5198 3 2016-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sparkle148
lvl.1
Flight distance : 248776 ft
Portugal

Hello people,

So recently I bought a DJI Phantom 3 4k and so far I've been enjoying it quite a lot. In one of my recent flights I started getting an "week signal" warning in the remote. I was a few meters away and about 60 m high.

No biggie. I researched it a bit and found about the antenna orientation. I had the classic 45º orientation and the aircraft was almost above me, so yeah I guess the loss of signal was expected in that case due to me being a freshman among the class

Today I decided to give it a try in the open and see how far I could go with a 90º antenna orientation. I was a bit disappointed when I started getting the "week signal" warning at about 308m.

Facts:

- First things first, I live in the EU so CE mode on
- I was flying in what you'd probably not consider an urban area (please check the map attached)
- As I said the antenna were at 90º and parallel (keep in mind my phantom is the 3 4k, the remote is the one with two antenna)
- The remote was pointed towards the aircraft
- I was about 60m above the take off point
- The remote channel was chosen automatically
- I have the latest firmware and DJI GO app
- Healthydrones flight log analysis showed strong signal all the time (to my complete surprise?)

Now I'm wondering, is the signal weakening at 300m is normal in this case? I hear a lot of P3S users saying such, but given this remote has two antenna I was expecting to get somewhere near the 500m specified by DJI.

Any suggestion on something I could be doing wrong, or let me rephrase it, something I could improve the signal strength?

Cheers

flightmap

flightmap
2016-12-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

You can fly past the weak signal warning. As I do so all of the time. And depending on the area, you might be able fly even like 50% further. Although some conditions the signal could drop further right away. Normally you would have setup doing a RTH (return to home) after 3 seconds of loss of signal. Don't forget to set your return to home height enough so it won't crash into anything on the way back. The signal should be strong enough right away and you can cancel RTH and continue flying.
2016-12-13
Use props
Skean
New

Switzerland

Very interested to hear any responses on this. Brand new Phantom 3 4k for Christmas and I am getting signal drop at about 50m altitude + 50m distance in an open field, and considerably less in urban areas - it was dropping at 20m altitude + 0m distance on my driveway until I experimented with the antenna position, and it now maintains a signal with warnings to a reasonable height.

Happily, RTH has functioned in all cases I've lost signal; the only issue being the GPS positioning is, as one would expect, accurate to within about 5-10 metres. The signal has always picked up again as the drone comes down and I've managed to avoid landing in neighbours gardens or on their cars :-)
2016-12-30
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Due to the controller being in CE I wouldn't expect much further. They're ways you can change/unlock FCC in the UK (youtube or google it), you can also try an Itelite range extender.
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules