No Fly Zone
1970 8 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2Blades
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99908 ft
United States

I searched but didn't find what I'm looking for...

The B4UFLY app shows me in a totally restricted area (NFZ) but after further inspections and actually finding the maps we are NOT in a NFZ.  

My question is that I have heard that the DJI's would not even take off here (hobby shop person but he was not sure if he was right).  Is this a possibility
that I could run into this problem?  I don't want to purchase one if I can't take a small flight.  I'm stuck between two milatary airfields and a small private airport.  
All of which I'm lucky to be over 7 miles to the closest one!

I spoke with the FAA and was directed to the milatary base and flight control told me they don't care about me flying around my house as long as I'm below
400 feet (he even said he didn't care because my done would not make it to their airfield from here!  Nice to hear some joking concerning drones!).

Do the DJI's have such protection?  I just looked at a thread "Safe Fly" with map and it does not even show anything around me.

Thanks for anyones help and can't wait to get a real drone, I started off over 3 years ago with the Blade.

2016-12-15
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

I use this app and its free. If you put in the address a pink circle will appear for NFZ and the bird wont even take off inside the dark pink circle and is height restricted in the lighter pink circle. Just download and type in an address and make sure you have NFZ switched on in the setting and it will show you. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/uav-forecast/id1050023752?mt=8
2016-12-15
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Is there an app for android or PC?

Thanks for the reply!
2016-12-16
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

I've found that the B4UFLY app tends to flag anything that remotely qualifies as an airport, including helipads for hospitals and law enforcement stations. Unfortunately, if you download the DJI Go app before you buy your drone, you won't be able to use it to check for no-fly status, as it will not load full functionality unless you pair it with a drone through the controller.

I am told the DJI Go app will prevent the drone from flying if it detects that you're too close to an airport, but I have not tested that yet.

Incidentally, I made my first flight with my Phantom in a park on the southeast side of Tucson. At the time, the B4UFLY app did not flag it as being too close to any airports, but the next day, the app showed that the same park was now within the 5 mile radius from a helicopter training facility for local law enforcement. Not sure why it did not show that on Sunday, but it did on Monday.
2016-12-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

To answer your question, there are Restricted Zones and Warning zones. The restricted ones are red, the warning zones are yellow. You cannot fly inside a restricted zone, the motors will not start. And if you attempt to fly into one from outside, the aircraft will land automatically when you reach it. And that could be embarrassing if it happens to land in an inconvenient spot.

The yellow warning zones are not as restrictive, you can 'self-authorise' yourself to fly in them by an on-line procedure you go through prior to leaving home. You then then fly in the area, observing the normal rules, for one day, and you must then self-authorise again.
2016-12-16
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-16 20:35
To answer your question, there are Restricted Zones and Warning zones. The restricted ones are red, the warning zones are yellow. You cannot fly inside a restricted zone, the motors will not start. And if you attempt to fly into one from outside, the aircraft will land automatically when you reach it. And that could be embarrassing if it happens to land in an inconvenient spot.

The yellow warning zones are not as restrictive, you can 'self-authorise' yourself to fly in them by an on-line procedure you go through prior to leaving home. You then then fly in the area, observing the normal rules, for one day, and you must then self-authorise again.

When you say "there are Restricted Zones and Warning zones" are you talking about what the DJI app shows (I hope!) or the FAA B4UFLY?
2016-12-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

2Blades Posted at 2016-12-29 09:17
When you say "there are Restricted Zones and Warning zones" are you talking about what the DJI app shows (I hope!) or the FAA B4UFLY?

I am talking about the zones on the DJI map, the B4UFLY app is only applicable to the US, whereas the DJI zones exist in most countries in the world.
2016-12-29
Use props
2Blades
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-29 13:54
I am talking about the zones on the DJI map, the B4UFLY app is only applicable to the US, whereas the DJI zones exist in most countries in the world.

Thanks for the reply.  I really wish I could run the DJI app without a drone to check the restrictions, I hate to get one then find out I cannot fly it.  Guess I'll run by Best Buy and see if I can get them to run the app.  Maybe I can fly their "demo" model
2016-12-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

2Blades Posted at 2016-12-30 03:39
Thanks for the reply.  I really wish I could run the DJI app without a drone to check the restrictions, I hate to get one then find out I cannot fly it.  Guess I'll run by Best Buy and see if I can get them to run the app.  Maybe I can fly their "demo" model

You can look at the DJI map on-line: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules