Phantom 4 - Pro vs. Pro+ questions
8855 13 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100226 ft
Romania

I am new to drones. Pulled the trigger on a Phantom 4 hours before Phantom 4 Pro was announced, so I just cancelled the order and let the payment as advance payment for a Phantom 4 Pro drone.

Problem is now deciding Pro vs. Pro+, and looks like it is a big decision with many direct future consequences and if not done right, most probably it will cause lots of pain and money wasted.

And as information seem to be very scarce, here are some of my questions.

1. Does the new Pro+ controller have GPS?

2. Can I cache offline maps on the new Pro+ controller for use when no cellular or wifi is available for map data?

3. While I do really apreciate the screen luminosity of new controller, 5.5" compared with my 5.7" Nexus 6P phone seems rahter small. Isn't this screen too small for flying, for map, for menu, while out on the field? I am 44 yo and started to have eye problems because of age, I am in glasses hell. Need multifocals, one is for reading, one for distance, in short a hell. I will try to get some surgery in the future, and all screens I got in my devices are now larger and larger. 5.5" seems very small. If it would have been 7", I would have no problems, but very afraid I will hate a small screen and maybe I should go with separate device and with Pro controller.

4. If I go with Pro controller, how do I really choose a device that works, has GPS and has a nice screen? I am not anymore Apple user, switched to Surface line and Windows 10 and definitely more happier than I ever was with Tim Cooks new Apple. Phone is Android. So I'd love not going again for an Apple iPad. But being new to android, it's a hell choosing the right one. The compatibility lists I've seen refer rather to Phantom 4 and not many are listing the nits of their screens. How do I really choose an Android one with GPS, cellular and 3:2 screen size, that fits nicely on a Pro controller?

5. Pro+ offers more convenience, by not needing a separate device and a cable. But on the other hand, saw some reviews where this new controller was so laggy in flight training mode, that was basically unusable. Just saying it is better, w/o really good specifications about it's hardware is not right. How much memory, what processor? For that price difference, we go into 8" screen with all features and powerful processors, for a separate device. Not to mention you can use it to do some other things, when drone not in use, and that in one year, you can upgrade it.

I am pretty sure I have more, but for now these would do it... My drone will probably arrive this week.

2016-12-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Here are the answers for your question:
1.For P4P+ remote with the built-in screen, there is GPS module.
2.You can cache map when the internet is available before flight with the same method as an android device with DJI GO APP.
3. It's 5.5 inch screen, it's suitable for flying, while if you need a bigger screen, you can choose the standard remote and use your own mobile device.
4. As you have checked the DJI recommended devices list, to buy a properly android device, it's better to contact the support of the mobile device for more information.
5.Many customers have great experiences with P4P+, while if there are any problems you are faced with, please feel free to contact us, we'd love to help you.
2016-12-19
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Romania

Thank you so much your reply and for re-assuring me that 1. and 2. are still there on Pro+ remote. Basically these two alone almost made the balance incline more towards Pro+. I was really fearing about these features lacking.

As for 5. I would really love to see some real official specifications of the custom android device. At least processor type and speed, etc.

Official spec list say just this:
GL300E:Built-in display device (5.5 inch screen, 1920×1080, 1000 cd/m2, Android system, 4GB RAM+16GB ROM)

2016-12-19
Use props
vidwiz
lvl.1
United States

My eyes are weakening too, I opted for an ipad pro 9.7, it has the best tablet screen for outdoor usage and might be friendlier to 2nd party apps down the road.  I also have a note 4 phone which has a semi hidden sunlight mode if you leave it on auto that bumps it to 750 nits.  I haven't tried flying with it yet.
2016-12-19
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

I was trying to decide if the extra $300 was worth it or not. I spent $275 for an Ipad air 2 and glad I did it! Screen is much bigger and you can actually click on things on the screen. I tried with my Iphone 7 which is no slouch, but there is not comparison to the bigger screen of the Ipad.  
2016-12-19
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Romania

Thanks, I guess I will get it Pro, then decide what to buy as screen.
2016-12-19
Use props
fans1e42bccd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1879075 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PliciPleosc Posted at 2016-12-20 03:01
Thanks, I guess I will get it Pro, then decide what to buy as screen.

Well I've bought the pro +. I've been sitting here three hours after charging it all up, turned on the controller and got a screen that asked to connect to wifi, yet none of my wifi devices come up, home wifi phone or iPad Pro all have hotspot, but nothing on the screen I've tried everything I can think of please can someone help ?
2016-12-25
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Romania

Dunno what could have happened there, but I assume you would get much more exposure by opening separate topic on this subject.
As for the Pro+ vs. Pro, huge difference for me, the 5.7" screen of Nexus 6P - which by the way is slightly bigger than Pro+ one, is way too small for me compared with iPad Air 2. I can read it, no problems, but focusing on drone, and refocusing on small letters which you need to read very quick is making it for me not usable on 5.7" let alone 5.5". Today I've flown and compared both and I will never look back, I got the right version for me the Pro plus iPad Air 2. Maybe some other people can use while flying a small 5.5" screen but definitely I will not.

I am 43, perfect 20/20 vision all my life, never needed any glasses and during my life I was checked periodically for lots of reasons (including my driver license, pilot license, firearm license, not to mention because my daughter had vision problems since birth in the last 14 years I always did a check with her doctor). Never had any problem whatsoever. That was until two years ago, when suddenly I needed multifocal glasses and since then I am in glasses hell. Diopters are not that big, but enough to make reading a phone screen hard without glasses. Not to mention I needed just for reading, at distance it's way smaller, and I could almost get away w/o diopters for distance. All these being said, 5.5" is not for people like me. I've been using computer screens daily since I was 16, and this is what happen when you age. So if anyone is in doubt about which controller... Check your birth date and glasses prescription and then decide based on those. I can use a phone even smaller that 5.5", I can perfectly see a computer screen, but flying a drone require different things and simply not working as well, for older eyes.

2016-12-25
Use props
fans552e88a2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I went for standard Pro. You cant use 3rd party apps on the Pro + . If the screen breaks you cant plug in an external display to keep you going . Ive read many + screens crashing lately as well.
2017-2-24
Use props
Marie R
New
United States

Pro+ with built in screen is very limited because you can ONLY use the DJI Go app, no other helping app, no other device. I'm gonna try to exchange mine and go for a Pro
2017-4-7
Use props
SM-17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

I own both the pro and the pro plus controllers.

The plus is in the cupboard since i got the pro. I use it with a dedicated (rooted) note 4, no crashes, screen recording, google maps, 3rd party apps etc etc.

It's nice to fly without worrying that an app will crash or have to reboot the screen. I don't like open source locked os's
2017-4-7
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

First off, I had the same issue with the no wi-fi when I first fired up my P4P+. Plus trying to type on that keyboard was a bit of a pain. I literally took the controller in and placed it next to my wi-fi router. Seems like all of a sudden it woke up. I was able to connect and once I did I have never had that problem again and it's been about 2 months.

Second, I love the 5.5" screen and brightness, but real estate is limited. I use the built-in screen when I am doing mostly line-of-sight (which is different for me than most as I am 60 and also where bifocals and have had surgery but still difficulty seeing at times). But for doing things a little more adventurous, I picked up a 2nd controller without the screen and hang my iPad Mini 2 on it with a sunshade. Might even get a bigger one some day. But like I said, for those short and quicker shots I just throw it up there with the built-in.

I Also got a separate pair of glasses just for flying. My regular glasses were transition and out in the sun it doesn't do much good when they get so dark you can't see the screen.

2017-4-7
Use props
fans54d79738
New

Laos

fans552e88a2 Posted at 2017-2-24 14:13
I went for standard Pro. You cant use 3rd party apps on the Pro + . If the screen breaks you cant plug in an external display to keep you going . Ive read many + screens crashing lately as well.

Hi I just bought a Pro Plus with screen. Now i cant use 3rd party apps. Is it possible to buy a new Phantom 4 Pro controller (without screen)  to replace the one with the screen?  
2017-5-19
Use props
fans21f4528f
lvl.1

Thailand

Hello - is it possible to do a screen recording of the pro plus controller screen without using another camera?

2017-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules