Abandoned Hotel on the island of Malta. DJI Mavic Pro
2493 17 2016-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

This is my first Drone and first edit of my life so please don't be so harsh But I accept constructive criticism and suggestions.Thanks   

2016-12-13
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

PRECIOUS! (See what I did there?)  Very nice video.

About 12 years ago, before things turned into such a s#!t-show, I was rotating in and out of Libya in the petroleum sector.  At one point, I spent a 5 day period waiting in Malta for my entrance visa to Libya, and so got to see quite a bit of that tiny rock island.  Your pictures remind me so much of how grandiose projects get started and then run out of money and never get finished in that area.  Libya was filled with open-faced hi-rises that only went to the cement stage, and then sat for decades.  We used to joke that the Libyans were great at pouring cement, but not so much in the finishing area.  Thanks for the memories!
2016-12-13
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Nice Video but it was a little jittery unless it was my Mac book slowing up.....
2016-12-13
Use props
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

Visual Air Posted at 2016-12-14 04:26
Nice Video but it was a little jittery unless it was my Mac book slowing up.....

I also noticed that after I uploaded but I blamed my slow internet connection. If you are talking about the jitter of the mavic I'm sure there is some.
2016-12-13
Use props
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-14 04:25
PRESCIOUS! (See what I did there?)  Very nice video.

About 12 years ago, before things turned into such a s#!t-show, I was rotating in and out of Libya in the petroleum sector.  At one point, I spent a 5 day period waiting in Malta for my entrance visa to Libya, and so got to see quite a bit of that tiny rock island.  Your pictures remind me so much of how grandiose projects get started and then run out of money and never get finished in that area.  Libya was filled with open-faced hi-rises that only went to the cement stage, and then sat for decades.  We used to joke that the Libyans were great at pouring cement, but not so much in the finishing area.  Thanks for the memories!

Yeah been there too back in 2000-2002 and I know exactly what you are talking about, I always wondered how those highrises held up on such a thin wall and the bricks were like made by 2 year old children.

12 years ago you should have seen this Hotel at its best, it closed in 2007 for some odd reason. God knows how many times I got kicked out of there cos I used to sneak into their pools.

2016-12-13
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

scilia Posted at 2016-12-14 11:54
Yeah been there too back in 2000-2002 and I know exactly what you are talking about, I always wondered how those highrises held up on such a thin wall and the bricks were like made by 2 year old children.

12 years ago you should have seen this Hotel at its best, it closed in 2007 for some odd reason. God knows how many times I got kicked out of there cos I used to sneak into their pools.

So its was operating and then was abandoned? Wow.
Awesome video its amazing how many of these types of places exist around the world in seemingly very picturesque places. Hard to believe they could leave it like that.
Great video! Was a bit jumpy for me too and i wondered if it was my internet connection but seeing others comment, maybe the exporting?
Congrats on your first video. Way better than my first
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video, looks like it would have been a really nice hotel.
2016-12-13
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

very cool!
2016-12-13
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Loved it, thanks!
2016-12-13
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

ND filter needed.
2016-12-14
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Makes me sad, looks like a war zone, but no it's just another failure of the EU

Great video, and thanks for sharing
2016-12-14
Use props
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

Thanks, I'll check what an ND filter is as I have heard people mentioning it in other posts
2016-12-14
Use props
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-14 13:13
Makes me sad, looks like a war zone, but no it's just another failure of the EU

Great video, and thanks for sharing

Thanks for the comments, while I would agree with you on most of EU Failures this is not one of them or at least they had no part in it until now. Quoting WiKi
The land originally belonged to Franciscan Conventuals and Ivan Burridge, who sold it to San Tumas Holdings. In 1976, San Tumas sold the plot to the Libyan Foreign Investment Company. The Jerma Palace Hotel was subsequently built, and it was opened in 1982. The hotel was managed by Corinthia Hotels International through a management agreement.[1] Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi had a presidential suite within the hotel.[2]

Now all we know is once the said agreement expired so did this once luxurious (in her time) hotel. The current issue now is between the Current owners of the land with their extravagant plans and the very proud people of the area.
2016-12-14
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

scilia Posted at 2016-12-14 16:27
Thanks for the comments, while I would agree with you on most of EU Failures this is not one of them or at least they had no part in it until now. Quoting WiKi
The land originally belonged to Franciscan Conventuals and Ivan Burridge, who sold it to San Tumas Holdings. In 1976, San Tumas sold the plot to the Libyan Foreign Investment Company. The Jerma Palace Hotel was subsequently built, and it was opened in 1982. The hotel was managed by Corinthia Hotels International through a management agreement.[1] Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi had a presidential suite within the hotel.[2]

I stand corrected. Just thought dates of closure, links to Gaddafi, used to smuggle in illegals, sounds like the EU interfering to me.

http://corinthia-jerma-palace.marsaskala.hotels-mt.com/en/ - is this the same place ?

"All 326 airy guest rooms" - well they are certainly airy now
2016-12-14
Use props
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-14 18:34
I stand corrected. Just thought dates of closure, links to Gaddafi, used to smuggle in illegals, sounds like the EU interfering to me.

http://corinthia-jerma-palace.marsaskala.hotels-mt.com/en/ - is this the same place ?

Yep that's the one, but I don't suggest booking now as winds from the East are hash and you might get wet.
2016-12-14
Use props
Maurits
lvl.1

Netherlands

Very nice shots !
2016-12-14
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Wow, it's sad to see something so beautiful fail. Some people that live nearby see an eyesore and others as their loss of income.
I'm not sure if it's past the point of no return with all the concrete being exposed to the salt air.

2016-12-14
Use props
scilia
lvl.2

Malta

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-15 05:21
Wow, it's sad to see something so beautiful fail. Some people that live nearby see an eyesore and others as their loss of income.
I'm not sure if it's past the point of no return with all the concrete being exposed to the salt air.

It did pass the point of no return and the plans are ti demolish and to build 3 high rises,  one to be a hotel and two others as luxury apartments. the problem with the locals is that the plans show that a large part of a very frequented swimming area will be taken over. Mind you the plans are not yet approved.
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules