Apple Ipad mini 4
7583 20 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

Hi! Please advice. I'm thinking about Ipad mini 4. Is there somebody who could explain what is the technical difference between the standard version and cellular and how it affects flying with drone.
I'm also thinking about necessary memory space. Mini 4 available with 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and so on.... Could you please share your experience what amount of memory your job (files) takes on your tablet, for what you are using it. How that tablet can be used for flying with drone. I plan to use it as part of controller of course (what else...?). What amount iof memory that would require.

Does cellular version require sim card with internet connection for full operation?

TNX!

2016-12-22
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.2

United States

I would get the cheapest mini they have. As far as storage, it has nothing to do with flying the drone, this would be for putting apps and videos separate from the drone on the ipad. The SD card is what captures your drone video. Cellular would require a sim card and data plan. Unless you want that, dont get it as you dont need it at all.
2016-12-22
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

16gig is small.  I would recommend at least 32.   The drone does need storage for cache of video files and flight records.   an iPad will quickly go through 16 gigs if you load apps on it.    I have an iPad air 2 (not used for drone flying), and i am constantly needing to free up space.

2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

You don't need the cellular capabilities (or even the WiFi capabilities) when out in the field to fly the drone.   There are a few previous posts on this but I couldn't quickly find them.

The WiFi model doesn't have GPS so Follow Me won't work I believe (but active track is a better option IMO anyway).  You'll also have to cache maps if that's something you'll use (doesn't bother me).

So, I went with the WiFi Mini 4 with 32GB and can't wait to get it going this weekend.  My iPhone 6 screen was just a little too small, and the battery drains quickly.  

Enjoy!
2016-12-22
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Cellular version is only important if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or have the ability to change the home point from the takeoff location to your current location after takeoff (e.g. if you walk away from the takeoff location).  And, you can do those things without paying for the cellular service. It just uses the GPS built in to the cellular version.  However, in order to see the maps, you must have an Internet connection which requires tethering your ipad to a hotspot, or paying for cellular data, or caching maps at home (or any wifi) before you fly ahead of time. This is how you cache maps ahead of time:
2016-12-22
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

So if i understand correctly, i can do all necessary preparation things (maps downloand/uploading) at home, where i have internet (wifi) and no need for cellular version? I just thought maybe Mavic would work better with this cellular connection? Isn't it so? I looked over forum and there are very many comments about lost signal, crashed drone without apparent reason
2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Correct.  The Mavic works on its own (dual) GPS.  The connection to the drone from the controller is RC.  The phone/tablet simply acts as an extension of the controller, and since it's plugged in via a cable is doesn't require any wireless transmission.

The cellular connection isn't used at all by the Mavic.  In fact, having the cellular function activated will just drain the battery more quickly and (potentially) could create more interference.

Now, if you didn't upgrade your firmware before leaving the house and suddenly needed to download a new one in the field a cellular connection might be handy, but it's for that sort of corner use case (and Follow Me) - not for flying the drone.
2016-12-22
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

the mini 4 has the best screen of all the iPads out right now, as far as storage, I guess it depends on what you plan to store on the device. The DJI app only stores a small, low quality video, but overtime it could add up if you never delete them. As far as operating the drone on a daily basis I don't see how the performance would be affected by 16gb. Just make sure to delete files once you no longer need them.
2016-12-22
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

Yet i had several years old, relatively big Samsung tablet with very poor battery, i could check internet only for 1 hour. I used it only for quick notes and internet check. I even don't know what those modern Apple things can be used for. ;) At the moment i need addition to the Mavics controler, that's why I should buy something for it. ;)
2016-12-22
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
United States

I was considering the ipad mini 4, but since it's too cold to fly here and I can use my kids ipad mini 2, I'm holding out for the ipad mini 5 (or mini pro). If I needed one now the ipad mini 4 is a great choice, I've found the ipad mini 2 to work great so you could save a few bucks and just get that.
2016-12-22
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

I would be happy for Apple iPad Pro 9.7" with those features what it has, but seems that it will be too big for Mavics RC ;(
2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

What I really want is for some savvy company to come out with a low cost 'drone optimized' tablet.  Small-ish, decontented (no speakers, no headphones), processing power optimized for visuals/latency, and with most of the money put into the screen brightness.
2016-12-22
Use props
czkidd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 991 ft
United States

Fly with a mini.  Airplane mode.  Flys great.
2016-12-22
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

DJI could produce this accessory themselves
2016-12-22
Use props
gburns53
lvl.1
United States

GZP Posted at 2016-12-22 11:15
So if i understand correctly, i can do all necessary preparation things (maps downloand/uploading) at home, where i have internet (wifi) and no need for cellular version? I just thought maybe Mavic would work better with this cellular connection? Isn't it so? I looked over forum and there are very many comments about lost signal, crashed drone without apparent reason

Yes.

As far as storage. There's lots aways around it. Leave the files on the SD card. You don't have to download the files to your mini. If you want them on your Mini, you could sync those files to the Cloud, delete, and stream when desired. Or move the SD disk files straight to a computer or hard drive.

The 16, 32, 64 gb price hikes are a marketing ploy. But the sales model worked for Apple so now everyone copies. It would cost Apple hardly anything to make all their Devices 64 gb, but then they'd lose millions in revenue by people willing to pay $100's for that storage bump. My recommendation is avoid it. Buy more/bigger SD cards!
2016-12-22
Use props
gburns53
lvl.1
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2016-12-22 14:04
What I really want is for some savvy company to come out with a low cost 'drone optimized' tablet.  Small-ish, decontented (no speakers, no headphones), processing power optimized for visuals/latency, and with most of the money put into the screen brightness.

Well I guess it's not quite a tablet.

A 5.5in 1080p screen integrated with the Phantom 4 Pro + offers 1000 cd/m2 of brightness, more than twice as bright as conventional smart devices. It
makes bright, vivid colors easily visible in direct sunlight. As the DJI GO 4 app is built into the screen, a mobile device is not required, simplifying pre-
flight preparations. Integration of an HDMI port, Micro SD card slot, microphone, embedded loudspeaker, and Wi-Fi connection allow images to be
edited inside DJI GO 4 to be shared almost instantly. Its five-hour battery life makes the Phantom 4 Pro + a complete aerial imaging solution.
2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

gburns53 Posted at 2016-12-22 13:58
Yes.

As far as storage. There's lots aways around it. Leave the files on the SD card. You don't have to download the files to your mini. If you want them on your Mini, you could sync those files to the Cloud, delete, and stream when desired. Or move the SD disk files straight to a computer or hard drive.

Could not agree more on the GB price hikes.  I tend to go around 64GB (depending on the tablet and usage) and work around the storage issue.
2016-12-22
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
United States

GZP Posted at 2016-12-22 13:34
DJI could produce this accessory themselves

DJI already did that with crystalsky.  They just need to get on with it and release it.  That's also another reason I'm holding off on buying my only tablet instead of using my kids mini 2. I'm hoping I can decide between the crystalsky 7.85" display and whatever Apple introduces in March.
2016-12-22
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

I could also wait a bit, but my old Samsung tablet is quite big. Don't know how to fit it with RC (without extra costs for additional equipment).

stealle how do you know about March? What is planned there?
2016-12-22
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
United States

GZP Posted at 2016-12-22 16:14
I could also wait a bit, but my old Samsung tablet is quite big. Don't know how to fit it with RC (without extra costs for additional equipment).

stealle how do you know about March? What is planned there?

I'm only hoping crystalsky is released by then but who knows... DJI doesn't know how to communicate or make deadlines.  As for the ipad mini 5 (or some think it might be called "mini pro"), the current ipad mini 4 is 13 months old. It's overdue for a new release.  The next Apple "event/announcement" is scheduled for March. It is currently only a rumor, but the next gen mini should be announced and released in March. I'd be surprised if it's not released in March; it'll be well overdue by then.
2016-12-22
Use props
fans85059244
lvl.1
United States

Ipad with 16 GB is ok for just flying the drone. DATA plan with Ipad will allow you to have internet access (where available) while flying (similar to Iphone). I believe the sim card is build in the Ipad.  Hope it helps.
2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules