Set flight preferences without turning on drone.
12Next >
16658 51 2016-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Is it possible to have the software engineers change the DJI GO 4 App so that we all can set our flight preferences without turning on the drone???
It is a huge inconvenience to have to turn on the drone and just let it sit there so you can plan your next flight.

I know that everyone that owns a DJI drone would agree with me 100% that they would wish they could preset their next flight ahead of time. If anyone disagrees say your reasons why.

When your outside with the drone running you want to fly as soon as possible your not as relaxed as if you set it all up before your drone is started.
Some big reasons are:
Your using valuable battery power and flight time tinkering with the settings and checking them twice.
On hot days your motor is heating up just sitting on the ground.

Anyone else have anything to add to this?

DJI, why is set up the way it is?
2016-12-19
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Considering the settings are saved in the drone and not the app I don't think you're going to get what you hope.
2016-12-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I understand you and the basic idea is okay. but the Go App is software controlling the hardware. The settings are stored in each drone and not on the device App. It also controls many different aircraft and they have different features.

I do not think this change can be made to your liking

All the best
Rich
2016-12-19
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Well I don't know, I think this should be possible? Make the settings in the app for which ever drone and then sync it to the drone and rc when connected.
Similar to setting up a Harmony remote as an example... do the configuration within the software, then sync it to the remote and hub.
2016-12-19
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

damaltor Posted at 2016-12-19 21:35
Well I don't know, I think this should be possible? Make the settings in the app for which ever drone and then sync it to the drone and rc when connected.
Similar to setting up a Harmony remote as an example... do the configuration within the software, then sync it to the remote and hub.

I agree with damaltor. Software is software and where it is stored should make no difference. They talk to each other and relay messages back and forth. When you turn on the drone it sends and picks up signals from the remote. The cell phone you use is also capable of sending and receiving information to the drone through the remote.
I wish someone from DJI would tell us why it is the way it is.
2016-12-19
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

China

This would be very useful.

I understand why I can't use the flight simulator without the drone running. It's actually using the hardware on the drone to run the program.

Settings are different. A tiny data file can be saved on one machine just as easily as the other. If one phone is used to control several different Mavics, then the DJI Go app could include an identifier in the settings file that is saved on the phone. Several drones would just mean several tiny data files. We're just talking about a few numbers, there's no way that the data for 10 drones would be as much data as the picture from one flight log.
2016-12-20
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

I want this feature as well. Since i just gor my drone, i would love to be able to look through all the parameters in the app.
They could add a promt if you want to use the updated settings when powering everything up.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We do appreciate your suggestion and will pass the suggestion to the appropriate team for review. Thanks.
2016-12-20
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

I agree this would be a really valuable and useful thing to be able to do.  Call me cynical, but it even has the potential to reduce some of the 'User error' crashes.  If you can set up your settings at your own pace without worrying about draining precious battery time, I feel people may take more time over ensuring they are set up for their flight correctly.   As a simple example off the top of my head,  RTH height.   Ive read about drones crashing into trees because it wasn't set high enough... and ive also read about a drone hitting a ceiling because the RTH height was set too high.  Perhaps..... careful setup was not taken because they were rushing to not lose battery time.

I agree with StianGel too.... just being able to browse setting without being connected to the drone would be great.     This should all be possible, as mentioned, a simple sync when you power up the drone and perhaps a prompt asking if you want to use the updated settings on your phone
2016-12-20
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-20 02:14
This would be very useful.

I understand why I can't use the flight simulator without the drone running. It's actually using the hardware on the drone to run the program.

Exactly, should be totally doable.
2016-12-20
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Free Bird
"Is it possible to have the software engineers change the DJI GO 4 App so that we all can set our flight preferences without turning on the drone???
It is a huge inconvenience to have to turn on the drone and just let it sit there so you can plan your next flight.
I know that everyone that owns a DJI drone would agree with me 100% that they would wish they could preset their next flight ahead of time. If anyone disagrees say your reasons why."

Its hardly a huge inconvenience, you don't need to unfold the Mavic, just remove the gimbal clamp and turn it on, takes all of 30 seconds.
What pre-sets are you changing in order to "plan" your next flight ? Surely until you get to where you are going you don't know what settings you need, RTH height depends on the flying area etc.  
I think things are much safer with the settings stored on the Mavic.
2016-12-20
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Harbourside Posted at 2016-12-20 08:00
Free Bird
"Is it possible to have the software engineers change the DJI GO 4 App so that we all can set our flight preferences without turning on the drone???

Harbourside we will have to agree to disagree. I think the way it is set up is more dangerous than preplanning.
Of course RTH will be set where you take off. The height should be known ahead of time if you are preplanning . But don't forget that just being able to get familiar with the remote settings without turning your drone on is a great safety feature. I really can't see why anyone would be against this.
2016-12-20
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that the settings for the drone be keep solely on the device, rather I feel they should be kept on the drone.
However, you should be able to make setting changes on the device, without being connected to the drone or rc and save them to be synced to the drone and rc the next time you are connected.
I do think it important to always have the actual flight settings run from the drone itself. Hope that is clear and makes sense?
2016-12-20
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
Norway

What about the people that use multiple devises, both android and apple.    Besides, battery drain is not that high since the motors are not running.
2016-12-20
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-20 15:38
I agree with damaltor. Software is software and where it is stored should make no difference. They talk to each other and relay messages back and forth. When you turn on the drone it sends and picks up signals from the remote. The cell phone you use is also capable of sending and receiving information to the drone through the remote.
I wish someone from DJI would tell us why it is the way it is.

Have you ever tried to o/c your PC through the bios without powering on the PC?
Cant be done.
Software is software, great start, but the settings inside the software that is changed as per OP request, cannot be done without powering up the systems to run any software.
2016-12-20
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-21 00:16
Cant be done.
Software is software, great start, but the settings inside the software that is changed as per OP request, cannot be done without powering up the systems to run any software.

Yes and when the drone is turned on and connected to the app, that is when the changes made are uploaded to the drone. Really no different than making the changes on the fly. It's actually a really simple concept and shouldn't be that difficult to achieve.
2016-12-21
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

I agree with this and I would even like to see it taken one step further to where you could have multiple settings "profiles" that you could set up in advance and then load in the field with a simple selection as opposed to having to go through every menu to change things.  Perhaps you have a place that you fly often and want to save the RTH settings, camera settings, focus settings and other stuff as your preferred settings.  That way, when you are out somewhere else and you change a bunch of stuff, you can easily go back to your base settings with one click.

Think of it like on a DSLR, most cameras have User Modes that can be programmed and saved.  I have two that I commonly use.  One is for long exposure/astrophotography and the other is for high speed stuff like birds in flight.  Sure, I could go through and change all the settings manually but inevitably, there's always one that I miss or I don't want to waste a bunch of time when I can jump right to the settings I want.  
2016-12-21
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-21 06:47
I agree with this and I would even like to see it taken one step further to where you could have multiple settings "profiles" that you could set up in advance and then load in the field with a simple selection as opposed to having to go through every menu to change things.  Perhaps you have a place that you fly often and want to save the RTH settings, camera settings, focus settings and other stuff as your preferred settings.  That way, when you are out somewhere else and you change a bunch of stuff, you can easily go back to your base settings with one click.

Think of it like on a DSLR, most cameras have User Modes that can be programmed and saved.  I have two that I commonly use.  One is for long exposure/astrophotography and the other is for high speed stuff like birds in flight.  Sure, I could go through and change all the settings manually but inevitably, there's always one that I miss or I don't want to waste a bunch of time when I can jump right to the settings I want.

Yes there are a lot of benefits from having access to the software without the drone running and to saving information to use at a later date.

There are some good ideas coming from the positive thinkers in this forum!

2016-12-23
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

damaltor Posted at 2016-12-21 21:36
Yes and when the drone is turned on and connected to the app, that is when the changes made are uploaded to the drone. Really no different than making the changes on the fly. It's actually a really simple concept and shouldn't be that difficult to achieve.

Me " Have you ever tried to o/c your PC through the bios without powering on the PC? "
YOU " Yes and when the drone is turned on and connected to the app, that is when the changes made are uploaded to the drone. Really no different than making the changes on the fly. It's actually a really simple concept and shouldn't be that difficult to achieve. "

BOLLOCKS!!!!

You missed the whole point. You CANNOT OC a PC via the BIOS WITHOUT the PC running!!!!
You need the CPU, RAM and motherboard powered and running to drive the data, just as you need the Mavics onboard CPUs/ECUs to be able to store the data in the mavic memory/bios.
You cannot store or retrieve data on such a platform without power.
Your so called simple concept has eluded quantum mechanics for decades, how do you expect DJI to overcome this law so you can update your stored mavic settings without using power?
2016-12-23
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-23 17:16
Me " Have you ever tried to o/c your PC through the bios without powering on the PC? "
YOU " Yes and when the drone is turned on and connected to the app, that is when the changes made are uploaded to the drone. Really no different than making the changes on the fly. It's actually a really simple concept and shouldn't be that difficult to achieve. "

I think your quantum mechanics should learn more about software engineering.
2016-12-23
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-23 18:16

Sorry, I am not going to be provoked into a pointless argument about this.

My "yes" was in response to this statement of yours... "Software is software, great start, but the settings inside the software that is changed as per OP request, cannot be done without powering up the systems to run any software."

We are not discussing the BIOS on a PC and it is very possible to achieve what is being discussed on the Mavic and other similar drones. As per the examples that have been given, it would not be at all hard to implement.
2016-12-23
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-23 19:16

Allow me to clarify the suggestion being made.

People change the settings in the DJI Go app when the drone is turned off. They can move sliders all they want. The app records these changes.

When the drone is turned on, DJI Go sends the new settings to the drone.

This is something that computers do all the time. If you write your mom an email, her computer doesn't have to be turned on when you send the email. Another computer will just save the file until it her computer is switched on, then it sends it to her.
2016-12-23
Use props
damaltor
lvl.2

Canada

Settings viewed, made and changed within the app while it is under power, saved to a config file and then uploaded to the drone when it is powered on.
Should work, shouldn't it?  =)
2016-12-23
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-24 11:07
Allow me to clarify the suggestion being made.

People change the settings in the DJI Go app when the drone is turned off. They can move sliders all they want. The app records these changes.

" When the drone is turned on, DJI Go sends the new settings to the drone. "

Correct. Nothing wrong with this unless you try to imply the changes should be applied to the mavic and should be able to be done without turning on the Mavic.
I thought some here were arguing to save the changes to the mavic itself without powering mavic.

2016-12-24
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-24 00:02
" When the drone is turned on, DJI Go sends the new settings to the drone. "

Correct. Nothing wrong with this unless you try to imply the changes should be applied to the mavic and should be able to be done without turning on the Mavic.

Ok, now were all on the same page!

2016-12-24
Use props
Chazzm
lvl.2

United States

That's would be fantastic!!! And if I may interject one extra item,,,,, PLEASE open BOTH  of the middle USB AND The upper micro connection as well to give us the ability to FPV as well!!!!!
2016-12-29
Use props
g2only
New
United States

This looks like an old thread, but has/will anything been done in this direction? Having to have the drone on is MY BIGGEST complaint about the system...there is NO reason that settings can't be set/saved to the GO app, then transferred to the drone. Does DJI actually respond to these?
2018-2-6
Use props
mablaud spark
lvl.1

Okay then here's my question can we do pre-flight programming in the app with the drone on while it's plugged into the wall?
2018-5-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

mablaud spark Posted at 2018-5-30 21:12
Okay then here's my question can we do pre-flight programming in the app with the drone on while it's plugged into the wall?

If you are talking about waypoints using DJI GO 4 no you cannot.  HOWEVER if you use Litchi you can totally do this.  You can pre-create them on your PC, then once you turn on your RC/AC you put in waypoint mode and upload the waypoint mission you desire.  In fact I just did this today and it works great.  DJI GO 4 app requires you to pre-run a mission before saving and being able to run it.  Litchi does not require this but requires you to ensure everything is correct especially altitude because you can crash if your height is not correct since you did not pre-run the mission
2018-5-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

g2only Posted at 2018-2-6 09:08
This looks like an old thread, but has/will anything been done in this direction? Having to have the drone on is MY BIGGEST complaint about the system...there is NO reason that settings can't be set/saved to the GO app, then transferred to the drone. Does DJI actually respond to these?

I have brought this up to be able to say create a profile that will load when you power on the drone.  This would be great and help the settings that do not save after power off/on.  I have created a couple different threads requesting this but have not heard anything of course.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-30 21:17
If you are talking about waypoints using DJI GO 4 no you cannot.  HOWEVER if you use Litchi you can totally do this.  You can pre-create them on your PC, then once you turn on your RC/AC you put in waypoint mode and upload the waypoint mission you desire.  In fact I just did this today and it works great.  DJI GO 4 app requires you to pre-run a mission before saving and being able to run it.  Litchi does not require this but requires you to ensure everything is correct especially altitude because you can crash if your height is not correct since you did not pre-run the mission

Having never used Litchi / waypoints.  

Is there a way to manually fly a mission, saving mission flight path, edit mission (smoothing things out), create waypoints, then have Litchi replay mission using waypoints for drone to navigate with?

2018-5-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 22:05
Having never used Litchi / waypoints.  

Is there a way to manually fly a mission, saving mission flight path, edit mission (smoothing things out), create waypoints, then have Litchi replay mission using waypoints for drone to navigate with?

Although it is much easier to create and edit the waypoints ahead of time on the PC/MAC you can also create them on the Litchi app as well connected to the AC.  What is cool is when you create the missions on the PC and save as soon as you open the app your missions are there and simply can load and run.  What is awesome is you can also run these missions ahead of time in google earth using virtual litchi manager.  QuadKid did a good tutorial on this and will try and find the thread and link for you.  

On a seperate note but still part of litchi which I just noticed yesterday and is for me freaking awesome is I always shoot in D-Log and on DJI GO 4 the video screen just like the raw footage is very flat almost greayish/black/white and can be hard to see especially when bright outside when flying and looking on the screen.  Litchi has a setting "enhance Display for D-Log Filter" that makes it so much brighter, better to see when flying and shooting in D-Log it looks just like it will after editing in post.  I could not believe the difference in display between DJI GO 4 and Litchi.  I wish DJI GO 4 would do this as well.
2018-5-31
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

would like that also, and I wish the map would download faster.
2018-5-31
Use props
Datree
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21371 ft
United States

Hi All, I agree with this thread. I just got my spark and would like to learn and tinker with all the drone settings. it is a little frustrating that i need to power on the drone to even just look at the setting options. Does anyone know if Profiles will be a thing? I would like to make say a profile for Sports mode, profile for cinematic, and a profile for friend and family. For example if i wanted to just play around for fun put the sports mode profile on and it will disable all sensors and restrictions and enable sports mode to feed the need for speed. Cinematic would disable sport mode set the camera settings (add lighting graph thing i forget what its called) to manual and also change my controller function button to reset the gimbal position. Anyway PROFILES! lets make it happen!
2018-8-17
Use props
djiuser_7MUj5gTc3mpE
New

United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-19 17:51
Considering the settings are saved in the drone and not the app I don't think you're going to get what you hope.

That's a very good point, that the settings are stored in the drone, but no excuse not to do it.  The settings would take up a drop in the bucket so far as cell phone memory is concerned. They most definitely should be stored in the device and then transferred to the drone once the drone is connected.  I have been doing handheld device development in the manufacturing and automation realm for almost 25 years and this is the accepted
protocol.
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_7MUj5gTc3mpE
New

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-19 20:54
I understand you and the basic idea is okay. but the Go App is software controlling the hardware. The settings are stored in each drone and not on the device App. It also controls many different aircraft and they have different features.

I do not think this change can be made to your liking

Sorry, but you are saying there is a unavoidable limitation when there is simply none. It would be very easy for DJI to store settings for each drone you connect to to your device and upload settings when the drone is powered on. As part of that process DJI should probably warn you  when settings have changed in case you inadvertently loaded settings you did not want to. All of this was very simple to do decades ago and with today's technology would be a snap.
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_7MUj5gTc3mpE
New

United States

You are correct, it would be an awesome feature to be able to store different settings on different devices based on how you fly with those devices. I'd never thought of that. Another reason to store the settings on the device and transfer to the drone when connected!
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_7MUj5gTc3mpE
New

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2016-12-20 23:16
Cant be done.

Your reply is absurd. There are many, many, examples of this being done with handheld devices in manufacturing and automation systems.  In fact, later this week I will be reprogramming a robot on an assembly line using my laptop. My laptop hold all the settings and programs for the robot yet the robot has its own program and settings in it right now. Only when I connect my laptop will the new settings to be uploaded. It would be a huge inconvenience if the only way to reprogram my equipment on the plant floor was if I were connected to it live. Sorry, but most software is done this way. Does Microsoft come to my house and reprogram my operating system to give me an update? No, of course not. They do it offline and then I upload it to my system.
2019-1-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_7MUj5gTc3mpE Posted at 1-9 05:54
Sorry, but you are saying there is a unavoidable limitation when there is simply none. It would be very easy for DJI to store settings for each drone you connect to to your device and upload settings when the drone is powered on. As part of that process DJI should probably warn you  when settings have changed in case you inadvertently loaded settings you did not want to. All of this was very simple to do decades ago and with today's technology would be a snap.

djiuser_7MUj5gTc3mpE

Are my eyes deceiving me? This is a delayed response from my post 2016-12-19...……

I was only pointing out what DJI is currently doing. Because they use one App to control so many difference drone types (from basic to advanced) it might not be as easy as you think.

Rich

2019-1-9
Use props
craftyt0ny
lvl.1
United States

I know this is an old thread, but has there been any news on this? For the amount of money I paid for my drone and the around 30 minutes of flight time I get, every drop of power is precious to me. As has been stated before on this thread, this should be a pretty simple fix.
Contrary to what a minority have said, it IS a huge PITA to have to pull the drone out, remove the gimble protection, and power on the drone just to go through my settings. I should be able to easily set things up in the app and let those settings sync when i'm ready to fly.

Thumbs up to those who have mentioned being able to save multiple settings!
2019-4-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules