2242 6 2016-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sfoto65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 748579 ft
Germany

Hey,
does anyone having quality problems when filming with the Phantom 4 pro against the sun?
There are lot of flares and diffractions at the Phantom 4 pro which makes it most of the time very flat and a bit unsharp.
The quality comparing with my Phantom 3 adv. is very poor.
Look at the screenshots:

Phantom 4 pro

Phantom 4 pro

Phantom 4 pro

Phantom 4 pro

Phantom 4 pro

----------------------

Phantom 3 adv.

Phantom 3 adv

Phantom 3 adv

Phantom 3 adv

Phantom 3 adv
2016-12-13
Use props
Desertrose
lvl.2
United States

sfoto65
I'm interested in knowing what experienced flyer's would suggest as well. I expect to face the same issues at some-point in the future and would like to know if there are any solutions. Are there filters available for the drone camera's?

Happy Flying
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Where is the facepalm emoticon.... I want to complain that the camera does not work underwater.
2016-12-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I case you don't pick up on the subtlety of Geebax's coment.
Don't shoot straight at the sun with any camera.
You won't get a good result with any camera and it's hard to get a good photo that way.
Turn your Phantom around and shoot with the sun instead of against it and you'll see a bit improvement in your photos.
2016-12-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Turn the lens downward a bit, it might take away some of the direct glare. Most camera lenses aren't suitable to be aimed directly at the bright day Sun. Especially with no proper lens filter.
Just today, I bought a petal lens hood for my Phantom 3 Pro that can also reduce the glare and reflection, giving the lens a better advantage by removing much of those distracting anomalies.
But in discussing the four pics that you shared above, the bottom ones have an over exposed area around the bright direct sun.
So that detracts from the pictures focal point, as it takes over the picture in a most unattractive way. Plus they are both quite light in the exposure.
You could perhaps have tapped the screen and placed the focal point exposure down to the left.
For the top pics, which for some reason, I like the most. I actually think the second pic posted is my favourite of the four.
The colour is better, much stronger and the sun flare is like some special effect, we could likely buy filters and gels to Create similarly & intentionally.

Avoid lining up the Sun directly into the front element. Turn slightly away from it. Or buy a Phantom filter pack. The back ground scenery in your pictures, all look like awesome places, with very nice scenery to fly your Phantom. I hope that you'll continue to practice and improve your photography overtime. And continue sharing more of your pics. The small Sony sensors in the Phantom cameras can only do so much. But I have recorded many really incredible videos with the camera on mine. Very impressed by it's ability to capture some amazingly beautiful images, and 4K video. Marvellous.
Good luck.

RedHotPok

2016-12-14
Use props
VasiV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 585814 ft
Romania

It's the difference between f2.8 aperture on your P3 adv vs variable (closed down in this case - maybe F11) aperture in your P4P. Try shooting on AV or M mode with 2.8 aperture and you will get the same white ball.
2016-12-14
Use props
sfoto65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 748579 ft
Germany

Thanks for all the replies.  Yes I used a ND4 for the Phantom 3 but filters for the Phantom 4 pro are not available at the moment. The filters of the Phantom 3 and the normal 4 won't fit.
I'm a pro photographer and know exactly the difference between shooting or filming with or against the sunlight...
If you shoot with a DSLR and close the aperture you get nice sun rays. That was reason why I closed it to F11.
I will try it with open aperture and compare it again with the Phanton 4 pro. Update will follow...
2016-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules