General question!
569 9 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NewFlyer
New

Pakistan

Hey Guys,

I'm a photographer; and I'm planning to buy a DJI Phanton for a new perspective in photography, and perhaps for some aerial videos too. I've never used any drone before.

I see the Phantom 1 and 2, and even 3 are more affordable now. My question is that I don't want the camera to be built in. I remember the initial phantom came with just a space to put the go pro.

Hence, which Phantoms have the options of letting me put my own go pro? And does the Phantom 3 just have a built in camera that is not removable? I would prefer the option to put a go-pro, as then I can remove it from the drone and use it for other things as well.

Thanks in advance!
2016-12-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

Why would you remove the built in camera that's better than a GoPro?
I'm not sure if the gopro zenmuse gimbal is compatible with a Phantom 3
But I just don't understand why would you replace the P3 camera with a gopro
2016-12-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Like the other poster, I cannot see why you would want to replace a superior camera with a GoPro? You say you are a photographer, then it does not make any sense, because if you had researched the cameras on the Phantoms, you would discover that from the Phantom 3 series onwards, they are capable of shooted bracketed shots, in RAW and have a lens with far less distorion. The GoPro is a toy.

But to answer your question, you cannot change the camera on any of the Phantoms of the 3 and 4 series. If you want the best camera, the P4P has the best of any drone and beats the GoPro in every way.

2016-12-15
Use props
NewFlyer
New

Pakistan

Thanks for the reply guys.

Okay, so now I understand the p3 and p4 camera's are pretty good, as compared to the gopro. The reason I would want a replaceable camera such as the goPro is so that I can use it for other things as well. The gopro can be used for a lot of things, action, etc.  PLus some of the new gopro's are pretty good actually.

So I think I'll prob go with the phantom 2. That way I can attach whatever camera I like. I'm sure the future will produce much better cameras, and so Ill always have the option of putting in my own camera.

2016-12-16
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

NewFlyer Posted at 2016-12-16 02:54

Okay, so now I understand the p3 and p4 camera's are pretty good, as compared to the gopro. The reason I would want a replaceable camera such as the goPro is so that I can use it for other things as well. The gopro can be used for a lot of things, action, etc.  PLus some of the new gopro's are pretty good actually.

So buy a GoPro for other things, but don't settle for an inferior aircraft to save a little money. The cost savings is just not justified in my opinion.
2016-12-16
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

RSW Posted at 2016-12-16 19:26
So buy a GoPro for other things, but don't settle for an inferior aircraft to save a little money. The cost savings is just not justified in my opinion.

if he is just flying close and has no need for long distance flying the P2 with the proper gimbal and GP is an great drone.

These are actually really fun to fly without all the extra weight etc.
I had 1 with a 5.8 wifi cam on it and used it for dangerous (to the quad) flight and for fun

Sure it aint a p3p or p4 but still has it place..
and the price is not bad..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/s ... ne&usedSearch=1

good luck and have fun flying

and then you will buy the p4 or such...
2016-12-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

NewFlyer Posted at 2016-12-16 21:54

'So I think I'll prob go with the phantom 2. That way I can attach whatever camera I like. '

No, you cannot attach whatever camera you like, and you are buying old technology. The Phantom 2 only supports the GoPro, no other camera integrates with the aircraft. The later aircraft can do many more useful things for a photographer as well.
2016-12-16
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-16 19:44
'So I think I'll prob go with the phantom 2. That way I can attach whatever camera I like. '

No, you cannot attach whatever camera you like, and you are buying old technology. The Phantom 2 only supports the GoPro, no other camera integrates with the aircraft. The later aircraft can do many more useful things for a photographer as well.

Mostly true, the gimbal is the limiting factor for sure and was aimed at the GP 3 or 4 if I remember

However I did have a non go pro wifi camera on mine and had a ball for a year until I sold it..
I would not go out and buy a go pro and p2 though at this time to start out with.
however if he HAS a gp 3 or 4 he can fly it for about 250 to 300 and decide how to go or not long term!

but agreed
he will not be able to just hang any camera under it and expect p3/p4 quality.
2016-12-16
Use props
NewFlyer
New

Pakistan

Okay guys thanks! But let's not forget the go pro here black 4 has raw format as well as has 4K video shooting just like the p3 professional does.
2016-12-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

NewFlyer Posted at 2016-12-18 15:35
Okay guys thanks! But let's not forget the go pro here black 4 has raw format as well as has 4K video shooting just like the p3 professional does.

''If you want to fly a P2, that's like buying a Model T ford for the highway.
Drones have been evolving very quickly and the P2 is a clunky antique compared to more modern machines.
You'll find that you can't control the camera functions of the Gopro in the air and have to land it to change anything - a hopeless situation for a photographer.
2016-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules