3671 6 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Simple question ... Any decent video editing software should be able to open and process D-log or D-Cinema footage, so ... what's the purpose of these?
2016-12-21
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Simple answer, it converts files from one format to another.

Mark G.
2016-12-22
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-23 00:48
Simple answer, it converts files from one format to another.

Mark G.

C'mon, Brother Mark ... you can do better than that ... What are the benefits of using DJI transcoding tools? Would one get better results than - say - Adobe Premiere Pro CC is offering?
2016-12-23
Use props
Henry M.Y.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-12-23 17:10
C'mon, Brother Mark ... you can do better than that ... What are the benefits of using DJI transcoding tools? Would one get better results than - say - Adobe Premiere Pro CC is offering?

Hi Matthew,

Jim explained the purposes of using transcoding tools in this thread. He also put forward under what situation one will need using transcoding tools.

In the past, playing back or editing H.264 codec footages were too demanding for CPU. Given the powerful CPU and GPU nowadays computers have, I think transcoding tools are now rarely used for overcoming CPU or GPU liimitations. With respect to the other puprpose (i.e. colour grading), I think if one need colour grading from Dlogged footages in post-processing, he just needs to use the downloaded Cube configuration files from DJI website.  

Now that more demanding H.265 codec footages from P4P and I2 are appearing, there may be another round of transcoding tools coming out until such moment when computers having even more powerful CPU & GPU are becoming common.

Henry

2016-12-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2016-12-23 06:01
Hi Matthew,

Jim explained the purposes of using transcoding tools in this thread. He also put forward under what situation one will need using transcoding tools.

Thank you, Henry ... Truly professional response, as usual.

Talking about 265 codec ... Just recently - experimenting with timelapse video - I rendered 41 second long sequence (999 frames) to UHD clip with this new codec. Although - indeed - the resulted file size is about 1/4 of H.264 equivalent and the image quality is astonishingly good - the process takes eons on relatively decent computing machine of mine. 15 minutes with H.264 and over 2 hours with 265! Definitely beneficial codec for network distribution worldwide, but for hobbyist like myself ... I don't know ...

Cheers, Brother Henry.
2016-12-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-12-23 22:21
Thank you, Henry ... Truly professional response, as usual.

Talking about 265 codec ... Just recently - experimenting with timelapse video - I rendered 41 second long sequence (999 frames) to UHD clip with this new codec. Although - indeed - the resulted file size is about 1/4 of H.264 equivalent and the image quality is astonishingly good - the process takes eons on relatively decent computing machine of mine. 15 minutes with H.264 and over 2 hours with 265! Definitely beneficial codec for network distribution worldwide, but for hobbyist like myself ... I don't know ...

Of course rendering time is bitrate settings dependable ...
2016-12-23
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-12-23 09:10

Sorry Bro, that's all I got. I don't use it, I have someone do all the edits for me.

Happy Christmas to you though  

Mark G.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules