Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focusing Issues and Can't Re-calibrate Camera
3882 6 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

I flew my drone yesterday for the first time in several days, and it seemed to be having serious focusing issues. It didn't seem to focus properly whether I tapped the screen or used C-1 for center focus. It would focus properly sometimes, but not most of the time.

A little bit after that flight, I decided to do some testing with the focusing, and also to try re-calibrating the camera. I did a screen capture that shows me trying various things. It seems like the camera can no longer focus at close distances, and struggles to focus properly at any distance. Whenever I try to recalibratie, I keep getting the error that the target is not far away enough, even though I was trying with targets well over 50m away.

I have the latest firmware installed and the latest version of DJI Go 4 for Android. The last time I flew my Mavic was about 10 days ago, and the focusing was working fine. Between then and now, I have traveled to another country and taken the Mavic with me. I had the Mavic safely packed in it's case, inside my carry-on luggage, with the gimbal lock and cover properly fitted. There should be no way the camera was damaged during transit.

Any idea what could be wrong?

2016-12-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Jason, have you tried to change another place to do the lens calibration?
Since the sky and the mountain might not have high contrast.
2016-12-22
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-22 19:58
Hello Jason, have you tried to change another place to do the lens calibration?
Since the sky and the mountain might not have high contrast.

Hi Mindy. It seems like it was a bug in the DJI Go 4 app. I was about to try your suggestion and try using other targets for calibration (even though I had already tried quite a few), but before I did the new tests, I noticed that an app update was available. I installed the update yesterday, and this time, when I went into the camera settings, there was no more option to "Calibrate Again." The only option was to "Reset Camera Settings." So I tried that, and now the focus seems to be fine again. There was no need to tap on any distance objects or anything like that. It seems like just some software settings were reset, and the gimbal did some sort of calibration on its own, and that was it.

So, what was that "Calibrate Again" option that I had previously? Is that a software bug, and an option that is only meant for other models of drone?

And I still don't know why the focus went wrong in the first place. Does that happen often?
2016-12-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-23 09:40
Hi Mindy. It seems like it was a bug in the DJI Go 4 app. I was about to try your suggestion and try using other targets for calibration (even though I had already tried quite a few), but before I did the new tests, I noticed that an app update was available. I installed the update yesterday, and this time, when I went into the camera settings, there was no more option to "Calibrate Again." The only option was to "Reset Camera Settings." So I tried that, and now the focus seems to be fine again. There was no need to tap on any distance objects or anything like that. It seems like just some software settings were reset, and the gimbal did some sort of calibration on its own, and that was it.

So, what was that "Calibrate Again" option that I had previously? Is that a software bug, and an option that is only meant for other models of drone?

It's on the P4P+ (w/ display) also.  Seems like it is for focusing to infinity upon start-up, because my P4P+ footage is always clear & in-focus.  I often forget to focus, too, but everything is still always in-focus.  

Maybe this is coming to the Mavic, or it might be automatic now with the C-AF.
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-24 01:40

Hello Jason, we had removed the "Calibration Again" from DJI GO app.
Please test more and let me know if everything is fine now.
2016-12-25
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

I have seen this focus issue as well out of the blue. I have not looked at the settings and calibration yet but symptoms are just as you describe.
2016-12-26
Use props
fanse66a3bf6
lvl.3
Spain

Cwood Posted at 2016-12-26 10:37
I have seen this focus issue as well out of the blue. I have not looked at the settings and calibration yet but symptoms are just as you describe.

The same happened to mi.
The problem was some condensation inside the lens.
Look the video here http://forum.dji.com/thread-77579-1-1.html
In my case it appear only when y teak off the drone.
Rice or disecant didn't work,
But had it 2 days in the sun,
And now it's fine.
So teak a look at the lens after teak off and look  if condensation is the problem.
Hope it help.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules