Traveling with a Mavic.....How do you Fly Commercial with a Drone??
5375 21 2016-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DGHockeytown
lvl.2

United States

Hi everyone,

Since the Mavic was clearly made to "Take with you every place you go"......What is the process from those that do it??

I see Casey take his Phantom and Mavic to and from LA all the time......

What's the battery situation??  Check them?

I'm really nervous about showing up at Airport Security and having a major hassle, so any and all detail you can provide would be much appreciated!!!

I'm flying from Detroit to LA in February.

Thanks!

Darin
2016-12-19
Use props
JulianX4
lvl.2

Germany

All in carry on. Batteries can't even go into checked baggage.
I just travelled from China to Germany with a Phantom 3 Advanced and a Mavic in carry on....
2016-12-19
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I just got back from a cruise in which I carried my Mavic.  All batteries and drone in carry on with no problems whatsoever.  No one even asked about it.  Can't send the batteries with checked luggage - carry on only.
Sarge
2016-12-19
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

Same here, just flew Toronto to Phoenix return with my Mavic in carry on (all components and charger with extra battery)....not even a blink.  My travel companions all got pulled over due to various fluids etc in bags.
2016-12-19
Use props
DGHockeytown
lvl.2

United States

Super!!  Did you bring it out and put it in a bin separate like a Laptop or just treat it like Camera equipment and leave it in the bag to get scanned?

Thanks,
Darin
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should be totally fine with Mavic batteries as carry on.
Here's some FAA airline info.

airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

122.61 KB, Down times: 44

2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DGHockeytown Posted at 2016-12-19 15:16
Super!!  Did you bring it out and put it in a bin separate like a Laptop or just treat it like Camera equipment and leave it in the bag to get scanned?

Thanks,

I would just leave it in your bag and let it go through the scanner.
2016-12-19
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

DGHockeytown Posted at 2016-12-20 06:16

Thanks,

Leave it in your bag and put it on the through.
2016-12-19
Use props
Travis89jm
lvl.2
United States

Just flew from KC to Denver with southwest. I had my p3p in the backpack with everything in it plus 4 batteries i took it as my carry-on. They ran in through the scanner as they normally would a backpack and never said a word about it. All was left in the case the whole time.
2016-12-31
Use props
Mavic 007
lvl.2
Spain

I flew from California to Spain with a stop in London. No problems at all. Batteries MUST be in your carry on, and the drone can also be with you or in checked bag. The airline explained to me that the reason batteries cannot be in the hold is because the low pressure can cause them to swell and potentially start fire. I also discharged mine to under 50%
2016-12-31
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

I just flew from China to the USA. Apparently, China has a limit of two batteries. Luckily, that's exactly how many I had.
2016-12-31
Use props
StanKC
lvl.1

Canada

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-31 08:36
I just flew from China to the USA. Apparently, China has a limit of two batteries. Luckily, that's exactly how many I had.

Really?  2 per device or 2 total?

Everything I fly, I have at least 8-13 batteries with me.

3 - Drone
1 - Phone
1 - Battery Bank
2 - DSLR
4 - GoPro
2 - Gimbal

That's before I even start counting tablet and laptops.
2016-12-31
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

sarge43 Posted at 2016-12-19 08:14
I just got back from a cruise in which I carried my Mavic.  All batteries and drone in carry on with no problems whatsoever.  No one even asked about it.  Can't send the batteries with checked luggage - carry on only.
Sarge

What cruise line? Everything I have read says they(drones) are not allowed on the ship.
2016-12-31
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

StanKC Posted at 2016-12-31 16:24
Really?  2 per device or 2 total?

Everything I fly, I have at least 8-13 batteries with me.

2 LiPo batteries.

They also don't allow phone charger batteries, the kind you can plug a USB into to recharge your phone. I'm not sure what the exact rule on that is because I didn't have one, but the security guy asked if I had one. This is the first time I've heard that, nobody asked about phone charger batteries when I flew to China four months ago.
2016-12-31
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

I just flew home and back for Christmas with my Sam's Club case shown below and everything from the Fly More Combo inside.  Also, on the lower level, I had a Syma drone for my family to play with.  Flying out of San Jose I had no issues.  I had a long layover in Seattle so I stepped outside for a little fresh air.  Going back through security there was no issue either.  On my trip back, in KC they did open the case to swab it for residue but there was no mention of the batteries.  Another long layover in Portland so I went out and came back in through security with no issues there either.

2016-12-31
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I used the Mavic bag with most items in it, but no batteries (except the one on the Mavic). I carried my other 4 batteries in a lens case and put all that in my normal backpack with my tablet, laptop, headphones, chargers, camera, battery pack, cables, etc. etc. etc.  TSA didn't even bat an eye.
2016-12-31
Use props
Cooldraw
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4255 ft
Singapore

I'm off to China tomorrow and kinda scared to bring my Mavic. Last time I left china they took a power bank from me and said it was too large. So really worries about bringing the Mavic:-(
2017-1-2
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hi, thanks for this post, I would appreciate to combine some of these info here with my thread here: Legal flying with Mavic Pro I will try to putt all aspects what I will find anywhere together to one place.

Suggestion for the structure:
1) getting legal permission in US
    (so far I have just few links for US federal office with their requirements)
2) getting legal permission in EU
    (here I will soon describe the full process of getting the license - incl. some specific details needed for the registration) now in progress...
3) travelling with a drone
    (I would appreciate or I will try to gather some) structured info - later - when we find some sollution here :-)

- not to be off topic at all, :-) I have read that you can take the batteries onboard, but they must be fully discharged
- I am curious how can anybody measure the percentage of battery charged capacity before I enter the check-in - any experience here?.

Cheers
2017-1-2
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Gmman Posted at 2016-12-31 16:50
What cruise line? Everything I have read says they(drones) are not allowed on the ship.

i was on Carnival Cruise Lines.  Drones are specifically listed in their exemptions as being okay to bring on board and stored in your state room as long as they are only used in port/off ship.  Every cruise line will have their own rules I'm sure, but a little research should clear it all up.
Sarge
2017-1-3
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

sarge43 Posted at 2017-1-3 11:17
i was on Carnival Cruise Lines.  Drones are specifically listed in their exemptions as being okay to bring on board and stored in your state room as long as they are only used in port/off ship.  Every cruise line will have their own rules I'm sure, but a little research should clear it all up.
Sarge

Cool! Thanks Sarge
2017-1-3
Use props
Newenglander
New
United States

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-31 18:26
2 LiPo batteries.

They also don't allow phone charger batteries, the kind you can plug a USB into to recharge your phone. I'm not sure what the exact rule on that is because I didn't have one, but the security guy asked if I had one. This is the first time I've heard that, nobody asked about phone charger batteries when I flew to China four months ago.

That's not accurate.

At least out of Pudong/Shanghai I regularly fly with at least 3 Mavic batteries and as many as two 10000-20000mah power banks. Never a problem. I sail right through. Mavic stays in the Fly More bag with all 3 batts and I put the banks in a bin.
2017-4-6
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

Newenglander Posted at 2017-4-6 20:22
That's not accurate.

At least out of Pudong/Shanghai I regularly fly with at least 3 Mavic batteries and as many as two 10000-20000mah power banks. Never a problem. I sail right through. Mavic stays in the Fly More bag with all 3 batts and I put the banks in a bin.

Yep, I flew out of Shanghai and Beijing and I had a power bank for charging and so did my fiancée. As long as they're under a certain size they're allowed.
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules