ground then the turning off motors will be disabled.
SO when you turn down the sticks and together that will not work anymore. If the P2V+ is below the 50cm or 1 meter then
this is available again.

The 50cm or 1 meter is a minimum height that will program in the firmware. Or whatever height will choose.
2014-10-4
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Interesting, your solution would make sense, although for safety reasons there needs to be some way to quickly turn off the motors at anytime.
2014-10-4
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

If the motors feels a unexpected resistance then it can shut down the motors itself. Normal the propellers will have some resistance but its a smooth one.. when motors hit something then its a big resistance so it can shutdown...

Humans can create everything so who not this
2014-10-4
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-5 04:45
I know we have had this discussion before, but just to reiterate, the phantom will NOT shut off the  ...

It was actually confirmed that it is 100% possible that holding the down throttle for 3 seconds COULD turn off the motors in mid flight. But it is ONLY in the EXTREMELY RARE and VERY UNLIKELY situation where you have an updraft that is the exact right force to counter the descent of the Phantom so it does not register an altitude change in that exact moment. This WILL cause the motors to turn off, as the flight controller thinks it has hit solid ground. DJI has confirmed this.
2014-10-5
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-6 01:57
It was actually confirmed that it is 100% possible that holding the down throttle for 3 seconds CO ...

But really, the chances here are so slim, I can't imagine it actually happening. But who knows?!
2014-10-5
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

I was always told not to come straight down, but to zigzag, left-right or something like that.   What did DJI say, if anything.
2014-10-5
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &extra=page%3D2

This was the thread and DJI-Daniel said "Like John said, it won't intelligently unless there's a upward wind to fool the system. So it's highly not recommend to operate in that way."

Personally I still see no way if this happening in flight, and was surprised by his answer, but then since that all DJI support seem to have disappeared from here.
2014-10-6
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT. This guy executed CSC and holding down the throttle during flight to show what would happen. Although rare I suppose an updraft at the wrong time for a few seconds could lead to a shutdown. In any event here is the video: http://youtu.be/heIrawlJ4Vk?list=UUJGWQJHVa_R5S3GjL3x713g
2014-10-6
Use props
ElGuano
lvl.1

United States

Good video, can't believe someone actually tested/video'd CSC in the wild! Sometimes it's good to have a naked Phantom around I guess.

This question came up more frequently with the 3.x firmware and reduced descent speed, since you now have more people holding down the throttle all the way to descend (still a bad idea IMO). The internal barometer on the Phantom is extremely sensitive, and as mentioned it's extremely unlikely to trigger a shutdown if it senses it is actually still in the air.
2014-10-6
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I always shut down the motors after landing by holdong down throttle(only)for 3 seconds.
Yes it will also shut down in mid flight if you do the same.
When throttling down in flight, be sure not to fully throttle down.
Its the same for all RC devices i have ever flown.
2014-12-1
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I always descend using the zig-zag method to prevent wash from the props and never at full down throttle.  It's work so far.
2014-12-1
Use props
max
lvl.3

South Africa

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-1 20:27
I always shut down the motors after landing by holdong down throttle(only)for 3 seconds.
Yes it will ...

OK, so with my version 3, throttle lock down to descend seems like a very bad idea all of a sudden...
I confess this is what I do...
2014-12-1
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

With props off, test this situation. I have tested and practiced 're starting motors in mid flight in case of this emergency, I do not reccomend this though, its possible if your quick.
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Only flown 3 flights, but I have always fully pulled left stick down till it clicks. I was supprised how slow it descended.  Motors did not shut off though.  Never even considered they would to be honest.  You never know what you don't know, till you know lol
2014-12-1
Use props
almiller1963
lvl.1

United States

josephbobowicz@ Posted at 2014-10-6 21:53
CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT. This guy executed CSC and holding down the throttle during flight to show what ...

That video made me cringe.... I would never try that with my Phantom.  Glad someone did for us though.
2014-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules