Compass Disconnected
3923 17 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

Whats up guys, I got my mavic yesterday and have been having compass issues from the get go. I thought it was a calibration issue but I have tried with no avail in multiple fields. No metal on my body (wearing sweats) and control,phone, keys etc left at least 20ft away. I even tried resetting the mavic to the factory settings. After several attempts I noticed that I wasn't getting any readings in the sensor display and it said to check the compass module installation? How do I do that/is my compass defective? Ill attach a screenshot for reference. Also the mavic was never crashed and barely flown when issues began.
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi colinwebb, please post a screenshot of the compass values and error message here. I'll help to check it.
2016-12-15
Use props
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-16 00:39
Hi colinwebb, please post a screenshot of the compass values and error message here. I'll help to check it.

I always get the ground magnetic disturbance message. Have tried in multiple fields and even in a different town in the country and recieve the message. I tried recalibrating the IMU, then the compass, then the remote, and the gimbal as I was once instructed and still don't get values for the compass.
Compass values.png
Initial Message.png
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

colinwebb Posted at 2016-12-21 08:56
I always get the ground magnetic disturbance message. Have tried in multiple fields and even in a different town in the country and recieve the message. I tried recalibrating the IMU, then the compass, then the remote, and the gimbal as I was once instructed and still don't get values for the compass.

You are calibrating with it unfolded ready for flight correct?
You can also try refreshing the firmware.
2016-12-21
Use props
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

The IMU calibration is being done in the folded position without the propellers per the instructions in the app. The Compass is being calibrated unfolded, with the propellers on, in an open field, controller, 5-10 yards away, and no metal on my person like keys etc. One interesting thing to note is that the only time I get compass readings is directly after a IMU calibration while the wings are still. When I unfold the arms it to prepare for  flight it asks me to restart the mavic. At that point I restart it and get the same warning and any further attempts to calibrate the compass or get compass readings do nothing but fail.
2016-12-21
Use props
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

Just tried refreshing the firmware and went through the same process as above yielding the same results.
2016-12-21
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Out of interest where are you calibrating the compass ? open field ?.. front yard? driveway ?

Seems to be a lot of compass issues from the users on this forum ... are they mostly user error? ... how far do we really need to be from metal objects to successfully calibrate? metal is almost everywhere ... plumbing pipes,steel reinforcement, old earth cabling etc etc etc ... I've lost a rifle clip in a paddock at the farm, out one night spotlighting... the next day i hired a metal detector to look for the lost clip and was amazed at how much metal i was picking up almost everywhere in the middle of a paddock..... will these small bits of metal just under the surface cause a poor compass calibration rendering the mavic unsafe?

Would be great to get your thoughts on this @DJI-Ken
2016-12-21
Use props
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-12-21 13:44
Out of interest where are you calibrating the compass ? open field ?.. front yard? driveway ?

Seems to be a lot of compass issues from the users on this forum ... are they mostly user error? ... how far do we really need to be from metal objects to successfully calibrate? metal is almost everywhere ... plumbing pipes,steel reinforcement, old earth cabling etc etc etc ... I've lost a rifle clip in a paddock at the farm, out one night spotlighting... the next day i hired a metal detector to look for the lost clip and was amazed at how much metal i was picking up almost everywhere in the middle of a paddock..... will these small bits of metal just under the surface cause a poor compass calibration rendering the mavic unsafe?

I've tried multiple locations from front yard, to middle of a soccer field, to the open field at my fiance's farm.  Distance from buildings has varied from 10 yards to 75 yards.
2016-12-21
Use props
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken any thoughts?
2016-12-21
Use props
wakj180
lvl.1
Flight distance : 620105 ft
Australia

I have the exact same symtoms as you with my Mavic. I see compass readings after IMU calibration but then a constant compass error after restart. Can't calibrate the compass even in a huge open field.

Tried to refresh the firmware and also do a vision system calibration using assistant 2 and no luck.

Did you work it out colinwebb?
2016-12-28
Use props
colinwebb
lvl.1

United States

No I was never able to and was told to send it in under warranty.
2016-12-28
Use props
fansc05120fe
New
Flight distance : 2155860 ft
Brazil

I just bought my mavic... and Having the exact same issue.... the only solution was send it back to dji for real? nothing else? =/
2017-3-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

fansc05120fe Posted at 2017-3-26 08:02
I just bought my mavic... and Having the exact same issue.... the only solution was send it back to dji for real? nothing else? =/

Go in the assistant and reset defaults. Should put you back to factory calibration. Worth a shot.
2017-3-26
Use props
SkyHigh UAV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2838921 ft
Australia

fansc05120fe Posted at 2017-3-26 08:02

Has to go back, I had the same problem last week.
2017-3-26
Use props
Shafanjum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5154 ft
India

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-21 08:00
You are calibrating with it unfolded ready for flight correct?
You can also try refreshing the firmware.

DJI Ken- i am experiencing compass error - i tried caliberating in a diffrent places where no magnetic interference and finaly peformed facotry reset as well but no luck!! The problm still exist- can u pls advice? Thnx
Rgds shafeek India.
Screenshot_20170829-122816.png
2017-8-28
Use props
tzeseng_
lvl.1
Malaysia

encounter the same issue, just bought no more than 5 days...
2018-2-4
Use props
fans37548779
lvl.1

Brazil

colinwebb Posted at 2016-12-21 18:47
DJI-Ken any thoughts?

Hi. Were are the Compass in DJI Spark?
2018-5-14
Use props
xrfixer1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 427 ft

United States

tzeseng_ Posted at 2018-2-4 07:51
encounter the same issue, just bought no more than 5 days...
[view_image]

Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having the same problem.
2018-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules