(semi) continuous autofocus and hunting
1569 9 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frits48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

[size=14.666666984558105px]The recent app update addressed the complaints concerning focus at start-up. Well done DJI but I dislike that in autofocus the only option is semi-continuous auto-focus, meaning that it will re-focus frequently without any user control. There are instances that this will result in ugly hunting, rendering the footage useless (yes, it may be subtle but it is there).
[size=14.666666984558105px]Manual focus is something I am not interested in.
[size=14.666666984558105px]I understand and appreciate that DJI reacted to the complaints of having to set the auto-focus point, but the fix is over-done. I just would like to have auto-focus-on-command, like in previous versions (which was fine for me). Should be easy to implement (manual, single-autofocus, continuous autofocus).

[size=14.666666984558105px]Frits

2016-12-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

MANUAL FOCUS is something YOU SHOULD BE interested in.  Put it in MF, tap screen, focuses like you're used to & never focuses again!   (for now)
2016-12-18
Use props
Frits48
lvl.4
Canada

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-18 12:33
MANUAL FOCUS is something YOU SHOULD BE interested in.  Put it in MF, tap screen, focuses like you're used to & never focuses again!   (for now)

Thanks for responding.
Sorry, I don't get it. When I put it in MF and I tap screen nothing happens wrt focus - it just positions the white MF square.
Something I am not getting?
2016-12-18
Use props
GroveTuckey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264134 ft
United States

i'm curious of this also.
2016-12-18
Use props
Droney McDronef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-19 02:24
Thanks for responding.
Sorry, I don't get it. When I put it in MF and I tap screen nothing happens wrt focus - it just positions the white MF square.
Something I am not getting?

I've been wondering about also. I've seen others suggest that tap to focus fucntions as it did previously when in the manual focus mode..

It only re-positions the focus reticle and does not refocus the lens for me..

I still can't imagine why anyone want's to have continuous auto focus like this..
2016-12-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thank you for your feedback, Frits.  
Did you record some videos of the re-focus issue when using the continuous autofocus?
2016-12-18
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-19 07:56
Did you record some videos of the re-focus issue when using the continuous autofocus?

Optimizing the new C-AF option is fine, but sorry,.. I think the primarily problem here is that semi or full continuous AF never will work optimally with contrast-based AF like on Mavic's camera. By the way contrast based AF works, there will always be a bit focus hunting. Even if it is so little that most or many people don't bother or see it, a serious filmmaker will always want complete control of when and how focus happens and wouldn't dream of using such a C-AF option for filming. So many people will ONLY want the camera to focus when they tell it to.

I'm still on Android, so haven't seen the new app yet, but it sounds like early claims that you could find the original tap-to-autofocus option under the Manual Focus option, is not true? As someone who has been a hobby photographer for years, I see it as the most natural thing in the world to focus before I shot or start filming. I understand that for some it is difficult, if they are used to previous fixed-focus cameras in Phantoms or other consumer drones. But please don't remove the "old" option.
2016-12-19
Use props
Frits48
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-19 01:56

Thank you for responding Mindy.
No video (that I kept) of this, sorry (-25 C. here today, no flying!).
Look through the misc. forums and this is being raised a lot. Continuous AF really is not good for many for various reasons (me included). This post sums it up very well (post #24)  Continuous AF issue.
I am new in the drone world but have many years of very advanced experience in digital photography. There also you will find instances where continuous AF is great BUT at other times manual (single) AF is a must.
Thanks,

Frits
2016-12-19
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this issue yesterday at dusk flying over the ocean. I didn't realize it until I got home to look at the footage, but half of it was unusable. I had no problems before this firmware.. so not happy about this.  
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mir Posted at 2016-12-20 01:39
I had this issue yesterday at dusk flying over the ocean. I didn't realize it until I got home to look at the footage, but half of it was unusable. I had no problems before this firmware.. so not happy about this.

Could you please upload the original video file to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to report it.
2016-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules