Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video loss around 100 metres range
906 6 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb3446616
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello guys

My P3S has started losing its video feed intermittently at really short ranges.  The picture freezes and goes grey, I can't control any camera settings and I'm warned Signal Lost, Return to Home?  But I can still control the bird without issue. I just can't see the video feed.
This has improved my "fly by watching the actual bird" skills, but obviously I can't shoot video or pictures.
If I jiggle the antenna on the RC around, I often get the signal back and then can have range up to 500 metres away.  

Is it likely I have a loose or broken wire in my antenna?  I move that a lot as I usually try and keep it perpendicular to the bird (as opposed to pointing it to it) to maximise the signal transmission...

Anyone taken their RC apart to check the wires?

Cheers
Ian

2016-12-17
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Ian,

Welcome back, long time bro!  You appear to have missed much of the fun with the Standard.  There have been firmware issues for quite a while that are causing the same issues you are reporting.  The latest DJI GO app, 3.X.0 (iOS or Android), and firmware update appear to have addressed the problem.  Look into the threads for some of the solutions, but mostly the updates and upgrades do the job, or so I hear.

BTW, we have had similar problems with the P3A, P3P and P4 as DJI has tried to upgrade their transmission systems, only we get full on green screens!  (Or partial screens.)  I have noticed that the same pixelation problem for the display is a regular occurrence on the Internet and regular TV.  So, there must be progress going on here.

I wish I could help you further with your standard, but I have my hands full with my P3P and P4.  They may have come out with the P3 4K since you were last on the Forum, so look for those posts similar to your problem since the P3S and P3 4K are very similar with their WiFi transmission systems.  Also, the newer DJI GO apps are very much more demanding of processor power in iOS and Android devices these days.  

The Android nVidia Shield K1 is the most popular Android device on the Forum because it is only $200 US. for that reason.  Very powerful machine and the camera alone is worth $350 (weird).  It is only an 8" display but it has HDMI out for goggles and an external monitor.  Other iOS devices have similar options for three times the money.

BTW, my name changed due to new rules, I am now Cetacean, not Cetaman anymore.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-17
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

United States

tell us what firmware do you have
2016-12-17
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

That antenna that you can move around is your 5.8GHz transmitter control. Your video doesn't use this, but two 2.4GHz receiver antennas just inside of the controller. All three antennas are plugged into RF modules. DJI uses hot glue or something to keep them from coming loose. I suppose they still could get loose or something.
2016-12-17
Use props
fansb3446616
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-17 09:11
Aloha Ian,

Welcome back, long time bro!  You appear to have missed much of the fun with the Standard.  There have been firmware issues for quite a while that are causing the same issues you are reporting.  The latest DJI GO app, 3.X.0 (iOS or Android), and firmware update appear to have addressed the problem.  Look into the threads for some of the solutions, but mostly the updates and upgrades do the job, or so I hear.

Aloha Cetacean and nice to hear from you.  Thanks to you and Ciro for the heads up. I'll admit I have not updated my firmware for around 10 months... and I first noticed the issue around 9 months ago, so should have put two and two together!
I'll have a go at updating and see how I get on.
Cheers again

Ian

2016-12-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Ian, long time no see

"If I jiggle the antenna on the RC around, I often get the signal back and then can have range up to 500 metres away. "

That sounds suspiciously like a broken wire, I don't imagine it would be too difficult to sort out if you're handy with the tools.
2016-12-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

Little bit confused .... so bear with me please ....
You lose VIDEO at 100m .... thats 2.4ghz internal antennae plates perpenducular to front face of controller.
You get 'signal lost - rth' - thats 5.8ghz centre external stick antenna.

You jiggle around antenna snd regain control --- that sounds like the centre stick antenna ?

You also apparently regain video when jiggling ?

Just trying to clear up into sections to think each through ....

Jiggling the centre antenna should not make any difference to video but maybe while jiggling you were moving the controller around making the plate antenna face model better.
The centre antenna would be affected by hand moving over it as well as altering its angle.

I have to add that i have had exact same with my P3S .....

Nigel
2016-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules