Antenna Upgrades
4762 29 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The_Hawk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28369 ft
Australia

So I've upgraded the antenna on the remote with the ITElite panel and am now looking at upgrading the antennas on the Phantom itself but have run into a little snag...

I bought this (as they are listed as an upgrade for the P3S:
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/ ... -p2v-itelite-panel/

but as it turns out I've been looking at P2Vision install videos in the mistaken belief that they were the same/similar on the inside... many screws and clips later it seems that's not the case at all.

From what I can tell the 2.4GHz antennas actually connect directly to the Gimbal using U.FL Mini PCI connectors, meaning I actually need to get some U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA connectors, wire these directly to the Gimbal (and unplug the stock antennas).

Is this correct?

(If it is, that means I didn't have to disassemble the P3S at all and could have simply unplugged them from the gimbal )

Next question, the 5GHz antennas are connected to the top of the circuit board inside the P3S, again using U.FL Mini PCI connectors.  Is there a recommended upgrade for these antennas?

Any advice on antenna upgrades would be very happily accepted.
2016-12-22
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I think that is more trouble than it is worth myself. But your ITElite panel upgrade should have been a worthwhile upgrade. Is there something wrong with it? Aren't you getting a 2 to 3 mile range with it? There isn't much sense going too much further as once you go 4 miles out, you only have enough battery power to bring it back.
2016-12-22
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-22 08:22
I think that is more trouble than it is worth myself. But your ITElite panel upgrade should have been a worthwhile upgrade. Is there something wrong with it? Aren't you getting a 2 to 3 mile range with it? There isn't much sense going too much further as once you go 4 miles out, you only have enough battery power to bring it back.

I'd be lucky if I could get past 900m with my itelite install....2-3miles man that's the dream
2016-12-23
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-12-23 16:19
I'd be lucky if I could get past 900m with my itelite install....2-3miles man that's the dream

Wow really? I live out in the country with forest all around and I am getting 1200 meters (3937 feet) with the stock setup. Here's a guy getting 8200 feet with his stock setup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/djiphan ... m_3_standard_range/
2016-12-23
Use props
couchpotato
New

United Kingdom

Hey guys,

I snapped the standard ariel on my controller and thought instead of repairing, i should upgrade.  what can you recommend?  Merry Christmas BTW

Adam
2016-12-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Putting after-market antennas on the RC unit is one thing, doing to the aircraft is very risky. The last thing you need is directional antennas on both ends of a link, because while you can adjust the position of the antennas on the RC, there is no way to do the same on the aircraft. In my opinion, a dumb modification. But as you have already purchased them, no doubt you will go ahead and fit them.

2016-12-25
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-26 06:54
Putting after-market antennas on the RC unit is one thing, doing to the aircraft is very risky. The last thing you need is directional antennas on both ends of a link, because while you can adjust the position of the antennas on the RC, there is no way to do the same on the aircraft. In my opinion, a dumb modification. But as you have already purchased them, no doubt you will go ahead and fit them.

Ha! 4 days later a reasonable suggestion is made.
2016-12-25
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

couchpotato Posted at 2016-12-26 06:45
Hey guys,

I snapped the standard ariel on my controller and thought instead of repairing, i should upgrade.  what can you recommend?  Merry Christmas BTW

Ok, upgrade to a P4P
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

couchpotato Posted at 2016-12-25 17:45
Hey guys,

This, a DBS. Amps are optional.
IMAG0268.jpg
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-25 17:54

Don't think this are too directional, if install at different angles. https://www.maxxuav.com/collecti ... ghz-bazooka-dipoles

Or these: https://fpvlr.com/store/product/ ... -p2v-itelite-panel/

2016-12-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 12:19
Don't think this are too directional, if install at different angles. https://www.maxxuav.com/collecti ... ghz-bazooka-dipoles
[view_image]
Or these: https://fpvlr.com/store/product/ ... -p2v-itelite-panel/

Yes, dipoles are directional, end on to the dipole is the point of weakest signal, much like the end of a vertical whip.
2016-12-25
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Why? The P4P costs a thousand bucks more than than the P3S. Plus I can buy four refurbished P3S for the price of one P4P. And add a hundred bucks for an antenna mod for the P3S, you'll have the same range as the P4P for $900 cheaper.
2016-12-26
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-26 17:19
Why? The P4P costs a thousand bucks more than than the P3S. Plus I can buy four refurbished P3S for the price of one P4P. And add a hundred bucks for an antenna mod for the P3S, you'll have the same range as the P4P for $900 cheaper.

I know.  I lost track of this thread after reading the OP's interest in upgrading the antennas on his AC.
2016-12-26
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-26 05:15
I know.  I lost track of this thread after reading the OP's interest in upgrading the antennas on his AC.

Oh yeah... that would do it.
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-26 02:51
Yes, dipoles are directional, end on to the dipole is the point of weakest signal, much like the end of a vertical whip.

Since we're talking about the 2.4GHz signal coming from the craft, and it uses those small 1" square pads (one left and one right of the battery) aren't those directional to a degree? Meaning the best signal would be to the sides of the drone? If you were to install the dipoles at right angles to each other that should have you covered.
2016-12-26
Use props
couchpotato
New

United Kingdom

Apologies,  I should have stated that i was talking about upgrading the antenna, not the who unit.
2016-12-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-27 02:52
Since we're talking about the 2.4GHz signal coming from the craft, and it uses those small 1" square pads (one left and one right of the battery) aren't those directional to a degree? Meaning the best signal would be to the sides of the drone? If you were to install the dipoles at right angles to each other that should have you covered.

Yes, perhaps. but on the other hand we do not know the gain of the pad antennas, they may be higher than the dipoles?
2016-12-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

Question - the aircraft - I assumed the wires running down inside of legs were the antennae for 5.8 and 2.4 .... the only plate antenna were in the controller.

Unfortunately I am a long way from home and can't check.

Nigel
2016-12-26
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-27 06:15
Yes, perhaps. but on the other hand we do not know the gain of the pad antennas, they may be higher than the dipoles?

The polarization will have some effect on the directional property. I have to try this the next time I'm almost out of 2.4g range; crab walk.
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-26 17:45
Question - the aircraft - I assumed the wires running down inside of legs were the antennae for 5.8 and 2.4 .... the only plate antenna were in the controller.

Unfortunately I am a long way from home and can't check.

Actually the wires in the legs are both for control @ 5.8 GHz, inside the craft there are two plate antennas for the wifi @ 2.4GHz, just like the ones in the RC. If you take out the battery and look to the left and right you can see them, at least one. The other one is a bit hard to see from the battery port.
2016-12-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

I need to get home .... sort out my battery systems .... and to check this.

If as you say the 2.4 is by plates as well in the aircraft .... one either side of battery .... that means they are facing to each side .... which would usually be 90° to ground controller. I could understand the plates being 90° to each other up there to give diversification ....

I need to get home !

Nigel
2016-12-26
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-27 10:43
I need to get home .... sort out my battery systems .... and to check this.

If as you say the 2.4 is by plates as well in the aircraft .... one either side of battery .... that means they are facing to each side .... which would usually be 90° to ground controller. I could understand the plates being 90° to each other up there to give diversification ....

If you look into the battery bay, you'll find this is true and.... if you look closely you might catch a glimpse of the 2nd SD card.
2016-12-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

I know about the second SD card .... which is fixed in place.

I did see metal plates when I was at home - but it was only a fleeting glimpse - assumed they are shields.

Nigel
2016-12-26
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-27 11:45
I know about the second SD card .... which is fixed in place.

I did see metal plates when I was at home - but it was only a fleeting glimpse - assumed they are shields.

The card is in a socket but it's secured in place with that damn white silicone goop.When I saw this I thought "is that what it's using as ram?"
2016-12-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-27 11:54
The card is in a socket but it's secured in place with that damn white silicone goop.

For very good reason as its not intended to be removed ever.

Nigel
2016-12-26
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-27 11:59
For very good reason as its not intended to be removed ever.

Nigel

Have you connected your pc and read what's on that card?
2016-12-26
Use props
The_Hawk
lvl.1
Australia

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-24 09:52
Wow really? I live out in the country with forest all around and I am getting 1200 meters (3937 feet) with the stock setup. Here's a guy getting 8200 feet with his stock setup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/djiphan ... m_3_standard_range/

The reports of range with the P3S are very very varied.  Some people are getting massive distance and others are very ordinary.

Maybe it's all about signal or maybe there are some QC issues in some parts.  Who knows for sure.

If I could find another local P3S owner maybe we could test swapping the remotes over and see what (if any) difference that makes (maybe one remote/bird has issues)??  Or maybe it really is just down to location and what other signals are around.

My next step it going to be to pull the remote down and re-check the connections as was suggested and while I've done similar works before and I was very careful during the install process, the Phantom is new to me so it's worth double checking again.

For the moment those dipoles can wait in the box of future parts.
2016-12-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-27 12:03
Have you connected your pc and read what's on that card?

Yes.

Nigel
2016-12-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Russia

I fly with another guy with a P3S .... all others have Lightbridge models.

He gets about 200m in our club spot ... which I have yet to fly - I only flown local to my house so far and enjoyed 700m.

Nigel
2016-12-27
Use props
The_Hawk
lvl.1
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-27 21:38
I fly with another guy with a P3S .... all others have Lightbridge models.

He gets about 200m in our club spot ... which I have yet to fly - I only flown local to my house so far and enjoyed 700m.

That would be very interesting to see if there is any substantial difference at the same location.  It would be great if you can update us when you get a chance.
2016-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules