Newbie question regarding 4-K Codec
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Desertrose
lvl.2
United States

Hello Flyers...

Can someone please give me an idea as to where I can acquire the video-viewing program, or particular codec needed to view 4-K video? Today I climbed 2000 ft or-so up the side of a local mountain to capture some video, it was my third flight with the P3P. As soon as I returned home I removed the micro sd card, placed it into an adapter, and then into my laptop to view it. Windows media player informed me that I don't have the appropriate 'codec'. At some point in the near future I expect to purchase a decent video editing program, but until then I'd prefer to find a free means of viewing the footage.

The HP that I took-off from was not even close to level as the incline of the mountain was somewhat steep. I began recording before liftoff and after a 5-10 minute flight brought the aircraft within reach, carefully grabbed it by the landing gear and powered it down. I didn't feel confident in trying to land it in the traditional way. I hope I'm not creating any problem by doing this, and was fortunate that there was barely any wind at the time making the grab relatively easy. I peeked at the recorded clip on the GO-app only to realize that there were two 23 second-clips, rather than the 5-10 minute clip that I was expecting. The first 23 second clip was recorded before liftoff and the second began 23 seconds before I shut down the aircraft. I don't understand how this occured and was more than a little disappointed.

Minutes later I did a second flight and didn't activate the record button until 20-30 seconds after liftoff. The length of this second flight's video is just under 5 minutes although I haven't been able to view it so-far through my laptop due to my Window's Media Player lacking the proper codec.

Along with the P3P, my wife purchased me the hard backpack carry case for it, which made getting the equiptment up & down the mountainside a breeze. I'm not familiar with anything related to the drone let-alone it's case, and packed everything into it the only reasonable way that I could. I feared having the camera swinging within the case while carrying it, so decided to place the small piece of foam used in its initial shipment from DJI. I'm referring to the small piece with the "Remove Before Flying" sticker on it that fits between the camera and the Gimbal. When I arrived home I realized in my excitement to liftoff on the mountainside, I neglected to remove it. I hoping that I haven't caused any damage, and plan to take another short flight later to find out.

Anyway if anyone can recommend a free program through which I can view today's video footage that's also safe and free from malware, I'd very-much appreciate the heads up. I'm enjoying the honeymoon stage that I'm currently experiencing with my P3P, and hope that it continues to be this much fun for well into the future. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions relating to 4-K video viewing programs or necessary codec's in order to view through the Windows Media Player.

Desertrose

2016-12-14
Use props
Gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Don't bother with a bunch of codecs.  Get a free copy of the http://www.flvviewer.com/. It will handle lots of things that will choke Media Player.
2016-12-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Unfortunately, many computers just don't have the necessary grunt to view 4K files, and it is quite possible your laptop is in that category. Also, don't waste your time trying to playback a file from the SD card, it will probably be too slow. Copy the file from the SD card onto your hard drive and then play it. And Gil's suggestion is also important, Media PLayer is not the best viewer either.
2016-12-14
Use props
Desertrose
lvl.2
United States

GIL & Geebax -
Thank you both for the help. I'm fairly certain that my problem was related to my using a Windows 7 laptop, which is no-longer supported by updates. I'm able to view the video now.

Very much appreciated!

Desertrose
2016-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules