7779 57 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StefanoGinobili
lvl.2
Flight distance : 422818 ft
Italy

Hello to everyone.
Besides the gimbal twitch I noticed another strange behaviour of the mechanical shutter on long shutter times driving me to think there are serious problems in the shutter management software. The shutter activates (I ear the "clicks") in the middle of the exposure for no reason while I was expecting to ear the first open "click" at the beginning of the exposition and a second close "click" at the end. I created the following video and sent to DJI support more than one month ago, but still no response about.

Moreover, if you look at the slow motion in the video, it seems the gimbal twitches twice. Could be the second movement such a "recover" movement? Could it be the inertia from the movement of the two curtains? What are they doing in the "middle" of the exposure? Close and then open? :neutral: The taken pictures seems to have the correct (long) exposure.
In these other videos instead you can see the iris is working well, opening/close as the requested time (indicated in the file names).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fd1o1 ... eMxKdLjAQKseTa?lst=

Do your P4Ps have the same behaviour?
2017-3-9
Use props
zerubeusy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108547 ft

France

I have the exact same problem and the most annoying thing that when you take a photo the camera shakes and I loose the horizontal alignment so if you want to take a video after taking a couple of photos your video will be ruined up by the horizontal alignment screwed up ... do I have to return my P4P or I need to wait for a software update to fix this ?
2017-3-17
Use props
omegas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23757 ft
Russia

If you switch off mechanical shutter - situation the same?
2017-3-29
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would be really nice to have an answer from DJI themselves as I was considering P4P as an upgrade... Now Im concerned.
2017-3-29
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

DJI you guys have been very quiet lately..
2017-3-29
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Same Problem here. First discovered it on tuesday with doing a 22 Minute Timelapse, 600+ .jpgs. Footage is worthless, even Mocha Pro in AE cant stabilize this.
Was a great Sunset over a huge City, getting all the permissions took me some time.
Thats the mess with DJI, no Information, no communication. simple silence.
I trusted the DJI Equipment and end up with such a mess.
Is it so hard, to feed some news to the P4P customers? i.e. "Dont use Mechanical Shutter for Timelapse, use electronic shutter"
No, you have to "waste" your time on Forums to even find out what is wrong combined with a lot of rumours.
2017-3-30
Use props
EPT160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373947 ft
Australia

Felix_ Posted at 2016-12-18 15:48
For sure it is the same during the flight. Just the distance makes this movement even worst.
Like this i can not make any timelapse or hyperlape at al.

Hi Felix,

Have you tried with the mechanical shutter turned off?
2017-3-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Having just purchased a mirrorless camera recently, I have been reading up on this issue, and it is referred to as 'shutter shock', and happens even on sophisticated high-end mirrorless cameras. Camera manufacturers are on to the problem and are having to take special re-design efforts to try and lessen the effect.
2017-3-31
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

But does this happen with all P4P?
2017-3-31
Use props
MrDave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1159331 ft
United States

I got an RMA for this problem and actually sent my P4Pro in to see if DJI actually has a solution for this problem. Check back and I will fill you all in on what DJI says about it, what they do about it and how it operates when I get it back. I dropped it off at UPS today, will be 3 days until it arrives in California. Keep an eye out for my updates.
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-3-31 03:33
But does this happen with all P4P?

If it can happen with a $3,000.00 camera, then it can with a P4P I would imagine.
2017-4-3
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-3-9 15:24
My P4P doesn't have his issue, so I would say no. If mine behaved this way I would return it   Like I always tell people, buy from Amazon, so you get to test out the product for 30 days, and you can return it if there is a problem.

@Max
To be fair, it may  present itself after you get a few more flights under your belt.  I'm not sure if 500 feet is far enough to tell,  but who know,  maybe you were one of the lucky ones.
@Felix, I have the same issue, but only after this newest firmware update!  It was just fine beforehand! SO maybe there is a firmware fix.  Waiting also for a great update that will take care a few of these pressing issues. Crossing my fingers.
2017-4-3
Use props
MrDave
lvl.2
United States

Update. My Drone was received by DJI. It was with them 1 week before I got an acknowledgement that it had arrived. Which should have been 24 hours. Apparently they were moving to a new repair facility??? Anyhow it took them several more days in diagnose and estimate phase before I received the email that states:
" Dear Customer,
Your product sent back qualifies for repair under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to five business days."
This was sent at 9:06 am on Saturday April 15th. I didn't think they worked on the weekends? maybe working because of the back log created by changing building facilities, I just don't know.
At this point I expect my drone to be back in a couple of weeks.
So far all I can say is that I sent my drone in for the "Mechanical Shutter Gimbal Twitch", and it has been diagnosed and a warranty repair of something is under way.

More updates to follow, hope you guys are as patient as I am. (I'm nervous as hell actually because other than the twitch, I sent in a perfectly good P4Pro and am worried I'm going to get a refurbished unit back.)
2017-4-16
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Skyclip Posted at 2017-3-30 05:57
Same Problem here. First discovered it on tuesday with doing a 22 Minute Timelapse, 600+ .jpgs. Footage is worthless, even Mocha Pro in AE cant stabilize this.
Was a great Sunset over a huge City, getting all the permissions took me some time.
Thats the mess with DJI, no Information, no communication. simple silence.

You need to turn off the mechanical shutter, and turn off gimbal lock to get good time lapse photos.. Gimbal lock is good for doing night time photography to lock the gimbal in place following a turn, etc.. The mechanical shutter is good for using to capture "high speed" photography. In my experience listening to it, the shutter does not activate anymore at shutter speeds above 1600th of a second.. They claim that it functions at 1/2000th of a second but it does NOT..
2017-4-16
Use props
MrDave
lvl.2
United States

Update on RMA.
The warranty repair for the "Mechanical Shutter Gimbal twitch" has apparently been completed and the unit is ready to be shipped and should be shipped out in the next couple of days.
I do have to say these DJI guys in California really are slow. Maybe it has something to do with it being "Weed Week" - LOL
I'm not expecting the Phantom 4 Pro back until next week, at which time I will provide a complete run down to let you know if RMA'ing for the "Mechanical Shutter Gimbal Twitch" is how to get the problem fixed or not. And/or if I have the same brand new unit returned to me that only had under 4 hours run time on it or some remanufactured POS swapped out in the process of the repair sent to me.
2017-4-19
Use props
MrDave
lvl.2
United States

MrDave Posted at 2017-4-3 13:30
I got an RMA for this problem and actually sent my P4Pro in to see if DJI actually has a solution for this problem. Check back and I will fill you all in on what DJI says about it, what they do about it and how it operates when I get it back. I dropped it off at UPS today, will be 3 days until it arrives in California. Keep an eye out for my updates.

So it has been over a week since I received an email stating my Drone was repaired and it still hasn't been shipped back to me. One would think they would want to get finished products out the door quickly. The online repair tracker still shows that the repair is completed and it should be ready to ship in 1 to 2 days. So far we are on Business day 5 and total days 7 and counting. Apparently "Weed Week" really took it's toll on the technicians at DJI as they still can't see where to put an address label on a box that needs to be shipped.
2017-4-25
Use props
MrDave
lvl.2
United States

Well. The RMA nightmare is over and here is the information some of you have been waiting for.

Gimbal Twitch while using the mechanical shutter still exists, even after the Phantom 4 Pro was sent in for that specific problem.

They did replace my camera, however. The gimbal twitch seems less that before but it still has micro movement shifts and some pretty large movement shifts on the gimbal, randomly.

Even when taking pictures using interval, it still glitches. - Don't even waste your time getting an RMA if your only problem is Gimbal Twitch when taking photos with the mechanical shutter enabled.

So, the best solution is to NOT use mechanical shutter when you're taking multiple shots of the same image. Save Mechanical shutter for when you're flying 43 mph without your video camera running and you want to take nice still photos, this is where the mechanical shutter can help.

It took 6 weeks from the time I shipped my Drone until it was delivered back to my house. Last a lot of wasted time for not having fixed the problem.

Oh yeah, DJI wants me to fill out a survey form so I can tell them how wonderful their service was.

LOL - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
2017-5-3
Use props
Coffee
lvl.2

United States

MrDave Posted at 2017-5-3 15:00
Well. The RMA nightmare is over and here is the information some of you have been waiting for.

Gimbal Twitch while using the mechanical shutter still exists, even after the Phantom 4 Pro was sent in for that specific problem.

LOL thanks for the Update Dave. I will not be sending mine back. Maybe I'll sell it and wait until DJI gets their act together.
2017-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules