Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic in the ocean :(
2554 25 2016-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Not my video but one I came across the other day. Seems like he lost connection and it landed in the ocean.
Pilot error or not, that's gotta suck. Skip to 1:30 to skip the vlog.

2016-12-16
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

In the main I find vlogs totally boring ("Hey, I just bought some new socks!  Let's take a ride on my skateboard and see if we can find some action") so the skip information was very helpful.

Yep, whatever the cause that's gotta suck.
2016-12-16
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Theory on what happened:    The guy took off from the balcony of his heavy concrete hotel and thus did NOT secure a RTH point before zipping out over the skyline.   He ultimately wound up over the ocean and lost connection and the aircraft didn't have a RTH point to return to so it just went down into the drink.
2016-12-16
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Makes sense, but he bought a P3P and had successful flights from the same balcony the next day. Are phantoms or lightbridge more reliable?
2016-12-16
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

BuzzCut Posted at 2016-12-16 22:12
In the main I find vlogs totally boring ("Hey, I just bought some new socks!  Let's take a ride on my skateboard and see if we can find some action") so the skip information was very helpful.

Yep, whatever the cause that's gotta suck.

Me too, vlogs are mostly full of pretentious people anyways. This one is no different, thus the recommendation.
2016-12-16
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Not really surprising - I doubt the guy even read the manual.

Check out the positioning of the antennas for starters!

Enough said.
2016-12-16
Use props
Andrew Hohlfeld
lvl.1

United States

Make sure you antennas are in the right orientation... "would you look at that"  It's no wonder it lost connection.

2016-12-16
Use props
RoryM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291106 ft
United Kingdom

Yup antenna position is wrong, could have cause the disconnection.
2016-12-16
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

2 comments.  First, if you ask me, it looks very fake.  His reaction is fake, the fact he had his camera running, just waiting for him to turn around and sit down looks fake... everything about it looks fake.

Second, as was mentioned above, his home point was clearly over the ocean, you can see it on his phone for a brief second, so if it did lose a connection, it makes sense that it would land at the home point.  But once again, I really don't believe it.
2016-12-16
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2016-12-16 08:34
2 comments.  First, if you ask me, it looks very fake.  His reaction is fake, the fact he had his camera running, just waiting for him to turn around and sit down looks fake... everything about it looks fake.

Second, as was mentioned above, his home point was clearly over the ocean, you can see it on his phone for a brief second, so if it did lose a connection, it makes sense that it would land at the home point.  But once again, I really don't believe it.

I had the same reaction - FAKE!  Everyone wants to be a drama Queen.  And why do people waste their time on a holiday filming a VLog.  Nobody cares!
2016-12-16
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-16 07:51
I had the same reaction - FAKE!  Everyone wants to be a drama Queen.  And why do people waste their time on a holiday filming a VLog.  Nobody cares!

Because its not a vacation, its an advertisement.
2016-12-16
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss but i have to laugh, the expression of loss on your face is priceless, almost the same when you got dumped by a girl in high school LOL
2016-12-16
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also got the same impression, it really seemed like a forced, fake reaction. It's possible that he did crash it, but didn't film his reaction. So he may have setup the cameras.. then faked the reaction just to get it on camera. (Vloggers are so superficial sometimes).
As noted, check out the antennas.. and also the home point was in the ocean.. lol. Looks like it RTH right into the water.
2016-12-16
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

The sooner all these narcissist lifestyle vloggers lose their drones the better.
2016-12-16
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
United States

God,  so many Casey Neistat wannabe's.  Not even an effort to have their own style. Home pt was out in the water
2016-12-16
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

It looks fake, but it might be a re-enactment; he might have lost his drone in the ocean for real then tried to reenact the moment with poor acting.
2016-12-16
Use props
Mayoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Now days you have to fake it get a hit even in youtube lol ..
2016-12-16
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

If it was real, I'd bet dollars to donuts it was because of the antenna orientation. Not only is it pointing straight out towards the Mavic, they are also slightly pointed towards each other. I wonder how many of these crashes/mishaps happened because the manual wasn't read first.
2016-12-16
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Already replied on his channel the day it was posted. Stupid user error. Homepoint is set at the ocean. Dumb!
2016-12-16
Use props
fansebeed138
lvl.2
United States

Yea, I gotta say it looks and sounds fake as well, rear camera videoing his reaction as he turns around. + one on advertisement too.
He probably had a friend out in the ocean where he either took off from or landed, then friend tuned off the Mav, showing it lost connection, and then  let the drama begin..
2016-12-16
Use props
J-dub
lvl.1
United States

Didn't bother watching his commercial for his Vlog, but gave me an idea. Strap a gopro session onto your MP, record it diving into the ocean and underwater. The gopro will record the whole time, might be viral enough to pay for several MP's. (millions of hits equals $)
2016-12-16
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

J-dub Posted at 2016-12-16 20:52
Didn't bother watching his commercial for his Vlog, but gave me an idea. Strap a gopro session onto your MP, record it diving into the ocean and underwater. The gopro will record the whole time, might be viral enough to pay for several MP's. (millions of hits equals $)

Haha......you try it with your Mavic and let us know how it works out
2016-12-16
Use props
chanley380
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75659 ft
United States

if he genuinely lost it due to malfunction...then that sucks.
if he saw these numbers, (youtube views on a certain you-tuber who beats the crap out of free equipment and doesn't give a sh!t about laws and regulations), and thought, "some tragic vlog title about my lost mavic will get tons of views....", then...this person is not good for the hobby.

views on youtube video titled "....Mavic drone is gone"
2016-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-12-17 05:41
Already replied on his channel the day it was posted. Stupid user error. Homepoint is set at the ocean. Dumb!

The Mavic did what it was told to do.That's why reading the manual cover to cover and knowing all the features/functions and how they operate is extremey important.
2016-12-16
Use props
fans27710748
lvl.2
Flight distance : 410 ft
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-12-16 08:56
Not really surprising - I doubt the guy even read the manual.

Check out the positioning of the antennas for starters!

Just what I was gonna say, straight up and facing each other. Read the fu*king manual.
2016-12-17
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Two thoughts:

1.   Yes now that I look at it, it looks fake.

2.   When the Mavic disconnects from the controller, doesn't it initiate Return to Home?    I had mine disconnect from my controller unexpectedly (due to some obstructions between me and it) and if I remember correctly by the time I managed to reestablish connection it was already on it's way home.  
2016-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules