Mavic down! And only 4 days in.
1576 7 2016-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevHolland
lvl.1

United States

Well, as a newbie pilot, it was bound to happen! 99% it's my fault (it was moving forward, i tapped back to stop it, it kept going forward, crash) but hey, it's still the coolest drone in town!

In all, I'm glad it happened early on. I reconciled the thought of not getting my drone any time soon so getting it as soon as I did was an unexpected dose of awesome. It was a fun 4 days learning the ins and outs. And then the drone learned what the top floor retaining wall of a parking garage looks like. Poor guy flew up, forward, and then it was lights out. But hey, I got to have some fun, I'll send it back for evaluation and a refresh, and I'll dive back in with more knowledge (read: failures)!

So, anyone know what kind of turn-around time I might be able to expect? The body of the thing is cracked, gimbal won't move, no camera feed. It's pretty banged up.

Update 1:
I got my UPS label from DJI via email. I filed the claim last night around 9pm. The UPS label hit my inbox at 8am this morning. Can't beat that! It's already on its way there. The facility I'm sending it to is in Southern California. I live in Northern California. Hopefully it'll get there in a day or two.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, normally the turn-around time is 1-2 weeks after been received at the facility.
Hopefully you'll be back in the air very soon.
2016-12-13
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Bugger, sorry to hear.
Great you are taking it so well.

Hopefully Santa fly's replacement in fast.
Safe flying!
2016-12-13
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

My RMA experience has been amazing! I shipped it from Canada to California and I'll have it back on Thursday; less than two weeks! I can't say enough about their customer service.  
2016-12-13
Use props
TrevHolland
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-13 03:53
Hello, normally the turn-around time is 1-2 weeks after been received at the facility.
Hopefully you'll be back in the air very soon.

Thanks Mindy!  Is there a way to change my shipping address for the replacement? I'll be out of town for 1 week starting next Wednesday. It seems safe to assume I won't get the Mavic back in time before I leave but it sounds like I might be able to get it back while I'm on vacation.
2016-12-13
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Good to hear an honest description of a Mavic's demise and even better to hear someone enjoying the customer service provided by DJI. Hope you get it back as soon as possible.
I'm unclear as to what happened. are you saying the controls didn't respond to the direction you wanted it to go, or did you continue forward when you meant to fly it backwards? Depends where you were relative to the drone with your explanation. I've noticed that even in Tripod mode, you have to anticipate movement in advance because even though the drone moves very slowly, the controls react slowly too, especially in gloomy conditions ref vps. If you move forward at full throttle in Tripod mode (2mph!) it takes a second or so to do an emergency stop as the drone will slowly decelerate before it decides to reverse.
2016-12-13
Use props
TrevHolland
lvl.1

United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-13 16:03
Good to hear an honest description of a Mavic's demise and even better to hear someone enjoying the customer service provided by DJI. Hope you get it back as soon as possible.
I'm unclear as to what happened. are you saying the controls didn't respond to the direction you wanted it to go, or did you continue forward when you meant to fly it backwards? Depends where you were relative to the drone with your explanation. I've noticed that even in Tripod mode, you have to anticipate movement in advance because even though the drone moves very slowly, the controls react slowly too, especially in gloomy conditions ref vps. If you move forward at full throttle in Tripod mode (2mph!) it takes a second or so to do an emergency stop as the drone will slowly decelerate before it decides to reverse.

Well, no need in BSing people. DJI will get the data and call me out on it anyway. Besides, why lie? I have nothing to gain by making it seem like I did everything correctly. Plus, it's my first drone. 4 days in to owning your first drone, I don't think anyone will do everything correctly!

When I was flying around my neighborhood, I noticed that if the drone was moving forward, I could flick the right stick down (reverse) one good time and the drone would stop. In this case, however, the drone did not stop.  My guess is that the drone had way more forward momentum than I thought so the little bit of reverse I gave it wasn't enough. The light was low, it was far enough away, it looked stopped to me at first. Then it hit the wall.

So, I think I should have put on the brakes a little harder. But, what could have happened was the sticks gave out, ensuring my attempt to reverse didn't work. Either way, DJI will get their hands on everything and suss out the details.

But you know, it's just a drone. Sure, it was expensive. And sure, I'm sad it crashed. But I don't need the drone. It's not essential to my survival or my livelihoood. It'll be out of commission for bit, I'll get it back, and I'll have a blast with it all over again!
2016-12-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well I suppose nobody died , sorry to hear about your crash, dji repair service is excellent two weeks you should have it back, good luck ..
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules