United States

How do I properly set up my RC control and  DJI app to fly indoors? Thank you
2016-12-16
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44797 ft
United States

I turned off front sensors, limited flying height and range to minimum number.no worry on RTH since no GPS, turn off new pilot mode since no GPS no fly. Turn on all lights indoor, flying under opti mode, my Mavic is very stable indoor
2016-12-16
Use props
Aj200219
New

United States

Thank you Richard Mavic
2016-12-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

Richard Mavic p Posted at 2016-12-16 17:12
I turned off front sensors, limited flying height and range to minimum number.no worry on RTH since no GPS, turn off new pilot mode since no GPS no fly. Turn on all lights indoor, flying under opti mode, my Mavic is very stable indoor

Is there a way to force the Mavic to fly with opti mode? sometimes even indoors, the mavic will be able to get some gps signal... how ever it is very weak and sometimes even flaky... i'm always worry that it'll do something stupid and try to fly off into a wall when i fly indoors...
2016-12-16
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

lildevilx Posted at 2016-12-17 06:48
Is there a way to force the Mavic to fly with opti mode? sometimes even indoors, the mavic will be able to get some gps signal... how ever it is very weak and sometimes even flaky... i'm always worry that it'll do something stupid and try to fly off into a wall when i fly indoors...

Yep, that's a good point and a highly requested feature. Unfortunately DJI did not implement this essential mode so you always need to be careful, if the Mavic randomly catches a GPS signal indoors.

You can request features in the DJI GO app under Settings -> Help or something like that.
2016-12-16
Use props
themaveric
New

United States

Hi,
I just got the Mavic and want to set it up the best way possible.
Any suggestions on custom settings that are used best for a beginner?
Thanks!
2017-1-15
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Be aware that you MAY get GPS indoors (depending on your proximity to windows/outer walls) and that it may cycle in and out of GPS/ATTI mode.  That said, definitely set your RTH altitude low enough not to fly into the ceiling if the RC loses contact.  It SHOULDN'T rise to the RTH, because you are so close, but better safe than sorry.  Always set your RTH altitude before each flight... that way you won't forget when you get outside and need 150 feet to clear obstacles... not 6 feet.  

I like to use tripod mode as it cuts down the sensitivity of the controls when indoors.  You will need plenty of light to be in OPTI mode and use Tripod mode.  Move slow and careful and be ready to "fly" the Mavic, as it will most certainly drift a certain amount indoors.
2017-1-15
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

Something else I would highly recommend for flying indoors is prop guards. When you fly inside often times the GPS will not connect which can cause the Mavic to drift around a bit even in tripod mode. I recently crashed my mavic flying indoors because the obstacle avoidance was on and the gps was off which caused me to lose control. I will admit I don't blame the mavic for this I was being careless it was my fault. If I had prop guards it wouldn't be broken right now... The biggest thing is to be safe when you take off once you initiate tripod mode you should be fine. Having obstacle avoidance off helps too because it gives you more control over the aircraft just be careful. Here is a link to the prop guards that I got unfortunately they arrived one day too late... https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-1-15
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

Doesn't the tripod mode set it up for best indoor flying, slows things down, off with GPS?
2017-1-16
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

It'll be fine as long as the floor is illuminated. Lay a flashlight on the floor to keep the down facing visuals happy. It should only switch from gps to opti. You shouldn't switch atti indoors. If you do, your not keeping the floor well lit.
2017-1-16
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Set RTH to hover in the case you pick up GPS and accidentally turn off your controller.
2017-1-16
Use props
jacksonkr
New

I was testing out my drone indoors when it caught a weak GPS signal which caused it to smack into some metal that damaged my propellers! The prop guards where no help because the metal was just above the prop guard.

DJU LET US TURN OFF GPS MODE!!
2018-6-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

I have heard rumors that covering the top if the MP nose with 2 layers of Heavy Duty aluminum foil will prevent unwanted GPS signal, never tried it but makes sense, you may end up in Atti mode instead of Opti.
2018-6-30
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-30 13:25
I have heard rumors that covering the top if the MP nose with 2 layers of Heavy Duty aluminum foil will prevent unwanted GPS signal, never tried it but makes sense, you may end up in Atti mode instead of Opti.

I tried foil on my Mavic air.  Six layers and I still got 12 sats.  Performed lots of indoor flights, prop guards are a must and RTH set to Hover in place.
2018-6-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-6-30 15:26
I tried foil on my Mavic air.  Six layers and I still got 12 sats.  Performed lots of indoor flights, prop guards are a must and RTH set to Hover in place.

Another great way to get GPS signal indoors is by using a GPS Repeater I have flown my MA around the house in tripod mode, rock solid, YOU MUST set the RTH to hover. Just hang the Receiver out the window (16' cable) and place the transmitter anywhere inside, plug it into a phone charger and ready to go.
2018-6-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turn RTH off.
2018-6-30
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-30 15:44
Another great way to get GPS signal indoors is by using a GPS Repeater I have flown my MA around the house in tripod mode, rock solid, YOU MUST set the RTH to hover. Just hang the Receiver out the window (16' cable) and place the transmitter anywhere inside, plug it into a phone charger and ready to go.

Here is a link to a Google Maps page to a store where I took 6 indoor panoramas with a MA.  No GPS.
Freson Bros.
2018-6-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

use propeller cage and set it to tripod mode turn and off sensor  
2018-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules