The Inspire kept moving back and forth within 1 meter radius
2224 20 2015-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anhtuan.nguyen.
lvl.1

South Korea

Hi guys,

I have some concern with my Inspire 1. Immdiately after taking off, I notcie that the craft is not staying in one place, in fact i kept moving back and forth within 1 meter radius even when I let go of the stick. the movement was even visible through the video feed. I did calibrate IMU and compas before the flight. Beside that everything else worked great for me and I'm loving the bird. Question, anybody experiencing the same thing? Should I ground the bird, or should I only fly in ATTI?
2015-2-12
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

how high were you?
2015-2-12
Use props
anhtuan.nguyen.
lvl.1

South Korea

It was 8 meters off the ground according to my flight record.
2015-2-12
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Did you check the mod values ?  I would do an imu calibration and take it up for another hover after getting full sat bars.
2015-2-12
Use props
anhtuan.nguyen.
lvl.1

South Korea

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-2-13 10:04
Did you check the mod values ?  I would do an imu calibration and take it up for another hover after ...

Yeah I checked it before the flight and everything was within normal range. I did the calibrations right before the flight. My take on this is that the craft did not connect to enough satellites.. The app indicated safe to fly and the satellite bar is full though, so I'm not sure
2015-2-12
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed some toilet bowl effect if I take off a little too fast. I don't see this if I let the craft sit a warm up for abut a minute.  
2015-2-12
Use props
anhtuan.nguyen.
lvl.1

South Korea

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-2-13 10:10
I have noticed some toilet bowl effect if I take off a little too fast. I don't see this if I let th ...

okay I will try to do just that. Thanks for you advice
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-2-13 10:10
I have noticed some toilet bowl effect if I take off a little too fast. I don't see this if I let th ...

Blade funny you say that I was thinking this today as a v2+ flyer that was always the drill let the craft sit for a min confirm data then take off..
Glad you mentioned this!!

Never touch it once turned on before launch.
Never launch in haste after just starting up ...
These where basics for the Phantom set up...

I wonder how many calibrate clockwise instead of counter clock wise??

Level ground was also a big factor if I'm not mistaken but with this new bird these little disciplines couldn't hurt..
Funny I was thinking this same thing today to let the thing sit for a min or two before each flight and adding that to my pre flight list .
If necessary set a timer then take flight after confirming sat lock.

Anyone who believes such a advanced product is RTF out the box may be in for many hours of schooling if they don't crash it on the first flight.
Reality check and a good one as the more education on this bird or its ancestors the better.
2015-2-12
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Check to make sure your running the latest firmware.  One of the fixes from the last version is that it adjusts drifting.  Im sure you have it updated but it couldn't hurt to check.
2015-2-12
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-2-13 10:04
Did you check the mod values ?  I would do an imu calibration and take it up for another hover after ...

How often should IMU calibration be performed? Can it be done in a location other than where you intend to take off? Reason I ask is because most surfaces are not perfectly flat out in the field.

If I calibrated the IMU in my apartment wooden floor would that fix any drifting/loss of GPS issues?

Thanks!
2015-2-12
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had the same thoughts scooter. At present I do an IMU calibration at home on a level surface checked with a spirit level and also an iphone level app. I then do a compass calibration at the flying site. It would be good to get some input from dji re IMU calibration location.
2015-2-12
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I would not imu calibrate every flight, Not necessary . Once you have a good imu cal you shouldn't have to do one again unless the craft took a hard hit or landing.
2015-2-13
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 10:58
Blade funny you say that I was thinking this today as a v2+ flyer that was always the drill let th ...

Absolutly correctomundo !
2015-2-13
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 10:58
Blade funny you say that I was thinking this today as a v2+ flyer that was always the drill let th ...

Colonel Angus question or for anyone else that knows lol. I never thought about going clockwise or counter clockwise when doing a calibrate. I for what ever reason go counter clockwise. Is there suppose to be a right way?

Mike
2015-2-13
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Since day one all the videos I see from DJi etc most calibrate counter clock wise don't know if it makes a diff or not. I do it anyways never had an issues.
2015-2-13
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

The toilet bowl effect gets to be a issue.  I notice when some do the calibrate, they stand still and rotate the copter around them.  I keep the circle small by walking around the machine instead.  Same way on the vertical.  For a test the other day, I went CCW on the hort plane and then CW in the vertical to see what it would do.  It flew and held position just fine.  I know the manual states CCW, so that's what I do but try to move the machine the least and just pivot around that point.  Maybe that's to picky but seems to work.
2015-2-13
Use props
miketeel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184567 ft
  • >>>

The arrows in app indicate a counter clockwise direction.
2015-2-13
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

miketeel Posted at 2015-2-14 02:29
The arrows in app indicate a counter clockwise direction.

I don't think that the direction of rotation matters in the least.
Even though the diagram in the manual shows CCW, the text simply says "rotate".
FWIW, the diagrams in the NazaM and A2 manuals show CW rotation and the text says "rotate".

I'm OCD, and can appreciate your attention to detail.
But coming from NazaM and A2 experience, I'll probably rotate CW out of habit...
2015-2-13
Use props
miketeel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184567 ft
  • >>>

You are probably right.
2015-2-13
Use props
Funflyer48
New

United States

Vonbaron makes a good point. Intructions for calibrating show CCW direction for calibration. Also shows rotating around center axis in both horizontal and vertical. I would think the least acurate position after calibration, if held away from you and rotated around you for calibration, would be that exact spot of calibration? It is no longer a pinpoint but instead a 3 to 4 foot circle.

With my Inspire I noticed that same "toilet bowl" effect. I calibrated walking around the Inspire instead of it around me and it seemed to hold position better.

Just an observation.
2015-2-14
Use props
bicubic
lvl.1
Australia

Toilet bowling is usually (always in my experience) because of poor GPS hdop. Like blade_strike, I noticed that if I don't let the Inspire sit for a minute after getting a GPS lock and take off, it will toilet bowl and may switch to P-ATTI momentarily.
2015-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules