DJI Mavic Pro - iPad Mini 4 with our without cellular?
635092 635092 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeff Davis
New
United States

I recently purchased a DJI Mavic Pro with the "bundle."

Considering several options for a screen.

If I purchase a Apple iPad Mini 4 without cellular connection (just WIFI) are there any disadvantages versus a iPad Min 4 with cellular service?

What if this system will be used in areas with no cellular coverage? Is there any benefit from having a cellular enabled iPad 4 even when the cellular system is off? For example, is there a GPS operating within the cellular enabled iPad mini that supports the DJI connection with the Mavic in some way?

If I am going to Sierra Leone, Africa for a documentary trip, is it possible to download the maps through WIFI in advance? How is this done?

Thank you,

Jeff

2016-12-15
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

You wont have to worry about cellular connection, I use my old phone a iPhone 6+ thats disconnected to fly my Mavic.
2016-12-15
Use props
Matt W Ruff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 601178 ft
  • >>>
United States

The controller is designed for a phone (iPhone 7+, 6+, 6s+) our the best
2016-12-15
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Matt W Ruff Posted at 2016-12-15 20:45
The controller is designed for a phone (iPhone 7+, 6+, 6s+) our the best

I use an IPad Mini 4 which fits just fine in the controller arms.  My Mini is WiFi only, so no need for cellular capabilities.
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Jeff, you can cache the map through wifi in advance. Just zoom in and zoom out the place you want to fly in the map for several times.
2016-12-15
Use props
Five-O
lvl.2
Flight distance : 261355 ft
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-15 22:55
I use an IPad Mini 4 which fits just fine in the controller arms.  My Mini is WiFi only, so no need for cellular capabilities.

Petro, can you post a pic with the controller and IPad Mini 4? I am contemplating buying the mini 4 just for the Mavic, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and have read many times that the S7 is not compatible.
2016-12-17
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Canada

Five-O Posted at 2016-12-17 13:13
Petro, can you post a pic with the controller and IPad Mini 4? I am contemplating buying the mini 4 just for the Mavic, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and have read many times that the S7 is not compatible.

Sure, here's a couple of pix if they help:

It helps to get the short 8" right-angled USB-Lightning cable to keep things neat.  I'm sure there's other places, but I ordered a couple from here:

https://www.allputer.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=Super+Short+Angled+Lightning+Cable+for+Data+%2F+Charging+for+iPhone+%2F+iPad+Air%2C+Pro%2C+Mini+%2F+iPod+%28AP005264%29+++&x=29&y=8

Front view

Front view

Back view

Back view
2016-12-17
Use props
Five-O
lvl.2
Flight distance : 261355 ft
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-17 17:15

It helps to get the short 8" right-angled USB-Lightning cable to keep things neat.  I'm sure there's other places, but I ordered a couple from here:

Thanks for the response, great info!
2016-12-17
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

your going to wish at some point you bought one with wifi/cellular for some of the flight modes plus without cellular that has the gps in it, it is able to return to RC and not just birds take off point, i bout ipad mini 2 wifi and immediately sold it for the reasons i just listed, if you dont plan to change locations during flight like i do in a boat where i can be 2 miles away from where i took off from your good and i believe for follow me mode and active track you need gps but not possitive on that one.
2016-12-17
Use props
djiNE0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9833 ft
United States

I use iPad mini4 with NO cellular....
2016-12-17
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Mavvy Posted at 2016-12-18 07:21
your going to wish at some point you bought one with wifi/cellular for some of the flight modes plus without cellular that has the gps in it, it is able to return to RC and not just birds take off point, i bout ipad mini 2 wifi and immediately sold it for the reasons i just listed, if you dont plan to change locations during flight like i do in a boat where i can be 2 miles away from where i took off from your good and i believe for follow me mode and active track you need gps but not possitive on that one.

You need cellular for changing the home point to the RC mid-flight and for follow me but not for active track.
2016-12-17
Use props
Aussiesmuggler
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26250 ft
Australia

I am having trouble downloading dpi go app 4 for Mavic on my iPad . I have it on my iPhone 6 that is working fine but everytime I try to download it onto the iPad it comes up with (This app is not compatible with your device)  Dose it only download onto one product? Frustrating!!!!
2016-12-17
Use props
speedizzle
New

Germany

What's wrong with just setting up your (i)Phone hotspot and connecting to that with the iPad's wifi? That way you won't need any cellular on the iPad.
2017-1-9
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Aussiesmuggler Posted at 2016-12-17 19:47
I am having trouble downloading dpi go app 4 for Mavic on my iPad . I have it on my iPhone 6 that is working fine but everytime I try to download it onto the iPad it comes up with (This app is not compatible with your device)  Dose it only download onto one product? Frustrating!!!!

I have it on multiple IOS devices and had no issues downloading.

Any chance you're trying to download it to a gen 1 iPad?

I'm not saying this is definitively the case, but the issue you eventually run into with older IOS devices is that the device will only be supported up to a certain revision of IOS, and then newer apps aren't necessarily developed to be backwards compatible with those older IOS versions, essentially making the hardware (indirectly) unsupported by the app.

Just a thought...
2017-1-9
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356542 ft
United States

speedizzle Posted at 2017-1-9 13:39
What's wrong with just setting up your (i)Phone hotspot and connecting to that with the iPad's wifi? That way you won't need any cellular on the iPad.

Would doing that update it's GPS position as well?
2017-2-10
Use props
mstevens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19078 ft
United States

QuantX Posted at 2017-2-10 16:20

No, it won't.

The other thing that's "wrong with" using a phone as a hotspot to provide data (e.g., for maps) to a tablet is that not all carriers enable this feature without a significant upcharge.
2017-3-15
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356542 ft
United States

mstevens Posted at 2017-3-15 18:45
No, it won't.

The other thing that's "wrong with" using a phone as a hotspot to provide data (e.g., for maps) to a tablet is that not all carriers enable this feature without a significant upcharge.

I forgot about them charging extra for the hotspot usage.  Thanks for that reminder!
2017-3-21
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

QuantX Posted at 2017-3-21 05:34
I forgot about them charging extra for the hotspot usage.  Thanks for that reminder!

I use this on a Mini4 Wifi for GPS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYAZENY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and just put it in my pockect.  There is a belt clip available.

Works great.

2017-3-21
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

you can get a used ipad mini cellular for rather cheap off ebay $300 if you dont mind used. i purchased the mav mount to hold the tablet and im super happy I did. I love it!
2017-3-21
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

rparge Posted at 2017-3-21 06:04
I use this on a Mini4 Wifi for GPS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYAZENY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why not get an Ipad Cellular in the first place? It's cheaper and you won't have to add an extra device...
2017-3-21
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

http://www.gamestop.com/ipad/tab ... -refurbished/138918
2017-3-21
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
United States

chalde Posted at 2017-3-21 07:20
Why not get an Ipad Cellular in the first place? It's cheaper and you won't have to add an extra device...

Yeah, but I had this way before The Mavic entered my life.  (:
2017-3-21
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

QuantX Posted at 2017-2-10 16:20

The only occasion I can think of where you would need to use the cellular GPS location is if you were moving your RTH position.  That can be done from the map also (carefully).
2017-3-21
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-3-21 09:57
The only occasion I can think of where you would need to use the cellular GPS location is if you were moving your RTH position.  That can be done from the map also (carefully).

The reason I picked up the Garmin was I saw entries in the flight record that stated "No GPS".
After that, all the entries now have a location. <shrug>
2017-3-21
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

rparge Posted at 2017-3-21 10:01
The reason I picked up the Garmin was I saw entries in the flight record that stated "No GPS".
After that, all the entries now have a location.

The flight log GPS location comes from the GPS located in the Mavik.  It could be that you were in a location where there was interference or insufficient GPS coverage for a good fix..

It may take a few seconds for the Mavik to get a good GPS fix.  Always let it hover at takeoff until you get a good GPS indication
2017-3-21
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-3-21 11:13
The flight log GPS location comes from the GPS located in the Mavik.  It could be that you were in a location where there was interference or insufficient GPS coverage for a good fix..

It may take a few seconds for the Mavik to get a good GPS fix.  Always let it hover at takeoff until you get a good GPS indication

Thank you, sir, great advice!
2017-3-21
Use props
fans8a6b0acd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170430 ft
Portugal

Good night!

I dont understand one think, the apple ipad mini 4 wi-fi only dont have GPS? I see in many sites talk about A-GPS, this only work if i have a hotspot with my phone active?

I want to buy one, but with cellular is expensive for me   the differences with ipad mini 4 and ipad mini 2 with Dji Go 4 is significant?  

Thanks
2017-3-21
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Apple just did a price drop on the mini 4, $ 399. Us. For wifi and 529. For wifi/cellular. They have a new iPad coming out soon so they decided to drop the mini 4 price now.
2017-3-21
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-17 14:15

Petro,
If I may ask , where did you get that lightning cable from ????
2017-3-21
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Mavvy Posted at 2016-12-17 15:21

Interesting.

On my boat...
I have a mini no cell, and can not run GPS nav programs on my boat. There is not an internal GPS so it always showed my position several hundred feet away.

I therefore had to get a full size iPad, no cell, but it does have an internal GPS, so the boats nav system could be used.

Ok, back to the mavic....

I am using a mini, no cell. Flies ok, but RTH not working...is this why..IE, no cellular to triangulate position?

So to get the full features with an iPad you need cell?
2017-3-21
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Canada

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-21 17:31
Petro,
If I may ask , where did you get that lightning cable from ????

https://www.allputer.com/index.p ... mp;products_id=2888

Be prepared to wait awhile.  They must ship via steamship.
2017-3-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMO  buy the iPad mini4 version with Wi-Fi / Cellular .  The main reason is this version has GPS and barometer modules included in the hardware.  You do not need to have cell service for these items to work.  If you use any of the autonomous features you will need the GPS for tracking the remote.

I own one it is works awesome

Rich
2017-3-21
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-3-21 17:50
Interesting.

On my boat...

The Home Point is typically determined by the Mavic's start position (internal Mavik GPS).  It is important to allow the Mavic to hover, after takeoff, a moment until the home position is obtained.  If you boat moves or drifts, the Mavic will not know the boat's new location and will RTH to the starting position....unless you have a means of knowing where to set a new RTH position. That's where your phone or tablet GPS comes in handy.  Remember, you can fly with the RC only (no phone or tab) and RTH will work based on starting location.
2017-3-22
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

I didn't  realize the new iPad minis have a GPS, and cell service is not required. Setting up a new phone contract was the reason I didn't buy one. If I can get access to all of the mavic features with the mini, and no cell service, then i will bite the bullet, and buy one.

I realize RTH won't work properly on a moving boat. All of my flying so far has been on dry land. But, being new, it could be something I am doing incorrectly, so I'll. Keep trying.

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to drift the OP thread, but these are related questions that others may also have.

The iPad situation can be confusing.
2017-3-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

I have an older Samsung tablet with WiFi and GPS.  It runs the DJI GO 4 software fine, but the streamed video is choppy.  Go for the iPad Mini 4.  Most of the new software features appear on iOS before android, also.  OR... wait for CrystalSky ...scratch that, there'll be new drones out by then :-(
2017-3-22
Use props
fans8a6b0acd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170430 ft
Portugal

If i use a ipad mini 4 without cellular and i connect with my phone by hotspot, my ipad will find my location and RTH will work?
2017-3-22
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

fans8a6b0acd Posted at 2017-3-22 16:26
If i use a ipad mini 4 without cellular and i connect with my phone by hotspot, my ipad will find my location and RTH will work?

You sort of have two different questions here...

1. No, using WiFi hotspot won't allow your iPad to get the GPS data from your phone, just data. So your iPad will still not be able to give an accurate GPS location.

2. RTH will work even if your ipad/phone has no GPS. The Mavic sets the Home Point using its own built-in GPS. It usually sets the Home Point when you takeoff, provided the Mavic has a good GPS lock. It's highly recommended that you let the Mavic sit for a while to get a very accurate GPS lock before attempting to take off.

The only time RTH will depend on your phone/iPad is if you try to manually set a new Home Point to your location. This needs GPS on your device. But if you don't need this feature or Follow Me mode, then you don't need GPS on your device.
2017-3-22
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

Griffith Posted at 2017-3-21 09:57

"That can be done from the map also (carefully)."

What do yo mean by that?
2017-3-22
Use props
fansd2216fb3
New

United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-15 19:55

How do you connect your cable, the provided one is too short?
2017-3-22
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Canada

fansd2216fb3 Posted at 2017-3-22 19:16
How do you connect your cable, the provided one is too short?

Buy one of these 8" cables;

https://www.allputer.com/index.p ... mp;products_id=2888

2017-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules