GPS Drone Tracker
12Next >
11387 44 2015-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Who uses a GPS tracker on their drone incase of a fly away?
2015-2-12
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I use  a Trackimo. $99, first year a service free. After that $4.95 a month. Installed weight 34g. Battery lasts about a week.
2015-2-12
Use props
shaftonhaney...
lvl.2

United States

Trackimo all the way
2015-2-12
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-2-13 06:29
I use  a Trackimo. $99, first year a service free. After that $4.95 a month. Installed weight 34g. B ...

Do you guys think the GPS from the tracker could cause inference with the drone?

also why the Trackimo and not the Tracker? It seem to be less expensive and does the same thing?
2015-2-12
Use props
gerd.kockerbeck
lvl.1

Germany

I have installed a TK102b GPS-Tracker with a seperate sim card. I call the tracker from my mobile phone and get back a sms with the gps coordinates. Then I can see directly the position in google maps on my mobile phone. This also works out of the reach of my transmitter.

Additionally I have installed a locater, that is blinking and sounding after the Phantom doesn't move for 5 minutes.

This helped me to get my Phantom back after a Flyaway, just called my GPS-Tracker and got back the GPS coordinates and used google maps on my mobile phone to go to the landing location.

2015-2-13
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

scom, in another thread we discussed the interference aspects and the general consensus was that interference shouldnt be likely and we have also seen no posts indicating otherwise.  most posts are quite positive from people after using either trackimo or flytrex.
2015-2-13
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I use the TK102b as well.  Haven't needed it yet, but from others reviews and the testing that I did before I installed it, I think it should work great unless I land in water.  I'm just taking a wild stab at this, but I don't think it will work submerged.  lol
2015-2-13
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

Don't forget folks, no cell coverage, no tracking. If you fly in areas where mobile coverage is patchy or worse you are still on your own.
2015-2-13
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

good point trail, luckily for me, i fly almost exclusively in high coverage cell areas simply because i live in a very developed part of the country.  but for those folks that dont, evaluating that aspect would certainly be a big part of the decision factors.
2015-2-13
Use props
shanestefanik.y
lvl.1

United States

Is there a solution that works without cellular signal?  If the GPS tracker relies on cellular it is useless for me.  We have no cell coverage for miles where I intend to use my phantom most.
2015-2-13
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

shane, marco polo is one option that does not rely on gps (it has other limitations but could certainly be an option for you given the description of your circumstances)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=B3BIKXAB5XHAIXTL
2015-2-13
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

TK102, works a charm (yes, providing cell coverage).

It is a GSM / GPRS / GPS tracker,so it doesn't necessarily need cell coverage in order to track it's position, but you can only contact it (get it's coordinates) if it does have cell coverage to send you the sms.
2015-2-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Trackimo will keep a history each minute - but again it needs the GSM to upload and update that.
I bought one - got a lemon unfortunately! Support was terrible. It's being returned today.

I would not rule it out for my experience - but word to the wise is to test it for a week or two before you trust it. Mine worked for about one day and then simply quit. It turned on and off and all the LED's worked, but the app could not find it or update anything. Support is pretty much non-existent....over a week and responses were like "did you make sure to turn it on?".

http://www.droneflyers.com/talk/ ... tracker-review.788/
2015-2-13
Use props
shanestefanik.y
lvl.1

United States

The marco polo looks like the exact solution I would need even with the 2 mile range.  I would just need to jump in the car and head in the general direction I thought the quad flew if it went real far.  I'm not planning on a fly away but it sure is a piece of mind when you have several thousand $$$  flying around that could end up taking a joy ride. Thank you gnixon!
2015-2-13
Use props
gary.ok.hotmail
lvl.3
United States

Marco Polo here and it works great.  Put this on my Quad about a month ago.  They have a RC version that is pretty simple to mount.  Haven't had to use it, but I have tested it, and the thing finds it to within a foot.  I use mine for scanning my hunting areas.  All remote with little to no cell coverage.  This thing is just the ticket.  No service fee either which is really nice.  You can track three transmitters if you have more than one quad, or since the RC version just Velcro's on it can be move from device to device.  One other nice feature is that it does not transmit until it gets a signal from the receiver.  So interference is a not issue.  Two thumbs up here.
2015-2-13
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

scom20.gmail Posted at 2015-2-13 12:41
Do you guys think the GPS from the tracker could cause inference with the drone?

also why the Tra ...

I actually have a TK102 and an A8 tracker (the A8 is junk)  still in the box. The reason I went with the Trackimo was it does not require a text for it work. It will text if you want, they give you 10 free texts a month, but it also can be accessed from a Smartphone app or a webpage.

As for as cost I don't have a family text plan or a text plan with my phone.  So for me I could not find a text/data stand alone sim that would give me unlimited use for less than $4.95 a month. That $4.95 a month includes an installed sim that works anywhere in the world that has GSM service. As I said Trackimo gives only 10 free texts a month, but the app and web access is unlimited.  

So the Trackimo cost $99 with a free year of service. That service is worth $59.40. That means the Trackimo really only costs $39.60. When I started looking for sim cards for other tracking devices with text and or data plans I quickly realized it was going to cost me more than $59 a year.

Because the Trackimo can be accessed via the web and apps I can use it to track something real-time up to once a minute on a map.  i can't do that with a text only device and if it did use data for a map also it would cost me an arm and a leg in texting cost to query the data. Most of the stand alone plans for these types of devices I found have a limit to the number of texts you can send/receive  per month. Usaully about 30, so if you send a text to tell the tracker you want the GPS location, it then sends the info back, that is 2 text messages per query. If you would the change the configuration that is another text. If it rsponses to confirm the change that is another text.

The Trackimo also keeps the history of all locations based on the tracking interval. So if I tell it to track at 1 min intervals the history will contain that tracking data forever. I can go and look at that data on a map with location, time date, and speed. You can set the tracking interval from 1 to 45 mins. If I turn the real time tracking off, there is no history for the time the tracking is switched of unless I queried it manually during that time. Having the tracking interval off really extends the battery life also. At 1 min intervals the batt will last about 3 days. with it off it is about a week.

The other thing is I use the Trackimo for things other than my drone. I put it on my motorcycle when I go out riding and stop somewhere in case it gets stolen. Sometimes I have a my kid take it with him. I can put it in my car so I can find it if I forget where I park.  When we go on vacation later this year the trackimo will go too.

2015-2-13
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

I am a Trackimo user.  This is the thread where I explain why.   

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... id=4652&lang=en

TSP181
2015-2-13
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

I'll help my neighbor install a Trackimo in his vintage Corvette next week and probably buy one for the V2+ afterwords   

The reason I chose Trackimo has been best summarized by Jato....
2015-2-13
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

I use the RF-V16 tracker. It uses the track anywhere app in the itunes app store or you can text the unit and it will respond back. You buy your own sim card and service so it is more expensive but you can choose between GSM cell providers. I had found it to be a little sketchy sometimes like not updating the GPS location correctly via text message and not responding to text commands to program. It works most of the time but that is not reassuring when it's supposed to be a failsafe.  

Does anyone know what cell provider Trackimo uses....I might get one to replace the RF-V16. Its $2 day unlimited text/talk 500MB data and you are only charged when you use it for my tmobile service.
2015-2-13
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

TSP181 Posted at 2015-2-14 01:53
I am a Trackimo user.  This is the thread where I explain why.   

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mo ...

TSP181 your initial post in that thread about the Trackimo is what lead to my purchase of one.  I am pleased with it. Thank you.
2015-2-13
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-13 20:25
scom, in another thread we discussed the interference aspects and the general consensus was that int ...

thanks  you
2015-2-13
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-2-14 01:01
I actually have a TK102 and an A8 tracker (the A8 is junk)  still in the box. The reason I went wit ...

Thank You for the response
2015-2-13
Use props
shanestefanik.y
lvl.1

United States

gary.ok.hotmail Posted at 2015-2-13 23:57
Marco Polo here and it works great.  Put this on my Quad about a month ago.  They have a RC version  ...

I just bought the RC version of the Marco Polo.  It's battery lasts 1 month opposed to 3 months but it only weighs 12G.  Thanks for the replies.
2015-2-13
Use props
tonycorsoimages
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

shanestefanik.y Posted at 2015-2-14 03:38
I just bought the RC version of the Marco Polo.  It's battery lasts 1 month opposed to 3 months bu ...

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these...is the RC version more? Where did you get yours?
2015-2-13
Use props
shanestefanik.y
lvl.1

United States

It was the same price for the RC version and I bought it direct from the manufacturer.  http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/
2015-2-13
Use props
flyingduck88.gm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 715551 ft
United States

I went big with the FlyTrex live 3g. Haven’t gotten it yet but I hope it performs as advertise!!
2015-2-13
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

hey duck, did you get the canbus adapter or are you going to solder yours?  i am very interested in your performance because it is on my list to purchase.  so if you dont mind replying to this when you get yours running i would very much appreciate it.
2015-2-13
Use props
perdidoflyer
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-14 05:26
hey duck, did you get the canbus adapter or are you going to solder yours?  i am very interested in  ...

Guy - I initially installed a Live 2G (was sent to me by mistake by my dealer), and did the solder install..it's not THAT difficult, but is a bit tenuous. Initially Flytrex was suggesting to lift up the WiFi module to access the main power distribution point, but later suggested (which is what I did) to tap onto the two power supply points on the ESC of your choice. The challenge is that those solder points are very close to together, so one must be VERY careful not to melt them together, or leave a strand of solder between them, as well as to be concerned about the heat you are applying to the ESC while soldering. For $40, I think CAN-Bus is the way to go. Also makes for easy removal, since it is all plug and play.
2015-2-13
Use props
flyingduck88.gm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 715551 ft
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-14 05:26
hey duck, did you get the canbus adapter or are you going to solder yours?  i am very interested in  ...

Yeah I did. I wasn’t crazy about having to remove the Wi-Fi module and soldering on the board. I should have it sometime next week. Ill update when I get it.
2015-2-13
Use props
craigr9
lvl.2

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-2-13 06:29
I use  a Trackimo. $99, first year a service free. After that $4.95 a month. Installed weight 34g. B ...

Where did you buy it for $99?
2015-3-6
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Amazon, but they have raised to price. It is up to $139!
2015-3-6
Use props
Tabby Tabz
lvl.1

Philippines

Trackimo is one the of best.
2017-2-26
Use props
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft
United States

You guys using the TK102B, what cell service are you using? I've tried a H2O sim and an ATT sim and neither work. I am in the Dallas metro area... A head scratcher for me.
2017-2-28
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

PaulL Posted at 2017-2-28 07:31
You guys using the TK102B, what cell service are you using? I've tried a H2O sim and an ATT sim and neither work. I am in the Dallas metro area... A head scratcher for me.

Is it a 2G or 3G tracker? Because in the US both H2O and ATT have dropped their 2G service.
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tabby Tabz Posted at 2017-2-26 23:35
Trackimo is one the of best.

I use a Trackimo and love it.
2017-2-28
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-28 11:28
I use a Trackimo and love it.

Have a Trackimo myself, the 3G model. Have only had one issue with it and that was just yesterday. Every time I go out flying I test it by pushing the power button once to check it's status. Normally you should get a blue light come on, but this time I got only a red light. Then double check on the app to see it's location, and no location. After sending a email to Trackimo and they replied the next day saying that ATT's 3G service was down the day before and to recheck it today. And sure enough it was working today.
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-2-28 21:17
Have a Trackimo myself, the 3G model. Have only had one issue with it and that was just yesterday. Every time I go out flying I test it by pushing the power button once to check it's status. Normally you should get a blue light come on, but this time I got only a red light. Then double check on the app to see it's location, and no location. After sending a email to Trackimo and they replied the next day saying that ATT's 3G service was down the day before and to recheck it today. And sure enough it was working today.

I've had that happen to. Also once in a while it seems like it won't work and I remove the battery and reinstall it and it's fine.
2017-3-2
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-2 07:45
I've had that happen to. Also once in a while it seems like it won't work and I remove the battery and reinstall it and it's fine.

I'll try that next time, I forgot the battery was removable.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-3-2 09:58
I'll try that next time, I forget the battery was removable.

At least that works for me every time.
2017-3-2
Use props
TrackIT
lvl.1

Philippines

just got my Trackimo GPS tracker (their 3g device) and i can the device is superb
2017-3-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules