Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video only records for about 20 seconds than stops.
9178 16 2016-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5a5e17a9
lvl.1

United States

My Phantom 3 advanced will only record about 20 seconds of video than stop recording.....  The SD card is not full so thats not the problem.....any suggestions or ideas of why this is happening?  Thanks.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

May I know how long you've owned the aircraft? When you notice the recording issue?
The firmware for both AC and RC is up to date, right?
There is no issue for photos, right?
It crashed or hard landing before?Besides, this is the original SD card, and you've formatted it and checked again?
2016-12-15
Use props
timbo
lvl.2
United States

I have used aftermarket sd cards and the same thing happened, make sure you use the high speed cards.
2016-12-15
Use props
joecat818
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-15 06:49
May I know how long you've owned the aircraft? When you notice the recording issue?
The firmware for both AC and RC is up to date, right?
There is no issue for photos, right?

Sorry it has been a while since I checked this.  Thanks for answering.  I noticed this problem when I first starting using the drone.  I bought it from a friend and he did not mention anything about a crash or such.  It did have it in only a small memory sd card which I have just replaced with a 32G.  I think the old one was 8g.  But I haven't tried it yet.  Pretty sure firmware is up to date, I will check that and Ill make sure the card is formatted.  No issues with photos that I noticed.
2017-1-9
Use props
joecat818
lvl.1

United States

timbo Posted at 2016-12-15 10:45
I have used aftermarket sd cards and the same thing happened, make sure you use the high speed cards.

thanks.  Just bought a high speed card with larger capacity. Haven't tried it yet.
2017-1-9
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I have had the exact problem. It was the card. In fact the card worked ok for a few weeks then started with this problem. Replaced the card with the same and it did the same after a couple weeks. Was using Sandisk Ultra. Now using Sandisk Extreme Pro. So far so good.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

joecat818 Posted at 2017-1-9 10:16
Sorry it has been a while since I checked this.  Thanks for answering.  I noticed this problem when I first starting using the drone.  I bought it from a friend and he did not mention anything about a crash or such.  It did have it in only a small memory sd card which I have just replaced with a 32G.  I think the old one was 8g.  But I haven't tried it yet.  Pretty sure firmware is up to date, I will check that and Ill make sure the card is formatted.  No issues with photos that I noticed.

Thanks for the details, please keep us posted with your test result.
2017-1-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-9 13:48
I have had the exact problem. It was the card. In fact the card worked ok for a few weeks then started with this problem. Replaced the card with the same and it did the same after a couple weeks. Was using Sandisk Ultra. Now using Sandisk Extreme Pro. So far so good.

This is known. The Sandisk Ultra is on the border of being OK, but will fail from time to time, whereas the Sandisk Extreme Pro is well and truly fast enough. I have been warning people against using the Ultra on here for quite some time now.
2017-1-10
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-10 01:03
This is known. The Sandisk Ultra is on the border of being OK, but will fail from time to time, whereas the Sandisk Extreme Pro is well and truly fast enough. I have been warning people against using the Ultra on here for quite some time now.

Interestingly enough, the Ultra came with the drone as a bundled purchase from Amazon.
2017-1-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-10 06:58
Interestingly enough, the Ultra came with the drone as a bundled purchase from Amazon.

That's fine, but Amazon knows jacks**t about what is required. In theory, it should work because it meets the 'Class 10' requirment, but that is a poor indicator of the speed of the card, the most important parameter is sustained writing speed.
2017-1-10
Use props
Tobda rongkup
New
Nepal

Yes we need to use spark sd card with formatting on mobile device then u can enjoy video  recording ..
2017-12-31
Use props
Tobda rongkup
New
Nepal

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-9 13:48

Yes I appreciate
2017-12-31
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-10 06:58

DJI themselves actually put the 8Gb Ultra Card in the box .... so its a DJI matter - not Amazon.

But the short record and stop is typical card failure due to its WRITE speed being bang on borderline spec.

If you downgrade the recording to eg 1080 - then you'll probably find the card will record without stopping.

Its not even a specific grade of card ... I have a 32Gb card that does 4K fine in my P3P ... but stops recording about 30 secs in my GoPro 4 .... another 32Gb card when I tap record, 4K - a popup box comes up on the GO screen telling me card is too slow ... it does record but not cleanly.
So to the shop I went for fastest card I could get !

I already knew this but like many tended to not check fully card labels ... and the guy reminded me ...

Packaging is clear on READ speed ... nice and bold ... but look at the lesser print - the WRITE speed ... that's the real important factor to look for ... todays video gear pushes write speed capabilities to limits ...

Nigel
2017-12-31
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-31 08:00
DJI themselves actually put the 8Gb Ultra Card in the box .... so its a DJI matter - not Amazon.

But the short record and stop is typical card failure due to its WRITE speed being bang on borderline spec.

In my case, DJI supplied a Panasonic 16g card with the drone which seemed to work fine.
Amazon put the package together which included the Ultra card.

Who's dredging up these old threads?
2017-12-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-12-31 18:14
In my case, DJI supplied a Panasonic 16g card with the drone which seemed to work fine.
Amazon put the package together which included the Ultra card.

It must be the Zombie New Year....
2017-12-31
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2026903 ft
United States

I had same problem, I was deleting files off the card and that was the problem!
Try this with card in aircraft reformat card using the Go app on your device.
Never had a problem again!
2017-12-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

John Hansey Posted at 2017-12-31 19:01
I had same problem, I was deleting files off the card and that was the problem!
Try this with card in aircraft reformat card using the Go app on your device.
Never had a problem again!

Correct. Deleting files off the card does not remove the heaps of hidden files generated by the aircraft.
2017-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules