Missing Satellite view in DJI Go 4.0 (Android)
1234Next >
7765 127 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

boostedford Posted at 2016-12-22 12:29
Nexus 5x here no satellite but regular works and moves with the aircraft now

Yep, map tracks the drone now.  Still have that blurry mess of nothingness pretty much since HERE imagery is 1960s technology.
2016-12-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

This excerpt from HERE's location products seems to indicate that they make use of celluar and wifi signals for 'offline' location determination. (I presume this means 'relative' location or movement).  Seems like it would work better in urban environment and not so well in rural. Still a crappy trade-off to possibly save a little phone battery life or data usage.

I would even be happy to pay a few bucks a year for decent mapping and a stable / robust product.

Assisted GNSS

HERE Assisted GNSS products can dramatically reduce your GNSS time to first fix (TTFF) by delivering comprehensive set of assistance data services as well as leveraging HERE Network Positioning to provide accurate reference locations. You can easily integrate HERE Assisted GNSS services into your device using industry standards such as SUPL, or alternatively use HERE Assisted GNSS fully offline for devices that only connect occasionally.

Network Positioning

HERE Network Positioning can determine a devices location based on mobile network and WiFi signals. This works globally, in both an online mode as well as an offline mode which is perfect for devices that need to carefully manage battery or data usage. HERE Network Positioning is available via HERE Mobile SDK, a Rest API and device-based libraries.
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

For anyone experiencing problems please be as clear as possible regarding device, operating system, location, wifi/cell, app version etc.

I think the internet connection may be the culprit. If you're experiencing issues, please try a wifi connection. I was incorrect.

2016-12-22
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2016-12-22 13:10
For anyone experiencing problems please be as clear as possible regarding device, operating system, location, wifi/cell, app version etc.

I think the internet connection may be the culprit. If you're experiencing issues, please try a wifi connection.

Joe,

In my previous example and screenshots on the previous page, I am connected to Google Fiber via wifi.  I would hope that would be fast enough to download some maps.

Device:  Samsung Note 3
OS:  5.0 (I think, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing)
Location:  Not sure what you are looking for here.  I'm in Shawnee, KS
Wifi/Cell:  Connected to Wifi only
App version:  Originally I was on 4.0.0 but I also just "upgraded" to 4.0.1 and it still has the same issues.
2016-12-22
Use props
Drseussami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108002 ft
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2016-12-22 14:10

I think the internet connection may be the culprit. If you're experiencing issues, please try a wifi connection.

DJI Joe,

So we're supposed to use WiFi to see maps when we're out and about? It doesn't matter, by the way, if it's a WiFi connection or Cellular data connection. HERE doesn't work. Nor does their stand alone app. Check it out for yourself.

Device: Samsung Note 4 and also tried on Note 7
WiFi/Cell: Both don't work to populate Satellite image in DJI GO 4.0.1 or HERE WeGo
App version: Didn't work on 4.0.0 and still doesn't work on 4.0.1 for BOTH devices.
2016-12-22
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Here Maps - which also still don't scroll!!! - are practically unusable, no idea why DJI now think it's fine to make this important feature useless.
All these recent flagship drones are now hamstrung by this nonsense.
Whoever decided to ditch google maps has lost the plot.

Many areas clearly only have very low resolution on Here - and if you have a reasonable ability to zoom in the satellite view is about ten years old.
If the best advice is check you have good internet connection speechless.

2016-12-22
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Drseussami Posted at 2016-12-23 06:24
DJI Joe,

So we're supposed to use WiFi to see maps when we're out and about? It doesn't matter, by the way, if it's a WiFi connection or Cellular data connection. HERE doesn't work. Nor does their stand alone app. Check it out for yourself.

I never said to just use Wifi, I'm just trying to help figure out what the problem is. On my Nexus 6P 7.1.1 I am only seeing the lack of detail when on 4G, but this doesn't seem to apply to others with the issue.

2016-12-22
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Maybe the market leaders DJI want to loose their market share ? or dont want the drones to be flown ?  so far their new strategy is winning LOL  ,   first mess about delivering the mavic,  then mess up the App that controls it,  then mess up the maps so that you dont know where you are !      

3 major flaws right there !  

DJI  PLEASE, you really need to take note !  if you are not doing this as a plan to take you into the future ( or not ) then look around in your camp for the sabateur !  cos they are taking your company down !
2016-12-22
Use props
NickRno77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95502 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Joe Posted at 2016-12-22 21:10

I think the internet connection may be the culprit. If you're experiencing issues, please try a wifi connection. I was incorrect.

Problems on my Superfast Fibre and 4g. No problem on IOS.....

The problem is with HERE Maps on Android. Doesn't matter what device or version of Android as far as I can tell.
Any ideas how I can be notified of updates to this thread?

Thanks

2016-12-22
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Very very unhappy with the maps in GO4 ......  what on earth has DJI done .....

And for the love of god can you please fix the map not centering on the drone during flight ......
2016-12-22
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For got to add i am useing a Samsung S6 Edge and the map detail is shocking even when connected to wifi never mind 4g .....
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Samsung Note 5
Android 6.0.1
GO4 v4.0.1
Columbus, TX
Cell data

Map is crappy looking anywhere I point it, even in major cities.
2016-12-22
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Galaxy tab s 9"
Android 6.0.1
Dji go 4.0.1
Screenshot_2016-12-22-13-27-47.png
2016-12-22
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Sony Z3+
Android 6.0.1
Dji go 4.0.1
Screenshot_20161223-130438.png
2016-12-22
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

Hey everyone check now. I had DJI Go 4 running in the background after checking last and a internal map error popped up. Curious I switched to the Go app and the detailed view was back again!
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-22 21:10
Hey everyone check now. I had DJI Go 4 running in the background after checking last and a internal map error popped up. Curious I switched to the Go app and the detailed view was back again!

Still looks like crap to me.
2016-12-22
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-23 11:21
Still looks like crap to me.

It is not working for me again too. They must be working on it.
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-22 21:40
It is not working for me again too. They must be working on it.

Hope so, although I've never really used the satellite map anyway but everyone complaining about it got me curious.
2016-12-22
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

I Purchased my DJI Phantom 4 in early December 2016.  I purchased a Nvidia Shield 8" tablet in December 2016.  (android).  I have studied 3 weeks getting ready for my first flight for this weekend.  Everything was going very well.  Then it happened.  (sometime late last week).  The satellite and hybrid views on my maps quit working!  I haven't even flown my quad yet!  I went through numerous ways to fix the problem.  Even removed and reinstalled apps, (DJI GO and DJI Go 4), because they both work with my Phantom 4.  I erased and redid the tablet 3 times.  The satellite and hybrid maps still do not work!  I have several android devices and the maps do not work on them also.  I have had a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus for about a year.  I haven't flown it lately, (too cold), but it has worked fine from the day I purchased it.  I have been saved by having the hybrid view!!!  My Phantom 2 Vision Plus landed by itself one time, and I was able to go directly to where it was, because of the hybrid view in the maps!!!!!!!!   I don't want to fly my NEW Phantom 4 without the hybrid maps!!!!!!!  I guess I'll have to return everything if this problem is not fixed.  I waited 9 months to get the Phantom 4 so the firmware bugs could be corrected.  I WANT A SAFE AIRCRAFT!!!!  I chose not to get the Phantom 4 Pro or the MAVIC Pro because they are too new.  Now I have this problem with a craft that has been on the market for over 8 months.  I am concerned.  No results shortly and this unflown quad with the 3 batteries is going back to where I purchased it.  Please help!!!
2016-12-22
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansf23c3e7e Posted at 2016-12-22 22:44
I Purchased my DJI Phantom 4 in early December 2016.  I purchased a Nvidia Shield 8" tablet in December 2016.  (android).  I have studied 3 weeks getting ready for my first flight for this weekend.  Everything was going very well.  Then it happened.  (sometime late last week).  The satellite and hybrid views on my maps quit working!  I haven't even flown my quad yet!  I went through numerous ways to fix the problem.  Even removed and reinstalled apps, (DJI GO and DJI Go 4), because they both work with my Phantom 4.  I erased and redid the tablet 3 times.  The satellite and hybrid maps still do not work!  I have several android devices and the maps do not work on them also.  I have had a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus for about a year.  I haven't flown it lately, (too cold), but it has worked fine from the day I purchased it.  I have been saved by having the hybrid view!!!  My Phantom 2 Vision Plus landed by itself one time, and I was able to go directly to where it was, because of the hybrid view in the maps!!!!!!!!   I don't want to fly my NEW Phantom 4 without the hybrid maps!!!!!!!  I guess I'll have to return everything if this problem is not fixed.  I waited 9 months to get the Phantom 4 so the firmware bugs could be corrected.  I WANT A SAFE AIRCRAFT!!!!  I chose not to get the Phantom 4 Pro or the MAVIC Pro because they are too new.  Now I have this problem with a craft that has been on the market for over 8 months.  I am concerned.  No results shortly and this unflown quad with the 3 batteries is going back to where I purchased it.  Please help!!!

If you need to have the satellite working right now you have to either have an Apple product because the Here maps are apparently fine on them or you can get the Litchi app which still uses Google maps.

I'm sure the issue is being worked on because it's affecting the actual Here maps app for Android users.
2016-12-22
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-23 13:15
If you need to have the satellite working right now you have to either have an Apple product because the Here maps are apparently fine on them or you can get the Litchi app which still uses Google maps.

I'm sure the issue is being worked on because it's affecting the actual Here maps app for Android users.

I think HERE for Android must use a different server or something. I downloaded HERE WeGo just to confirm it was not the DJI Go app issue and it is not working too on Android. iPhone users are reporting no issues.
2016-12-22
Use props
BravoFox
lvl.1
South Africa

Hi All!
I just registered here and my first post on this forum is also to express that I experience the same Issue.
Satellite imagery is working fine on my iPhone SE and my wife's iPhone 6, but my new Nvidea Shield K1 tablet with Android 6.0.1 and latest DJI GO 4 (and also the old app for that matter) has exactly the same issue.
I am connected to my house's Wi-Fi and the images is just a over-zoomed blurry mess.
I am in South Africa and I fly my Phantom 4 over my farm, so I do not really use the maps while flying, but it is good too check out the flight map afterwards
It seems that I get more and more reasons to try the Litchi app... (Or I should have bought the iPad mini instead)
2016-12-23
Use props
Jimney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103268 ft
United Kingdom

fansf23c3e7e Posted at 2016-12-23 04:44

Hi, If you use the Litchi app the maps load just fine, but obviously you get a slight difference in features compared to using the Go app.
2016-12-23
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jimney Posted at 2016-12-23 11:55
Hi, If you use the Litchi app the maps load just fine, but obviously you get a slight difference in features compared to using the Go app.

That's because Litchi is still using Google maps, DJI switched to the crappy Here maps.
2016-12-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

fansf23c3e7e Posted at 2016-12-22 22:44

Fans,

Go to APK Pure and download the DJI Go V3.0.1 not 3.1.0 and install that version until the issue gets corrected. It should still be on Google Maps not Here.

Jerry
2016-12-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jimney Posted at 2016-12-23 11:55

Jim,

Be careful with future updates on Litchi and make sure you're backing up the APK files. Litchi will most likely be forced to use Here Maps in the future with the DJI SDK. I'm still using Litchi v2.7 on my P2 and P3Pro's. I'm only using the newer version (V3.0.1) on my Mavic Pro.

Jerry
2016-12-23
Use props
Jimney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103268 ft
United Kingdom

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-23 18:51
Jim,

Be careful with future updates on Litchi and make sure you're backing up the APK files. Litchi will most likely be forced to use Here Maps in the future with the DJI SDK. I'm still using Litchi v2.7 on my P2 and P3Pro's. I'm only using the newer version (V3.0.1) on my Mavic Pro.

Thanks for the tip Jerry
2016-12-23
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

Any official update on this issue?
2016-12-24
Use props
BravoFox
lvl.1
South Africa

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-25 07:45
Any official update on this issue?

As you said in post #61, it is clearly and issue with Here maps on Android. I have reported this problem to Here from the app stating that satellite imagery works fine in iOS and Web Browsers but not Android, and I would suggest that anyone which has this same Issue do the same so that they can resolve this.
2016-12-24
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Singapore

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
App: DJI Go 4, version 4.0.1, 22 Dec 2016

Screenshot_20161225-152637.jpg
2016-12-24
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

BravoFox Posted at 2016-12-25 15:00
As you said in post #61, it is clearly and issue with Here maps on Android. I have reported this problem to Here from the app stating that satellite imagery works fine in iOS and Web Browsers but not Android, and I would suggest that anyone which has this same Issue do the same so that they can resolve this.

I was hoping that DJI which should have more influence, spoke to HERE and can provide a update. When we submit the issue it is a one way street with no feedback or reply from HERE.
2016-12-25
Use props
River One
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same deathly map visibility problem here with the newest DJI4 on Nvidia shield (Wi-Fi) for my Mavic. Litchi seems fine. I have over 1400 flights on my Inspire 1 but have not flown since the mapping source change by DJI but I can assume if the P4 is getting the same dangerous mapping I can now assume the same will be for DJI GO on the inspire. So both of my birds are down until DJI correct what ever they did this week. NOONE SHOULD EVER FLY WITH MAPPING LIKE THIS AND WE SHOULD NOT BE EXPECT TO USE THIRD PARTY (LITCHI) SOFTWARE.... this is now a bundle of lawsuits awaiting for us all!! Its really been shocking on how DJI treats android users.. why don't they just start out telling us that this product is only or IOS users like Autopilot has done? I am now grounded and very upset I will not back track software to 3 and/or fly Litchi!!! Get on this DJI !!!
2016-12-25
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

DJI, you dont need Details on every phone as it doesnt work on ANY phone.
Simple as that.
Spend that 30 cents and buy a google map license please this is a shame.

Nils
2016-12-25
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

I am Post # 59.  (Refer to that Post as reference)  Today was to be my first flight with my new Phantom 4.  If I hear nothing from DJI except to downgrade firmware, this bird will be packed up today and returned to Best Buy this week.  I will not fly with a defective map for numerous reasons.  I am so disappointed.  I waited 8 months to get the Phantom 4.  I wanted to wait for firmware issues to be corrected.  I get my new Phantom 4 ready for flight, and DJI upgrades the Phantom 4 firmware, and I have no satellite or hybrid view but a blur on hybrid, and green screen on satellite view.  This is not acceptable.  I am now out the extras ($$$) I purchased for my drone.  I thought I had waited long enough.  I am really sad, but glad I didn't take a potentially dangerous first flight today.  I guess I'm just ventilating now.  Nothing I can do to correct the problem but downgrade the firmware.  I will not go backward.  I will return first.
2016-12-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-25 05:43
I was hoping that DJI which should have more influence, spoke to HERE and can provide a update. When we submit the issue it is a one way street with no feedback or reply from HERE.

Not sure if this makes you happy or not, but HERE hybrid or satellite view doesn't work now on ANY of my devices (S5, Note 4, Note 5).  I just shows gray - USELESS GARBAGE!
2016-12-25
Use props
Drseussami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108002 ft
United States

I'd also like to point out when I go to HERE's website on my computer and look at their satellite images they are more than 5 YEARS old! I can understand a year old, but more than 5 years? I'm seeing neighbor's cars they haven't had in at least that long, and a roof on my house that is at least that old. How are we supposed to navigate, even IF DJI and HERE gets their satellite images fixed, with Old Images? Anyone for a road trip across country in a car or plane with 5 year old maps? This is just downright laughable....
2016-12-25
Use props
m1xzg
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Following on the suggestion to complain to HERE I typed in the description of "unable to get satellite" and they give a possible answer of:

The satellite maps in HERE Maps sometimes look quite blurry. Is there something I can do?
Unfortunately, no. But rest assured, we are always working to improve the quality of our satellite views.

Even after downloading nearly 2GB of offline map data from them and using the Here We Go app in offline mode (set in the app itself), there simply is nothing of use to display in satellite mode.

I concur that DJI needs to dump HERE and dump them fast!   Here We Go need to get gone!

I'm using Galaxy S7 (not edge) and get the same results on 200meg broadband and 4G.  
2016-12-25
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I can confirm going back to 3.0.1 does bring back google maps
2016-12-25
Use props
s0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

Anthony566 Posted at 2016-12-26 00:40
I can confirm going back to 3.0.1 does bring back google maps

Same lo-res satellite view problems here (UK) using 3.1.1 on Nexus 7(2nd gen) which is an officially supported device.

Same problem if I load the satellite view directly in the HERE maps app

I notice the Play store has a v4 of DJI Go: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4 The reviews of this suggest that has the same problem with satellite views.

2016-12-25
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

m1xzg Posted at 2016-12-26 07:13
Following on the suggestion to complain to HERE I typed in the description of "unable to get satellite" and they give a possible answer of:

The satellite maps in HERE Maps sometimes look quite blurry. Is there something I can do?

That is not the same issue. I know what my area looks like when working with HERE maps. It was very clear and detailed. I am sure that only applies to areas with poor imagery not down imagery.
2016-12-25
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules