Has Anyone Been Able To Make an A2/Ground Station Image work yet?
6476 15 2015-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hmarnold.email
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24012 ft
United States

I have the latest firmware in my A2/Lightbridge/IOSD MK II/900 Mhz Datalink/ and Zenmuse.

When I fly manually I have the SHUTTER signal on the Zenmuse hooked up to the signal from the transmitter, through the Lightbridge, and it works fine for images and video.

When I use the PC Ground Station I hook the SHUTTER signal on the Zenmuse up the F2 port on the A2, and photos get activated on what seems like just the waypoints.

The Photogammetry tool shows green triangles all down the long legs of the grid, but the camera only activates at the waypoints on each end.

DJI hasn't answered any support emails on the subject, or entries in the DJI Forum.

Other forums have people that got the Ground Station to work with other DJI controllers, but everyone trying to use an A2 seems to have given up and bought other equipment.

If anyone has been able to get pictures associated with every green triangle, or has been able to activate the camera using either using the time or distance settings on the waypoints, I would very much appreciate you showing me how you got it to work.

The fact that DJI won't answer any questions on the subject makes me think I've been wasting my time
2015-2-12
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hi, i think your port link is correct.
To apply a shutter action every several distance between waypoints. You can adjust settings in below boxes.
Set a default servo position and action position which could trigger the shutter.
The waypoint actions meaning can refer to manual.
GS.png
2015-2-15
Use props
hmarnold.email
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-2-15 18:00
Hi, i think your port link is correct.
To apply a shutter action every several distance between wayp ...

Thanks very much for responding

I have tried every various version of those settings I can think of
Default +1000, Trigger -1000
Default -1000, Trigger +1000
Defualt of each followed by a trigger of each followed by the default value again
I've tried various time intervals
I've tried with and without the "Action Setting"
I've tried with and without the F2 activation on the F-Channel screen.
I've tried every combination of setting I can think of for the Waypoint Action Properties.

All of them the same result : When I actually fly the mission, the shutter action green triangles show up on the PC screen, but the camera only takes pictures at the waypoints on the end of the long legs.

Since I'm using Adaptive Bank Turns, the camera actually activates as the drone is making the turn at the end of each leg

If you have actually tried it on an A2/Lightbridge/IOSD Mk II/900 MHz Datalink, Zenmuse system, please send screen shots of any other setting screens required to get the activation points to work.

Thanks again for responding.
2015-2-16
Use props
HMArnold
Second Officer
United States

Still hoping to hear a response from anyone at DJI as to whether anyone has actually been able to get images at the defined action points using an A2/Lightbridge/IOSD MK II/Datalink 900 and any Zenmuse gimbal.
2015-2-17
Use props
davidfuentes.op
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1155538 ft
Spain

hmarnold.email Posted at 2015-2-16 22:32
Thanks very much for responding

I have tried every various version of those settings I can think  ...

I had some problems with that, but finally it worked. I have an A2 (mounted in a S900) and the Z15 Zenmuse. First, the IR of the zenmuse came broken from the beginning so I installed a external IR switched to the F2 port. It's better for me because if I need it, in just one channel I have photo and video and fixing the switch in photo position it triggers a photography automatically each 2 seconds (with a nex 5n).
I did not active the F-channel screen, but it is important to unmap the F2 in the A2 software to enable the automatic trigger on the Ground Station software (i guess you are doing this correctly).
My Action Settings configuration is "Natural servo position; -500 / Action: 1000". I use 'stop and turn'.
When I generate the area selected in the photogrammetry tool, it automatically sets the correct "repeat distance" and it shoots in the final points of the lines and during the flying beetween them.
Hope this can help you. I attach an screen shoot.
foro1.PNG
2015-2-19
Use props
HMArnold.msn
Second Officer
United States

davidfuentes.op Posted at 2015-2-19 17:03
I had some problems with that, but finally it worked. I have an A2 (mounted in a S900) and the Z15  ...

David,

Thanks very much for getting back to me, even more for telling me it can be made to work.

Oddly, I have had the same issue with the IR transmitter not working on 2 brand new Z15 gimbals. On one the dealer swapped it out for something that works, so I now have shutter control through the Z15 for manual flight.

When I use the photogrammetry tool, I do get action points, just no pictures.

How do you unmap the F2 port? On my setup, the A2 Assistant shows a port map, and the Lightbridge shows a port map, but neither shows F2 for me to unmap?

Also, what IR switch did you add? Since I can take still images reliably in manual flight, I don't think the IR transmitter is the issue, but at this point I'll try anything.

When your system is all set up properly, does your camera take a picture when you hit "TRIGGER" or "REFERENCE" photo? Right now when I make a change I have to pack everything up and drive to a nearby open spot. If you tell me "TRIGGER" takes a picture, I can make my changes without having to deploy the whole rig to make a test.

Can you please email me?

HMArnold@msn.com
2015-2-19
Use props
HMArnold.msn
Second Officer
United States

davidfuentes.op Posted at 2015-2-19 17:03
I had some problems with that, but finally it worked. I have an A2 (mounted in a S900) and the Z15  ...

David,

Thank you very much.

I was able to figure out that the F2 signal on an A2 controller is by default assigned to the ROLL signal of a non-Zenmuse gimbal, and that by default it is activated.

Apparently when an A2 has a gimbal signal and a GP Servo signal, the gimbal signal overrides the GP Servo.

Once I saw this I realized that for the past few weeks what I thought was images at the waypoints was actually images when the UAV turned sharply at the end of each leg. On the turn, the A2 signal to the non-existent gimbal passed the shutter release threshold, and the camera would take a picture. I also recall one windy day it took several images along the legs, but now I realize that was just the A2 compensating for the roll caused by the wind.

When I press the OFF button on the A2 Assistant GIMBAL tab, then fly an actual mission, the GP Servo signals go through as they should and the camera takes pictures at every action point using a Zenmuse Z15 and a Sony A6000 camera.

In case anyone else finds this, the TRIGGER button on the GP Servo page should trigger the camera, even in the shop without flying.

Although this is a big step towards me being able to finally be able to use the S1000+ for orthographic images, the GPSExporter still doesn't find any action points and still exports a blank text file.

Do you or anyone else have a solution to that problem?

Thank you again for helping me
2015-2-20
Use props
apostoliskk
New

Greece

First of all, I have to thank HMArnold, in public, for his help.
It would be very difficult for me to achieve what I needed without his advice.
       I’m so disappointed by DJI . So much money, so much time ….
DJI products are good, but there is no support. I don’t understand why they don’t answer our emails at least…
       Anyway … I own a Vulcan frame (black widowX8) with A2/iosd MK II/2.4 Data Link .
I am using an Align 5D gimbal with an independent Futaba and Nikon D5300 camera . Gimbal is OFF in A2 assistance. I decided to try Align (although I was not entirely sure that it was going to work)  as it was   1/3
the price  of Zenmuse (in my country), and I have to say it’s an excellent 5D gimbal.
I use an IR shutter on F3 channel for manual trigger and it triggers normally by Futaba. I connected a second IR shutter in F2 port and I have unmapped F2 (named D2 ) in A2 assistant software. In GS in “F_Channel Controller” when I “click” F2 , camera triggers at about 580 (instead of 1000). Every time I connect UAV in GS the triggering number changes a bit (between 580 – 620 so far) so before I start I always make some tests to set it right. It triggers when I click “Reference photo” and “Trigger” buttons. I use separate IR shutters as sometimes there was a conflict when I used the same channel for manual and auto trigger and of course I wanted to have a second spare IR for anycase!!!!
Unfortunatelly Ground station has not a good photogrammetry tool (in comparison with Mission Planner for example). So I set the route and flight height by experience and all the photography parameters in camera. I  always put the route lines nearer than the program suggests.
2015-6-7
Use props
HMArnold.msn
Second Officer
United States

Apstoliskk,

Glad you're finally able to use your system.

I too am disappointed with DJU support, but pleased with the equipment.

I'm not at all sure if I had known how much effort it would be when I started if I would have invested in DJI products that I would have started down that road. Most of the problems that you have to overcome by trial and error would be clearly documented in products from other companies, and if they weren't, you would be able to contact someone at that company that would give you an informed answer of some type.

Not so with DJI.

I have been associated with 10 or so people in DJI support.

7 of them didn't understand the basics of my questions and were not going to make any effort at all to find out. One told me that since neither he nor I knew how to get the shutter to release on autonomous missions using a complete off-the-shelf top-of-the-line DJI system, it must be defective and that I should send the entire system to a DJI repair center.

2 of them made a good faith effort to help me, but in both instances the assistance was in sending me upgraded software that was not yet available publicly. In both instances, the software that they sent me fixed the problem I was having, for which I was very thankful.

Also in both instances, as soon as I posted that the beta software actually did fix my problem, both DJI employees involved stopped sending it to anyone else, and stopped responding to all forum posts and direct emails.

I can only think that they were told to stop sending out Beta software even if it helps customers with $15,000 systems that won't work without it.

This idea was only made clear to me by the 10th DJI support contact I had, which in very clear English (ie - a US employee)  told me I could not send the software to anyone else and that I should stop telling people on the forum that such a solution even exists at all.

I was shocked and disheartened.

But the bottom line is that if you have a S1000+, A2, Lightbridge, IOSD Mk II, Datalink 900mhz, Zenmuse Gimbal system you can do reliable, repeatable photogrammetry missions.

The only part about your post that I disagree with is the part about the PC Ground Station not being a useful tool.

It has some quirks that take a lot of flying time to overcome, but when you do, you can set things up so that all you have to do is outline the area for your grid, set the altitude and image overlap parameters, choose your ground speed so that the A2 doesn't get a shutter command faster that once a second (silly), look at your estimated flight time to make sure your battery will be able to make it, then let it go.

I will help anyone trying to get to that point in any way I can

A DJI system like mine is a technical wonder to behold, but there is very little useful documentation and you'll get very little assistance from DJI unless you stumble upon one of the very few well-meaning support employees.

HMArnold@msn.com
2015-6-8
Use props
GeoSpacial
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi everyone,

While viewing the Instrument Board on Ground Station, I've noticed Roll (aileron) is reversed.

When the Aircraft is tipped over to simulate a roll, to the left, it is displayed as a right Roll.

The rest of the Real-time Attitude's, Pitch, Yaw(Compass) are correct in orientation.

So far I've tried reversing Aileron channels on both TX and Assistant app in an attempt to trick the system, no joy.............  Any Ideas?
Rig:
Dji S900, A2, Lightbridge (using trainer setup) with Futaba T14SG, IOSD Mkll, 900MHz DataLink.

Note: All Hardware Firmware is updated, latest Software Versions and DataLink to PC handshake was successful with no errors.

Thanks for your time.

Dean

2015-10-14
Use props
GeoSpacial
lvl.1

South Africa

apostoliskk@yah Posted at 2015-6-7 19:59
It would be very difficult ...

Hi,

Would you mind sharing any information you have with regards to integrating the Align G3-5D to my setup:

Dji S900, A2, Lightbridge (using trainer setup) with Futaba T14SG, IOSD Mkll, 900MHz DataLink

Wiring Diagrams, Pictures and anything else would help, thanks.
2015-10-14
Use props
pbetancourt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2106670 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

GeoSpacial Posted at 2015-10-14 14:30
Hi,

Would you mind sharing any information you have with regards to integrating the Align G3-D5 t ...

I'd also like to know how to use a 3rd party gimbal to work properly for photogrammetry on my dji s900+a2+lightbridge+2 futabas
I'm considering buying the infinitymr from hdairstudio: http://hdairstudio.com/infinitymr/
or the align g3-gh mentioned here.
I'm not sure if I will lose the lightbridge hd transmission with these equipments, or if I will get 360º rotation limited by wires. But most important is to know if they can really take pictures automatically along the path of the ground station grid.
Did someone try to trigger the camera at a custom interval with the built in function of camera (timelapse mode)? It would be complicated for stitching software (let's say photoscan) to recognize these pictures?
2015-10-15
Use props
GeoSpacial
lvl.1

South Africa

pbetancourt Posted at 2015-10-15 14:23
I'd also like to know how to use a 3rd party gimbal to work properly for photogrammetry on my dji  ...

Using the Align G3-5D on the S900 I ended up removing the entire PAN Axis motor and mounted directly to the support frame, now there is no wire twisting during startup and its direct HDMI Cable to Lightbridge and Shutter Cable to A2.. suits for Photogrammetry where camera is always facing down.

PS: That PAN axis motor weighed in at 275g
2015-10-22
Use props
GeoSpacial
lvl.1

South Africa

apostoliskk@yah Posted at 2015-6-7 19:59

Hi,

How do you get the Align G3-5D Gimbal to point straight down ? I'm limited between 180 - 60 degree
2015-10-28
Use props
Cybrboss
New

United States

apostoliskk@yah Posted at 2015-6-8 01:59

Have to say I appreciate all your inputs as well. Only support it seems we have. I have tried multiple times to get this to work and no success. I am sure it is probably just one setting I am overlooking. I also patched a line from A2's F2 port to the Gimbals SHUT port to see if that would help. Tried in the A2 software to un checked REV (only thing checked-both un-mapped) for ROLL and D2. Nothing new. I can manually trigger camera from my Controller, so IR is working on the Zenmuse. Think I am stuck with a 3rd party approach- GeoSnap. Works great for telemetry and photos if you know parameters. Only thing I dont like is the Hot shoe gets in way of the gimbal.
If any of you can think of something I may be over looking, please let me know. Thank you again for all that post their trial and errors.

DJI S1000
DJI duel controllers
Zenmuse 5D HD
Canon 5DSR
900mhz
UgCS client Ground Station-been very happy with, just cant get camera trigger to work.
Looks like GeoSnap Express to Trigger camera now also ....
2016-7-23
Use props
yi4IBg4HEXee
lvl.1

United States

In DJI Wookong GS
I will to action a servo in a waypoint
Help please
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now