Cold Battery Message on DJI GO App
5056 8 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
delcodrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440367 ft

United States

I live in the Northeast, took my Inspire 1 out for some flights yesterday. It was my first cold weather flight with Inspire. The temperature was 26 degrees after the insertion of the first battery and after powering the Inspire 1 on I receive this message. " Battery temperature is at 15 degrees please warm up battery to 25 degrees before flying.  Is this a standard warning message? The battery had been in my car on the floor heating up prior to flight but it sat in the unit for about 10 minutes while setting up in cold before I started her up. SoI flew with extreme caution and did not take the Inspire far because of the cold battery concern. The others stayed in the car and I did not receive any other warning messages after switching that battery out. All and all I received around the same flight time maybe just a little less did not notice much loss of battery time due to the cold. But I still kept her close by.  Since there is 2 full months of winter left here I was wondering how many of you fly in the cold and what experiences or recommendations you mighty have. Is the battery heater worth it and does it reduce battery power?
2016-12-20
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It is a standard message, try to keep your batteries in the car and take them out just before you fly, so the temperature when you take off is 25 degrees. In flight your battery will, most likely, keep it's temperature by producing heat cause of the chemical reactions in the LiPo cells.
The battery heater will take approximate 3% from your battery. I don't use it, I just keep my batteries in the car like you do, but I only take them out just before I take off, never had any issues flying like this.  
2016-12-20
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3

United States

Robin UAV Posted at 2016-12-21 10:32
It is a standard message, try to keep your batteries in the car and take them out just before you fly, so the temperature when you take off is 25 degrees. In flight your battery will, most likely, keep it's temperature by producing heat cause of the chemical reactions in the LiPo cells.
The battery heater will take approximate 3% from your battery. I don't use it, I just keep my batteries in the car like you do, but I only take them out just before I take off, never had any issues flying like this.

Thanks @Robin UAV
2016-12-20
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this happen last winter. I had flown one battery then changed it out and the new one sat in the bird for 5 minutes while I was talking to a curious onlooker. When I turned it on, I got the cold battery message. I immediately turned it off and inserted another that had been in my case surrounded with foam. (Caseman case) It worked fine.
     Lesson I learned was that it only takes a few minutes for a battery to get cold once in the bird as it is VERY exposed! I have made many cold flights since and never had the problem again. I flew 2 days ago in 28 degrees and when landing, the battery was warm from discharging. The key is to start out with warm battery. It will keep itself warm when flying.
     The batteries are very sensitive to the cold and 'intelligent' enough to know when they are too cold. (Also sensitive to high heat.)
2016-12-20
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

The warning message about cold is a new feature in the Go and Go 4 apps but the reasoning is established. Chemical reactions slow down in the cold and current generation is affected. Avoid high power moves early in the flight on a cold day.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Here is a screenshot for your reference. Low Temperature Notice.png
2016-12-20
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-21 02:45
Here is a screenshot for your reference.[view_image]

Great Info Thanks
2016-12-21
Use props
Cat and Otter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559183 ft
United States

I recently started to keep my batteries in a little lunch-sized cooler with a couple of the disposable chemical hand warmer packs rubber banded to them. Overkill? Probably. But when you have a job and need to get-r-done when the temp is 10 degrees F (-12c), eliminating as many potential risks is paramount.
Added benefit: as you use the batteries, you can use the hand warmers for what they were designed for!
2016-12-21
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3

United States

Cat and Otter Posted at 2016-12-22 00:50
I recently started to keep my batteries in a little lunch-sized cooler with a couple of the disposable chemical hand warmer packs rubber banded to them. Overkill? Probably. But when you have a job and need to get-r-done when the temp is 10 degrees F (-12c), eliminating as many potential risks is paramount.
Added benefit: as you use the batteries, you can use the hand warmers for what they were designed for!

Doesn't sound like overkill to me if it works!
2016-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules