P3 Battery Service Life
1452 19 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

I have 2 batteries, #1 came with my P3A a year and a half ago, #2 I got last month. According to the in app battery life indicator, #1 is now down to 68% and #2 is now 98%. This info is only in Litchi, since Dji Go stopped showing it several updates ago. It must still be available in their SDK however.

My older battery (68% life) heats up much more during flights than my newer battery (98% life). Guess it works harder to produce the needed amperage. Makes sense anyway. But, how hot is too hot?

So, is anyone else tracking battery life? At what Percentage do you toss the battery? (for safety sake)
Other than not being able to reach maximum (100%) charge, does it really matter?
[size=14.6667px]Here is the battery screen from Litchi showing battery life:
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Below is the battery screen from the Go app:
IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Perhaps a deep cycle, drain and recharge, for that battery is in order.
It was recommended by DJI staff, to deep cycle them after every ten full charges.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-20 15:51
Perhaps a deep cycle, drain and recharge, for that battery is in order.
It was recommended by DJI staff, to deep cycle them after every ten full charges.

Hello Poke
I did that as you suggested, but sadly it only increased the percentage until the next charge. I think it is an accurate representation
2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-12-20 15:55
Hello Poke
I did that as you suggested, but sadly it only increased the percentage until the next charge. I think it is an accurate representation

Oh, that seems counter productive, to me. You say that a deep cycle reduced battery expected life?
Possible that thee battery in question has issues?

I miss battery life notification, in our iOS version of the Go App. Hope that it gets reinstated. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-20 16:01
Oh, that seems counter productive, to me. You say that a deep cycle reduced battery expected life?
Possible that thee battery in question has issues?

Yes my post is a reminder to DJI that we miss that info.

I guess I was not clear in my response. I did not mean the deep cycling further reduced the service life - only that it did not help or restore the capacity.

I wonder what percentage others have seen their battery life reduced to, after how many flights and over what time period?

As far as condition, both batteries are well within the norm for cell voltage variation. That's good!
2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-12-20 16:21
Yes my post is a reminder to DJI that we miss that info.

I guess I was not clear in my response. I did not mean the deep cycling further reduced the service life - only that it did not help or restore the capacity.

Battery Life info, is still available for Android user pilots, but unfortunately for us with iOS, not a function we can count on, any longer. The request for its return has been sent to HQ by DJI-Ken, and we wait to see what transforms, in the next updates. Fingers are crossed. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

Here is the chart from the manual.  I "RTFM" {:4_181:}

2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

My single original battery will never die. It will only transform into a doorstop.
Take two, and the metamorphosis shall bring me a "swell" pair of matching bookends.

Make up your own happy ending... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

I like the last line in my post above. (When battery life reaches 0% it can no longer be used).
2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Stinky711 Posted at 2016-12-20 19:01
I like the last line in my post above. (When battery life reaches 0% it can no longer be used).

Glad you amuse yourself. ;-)

Used for what? A hammer.

If someone asked me, if I had anything for the head, I would have the ultimate answer.

In reply, "Ah yes, a sack of hammers." Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2016-12-20 18:26
Here is the chart from the manual.  I "RTFM"

[view_image]

Yes I just discovered that info in the manual. That's easier that putting the battery in the drone, turning everything on and checking the battery tab in the Go app.
Thanks for the advice.
BTW: Using the battery life method in the manual, I show 30-40%. Litchi shows 68% remaining. I guess DJI knows better.
Anyway...if 130 charges is 40%, then the total charges till 0% is 325. It's probably not linear however.
I may have up to 195 charges left. :-)
2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

How you fly will Definately have an eventual affect upon battery longevity.
If you run the sh!t out of them, every flight, I can see them deteriorating in a much faster fashion.
Where as, If you only fly calm and much slower, spending plenty of time in relax mode hovering in tranquility, then perhaps and only maybe, they will outlast even your own expectancy.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-20 19:30
How you fly will Definately have an eventual affect upon battery longevity.
If you run the sh!t out of them, every flight, I can see them deteriorating in a much faster fashion.
Where as, If you only fly calm and much slower, spending plenty of time calm, hovering in tranquility, then perhaps and only maybe, they will outlast even your own expectancy.

My usage is usually very smooth 20mph Litchi missions, so we will see.
The only expectation I have is based on my history with L-Ion batteries. They become pretty useless after 2 or 3 years. That's why I'm asking other pilots to share their experience with these LiPo's.
When do your's usually become doorstops?
2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-12-20 20:25
My usage is usually very smooth 20mph Litchi missions, so we will see.
The only expectation I have is based on my history with L-Ion batteries. They become pretty useless after 2 or 3 years. That's why I'm asking other pilots to share their experience with these LiPo's.
When do your's usually become doorstops?

Mine? Well that remains to be seen. I have no forecast Chrystal Ball, nor a magical Genie in a Lamp to rub.

I just fly them, and recharge. Wishing for the very best outcome.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-20 21:22
Mine? Well that remains to be seen. I have no forecast Chrystal Ball, nor a magical Genie in a Lamp to rub.

I just fly them, and recharge. Wishing for the very best outcome.

That's a  very encouraging response. Just fly on. Will do. (Fortunately I'm getting a Trackimo for Christmas - Another battery would be good also.)
2016-12-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-12-20 21:52
That's a  very encouraging response. Just fly on. Will do. (Fortunately I'm getting a Trackimo for Christmas - Another battery would be good also.)

I put these awesome tiny LED "squares" on my drone, which will shine brightly on, should my drone bite the dust...

But I don't let that downer thought dictate my flying styles or my longer distances traveled.
Just having plenty of  fun, and I have the numerous videos to prove it... Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-20
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-20 20:56
I put these awesome tiny LED "squares" on my drone, which will shine brightly on, should my drone bite the dust...

But I don't let that downer thought dictate my flying styles or my longer distances traveled.

Hi Red
How bout a link to some of your public videos. I would to see some shots of the northern region.
Thx
2017-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-10 09:18
Hi Red
How bout a link to some of your public videos. I would to see some shots of the northern region.
Thx

I have not shared any of my videos yet, unless to close friends through email.
I have a major dilemma, Google owns YouTube.

I have a lot of 4K videos. ;-)

I have been lax... Hahaha

Me myself and us.
I need to take some precious time, to edit and get some of my footage up. Even to Vimeo... Chuckles

RedHotPoker

2017-1-10
Use props
sharkfoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 511640 ft
United States

I've been using www.dronelogbook.com to log all my flights and there is a section in there for battery. What is interesting is that it references "Battery Cycles" and the default number is 75. I wonder if they suggest that the battery can only be recharged 75 times before it starts becoming end of life?
2017-1-10
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

sharkfoot Posted at 2017-1-10 15:52
I've been using www.dronelogbook.com to log all my flights and there is a section in there for battery. What is interesting is that it references "Battery Cycles" and the default number is 75. I wonder if they suggest that the battery can only be recharged 75 times before it starts becoming end of life?

I'm approaching 140 cycles. Litchi says it is down to 67% life
Pressing and holding the battery button however shows one solid light. (30 to 40%) who do you believe? Batt works ok for now.

Batt Life

Batt Life

2017-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules