Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Mavic owner in Tokyo. First drone ever!
894 8 2016-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tokyo Pilot MP
lvl.1

Japan

So I am an American living in Tokyo and I have been in Japan for about 11 years now.

I got word that my Mavic arrived at the store I reserved it at back in October, and I picked it up Thursday, not having a chance to use it until today.

First flight, shortly after take off it started veering for my TV, and I manuevered it into my curtain and it landed on my futon. No body issues, and a small chip on one of the props.

Time to go outside...

Took it to a local park, and Tokyo is really strict on drones, so I went somewhere secluded and found a mostly open field, with no one around.

I got to get used to the controls and handling, and took a few pics of myself, and also tried out the active tracking. All works well.

I got a bit brave (stupid) and flew it a bit fast (P mode) and tried turning, and it hit a branch. Destroyed another prop, and got some scratches, but it flew again for its third flight.

I was more careful this time, and was able to control it much better and safer.

Now I can't wait to get out of Tokyo and fly this thing! Which, I already have plans for for the New Year! Expect video then!

2016-12-16
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

This has to be a joke. xd
2016-12-16
Use props
Tokyo Pilot MP
lvl.1

Japan

thehippoz Posted at 2016-12-17 14:39
This has to be a joke. xd

It'd be great if you further explained why you think so.
2016-12-16
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

post some video...I haven't been to Tokyo in about 10 years and want to see how much things have changed.
2016-12-16
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Tokyo Pilot MP Posted at 2016-12-17 05:59
It'd be great if you further explained why you think so.

I think the hippoz may have thought you were a troll because of your self proclaimed lack of experience and how you've managed to crash it as often as you have in such a short period of time.
Most experienced pilots forget what it was like to be a new user, and of course we're all different as some are braver than others. I would like to think that you are a genuine new drone user who is also a totally honest drone user, and you tell it how it is. Very refreshing to hear tales of honesty when there are so many (not all)  blaming the drone for their own mistakes.
Be sensible, fly within the regulations of the country you are in and keep posting here with updates of your exploits, but cut back on the crashing and change any damaged blades.
2016-12-17
Use props
Tokyo Pilot MP
lvl.1

Japan

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-17 16:48
post some video...I haven't been to Tokyo in about 10 years and want to see how much things have changed.

Once I get time over the New Year, I definitely will!

We aren't allowed to fly in Tokyo, so I am just limited to learning the controls and systems in an open field.
2016-12-17
Use props
Tokyo Pilot MP
lvl.1

Japan

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-17 17:30
I think the hippoz may have thought you were a troll because of your self proclaimed lack of experience and how you've managed to crash it as often as you have in such a short period of time.
Most experienced pilots forget what it was like to be a new user, and of course we're all different as some are braver than others. I would like to think that you are a genuine new drone user who is also a totally honest drone user, and you tell it how it is. Very refreshing to hear tales of honesty when there are so many (not all)  blaming the drone for their own mistakes.
Be sensible, fly within the regulations of the country you are in and keep posting here with updates of your exploits, but cut back on the crashing and change any damaged blades.

Yeah, I know the internet, and forums are pretty toxic like that, so I wanted him/her to have a chance to explain themselves.

I am limited to an empty park for now, to satiate my hunger to at least give it a try. I didn't want my New Year break to be my only time with it, and spend my time learning it.

Trying it indoors failed. And so did my first flight outdoors, due to being a beginner, but I have to start somewhere. You say brave, haha!

Because I follow the rules, I went to a nearby park for me, and I am so close to the boundaries of Tokyo, and made sure no one was around. But that tree did sneak up and attack my Mavic (named her Metal Gear!).

I still want to fly and practice more, but i probably have no time until the holidays! Will definitely post some pics of that!

Thanks for being sensible rick39!
2016-12-17
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

Tokyo Pilot MP Posted at 2016-12-17 20:27
Yeah, I know the internet, and forums are pretty toxic like that, so I wanted him/her to have a chance to explain themselves.

I am limited to an empty park for now, to satiate my hunger to at least give it a try. I didn't want my New Year break to be my only time with it, and spend my time learning it.

Flying indoors is possible, but you want the conditions to be right. Specifically, you'd want plenty of light, and a floor surface that's not too uniform. This allows the Visual Position System to function properly and keep the Mavic stable.

However, there is a risk of erratic behavior if the Mavic gains and loses GPS signals during the flight. Some people have suggested putting foil on the top to block GPS.

Overall, flying indoors can be tricky, and being fully aware of the risks is always important.
2016-12-17
Use props
Tokyo Pilot MP
lvl.1

Japan

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-17 22:43
Flying indoors is possible, but you want the conditions to be right. Specifically, you'd want plenty of light, and a floor surface that's not too uniform. This allows the Visual Position System to function properly and keep the Mavic stable.

However, there is a risk of erratic behavior if the Mavic gains and loses GPS signals during the flight. Some people have suggested putting foil on the top to block GPS.

This is where I failed...

I saw some videos of it just taking off to a hover in a room, many times. and thought I could do it too.
I guess my tiny Tokyo apartment was too much work for the Mavic...

Once outside, I got the result I wanted, where it just went up and hovered!

Argh I am so addicted to flying, but won't get to until the holidays, because of Tokyo city codes...
2016-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules