Feedback wanted - TheDroneChart.com (Drone comparison chart)
1110 8 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans81335a67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13245 ft
United Kingdom

We've started building a comparison chart for Quadcopters and would appreciate feedback! Only just started but I'd ask for feedback to make sure it's going in a good direction.

https://www.thedronechart.com/

The goal is to be a really simple chart of popular drones and specs that can be sorted/filtered/linked to to help you quickly see which drones might suit your needs. It won't include reviews or other subjective content, just facts/specs/etc. (and no prices, because they fluctuate too much). In the future it might do drone vs drone comparisons but for now it's going to just be a filterable/sortable table.

All filters persist in the URL so you can easily share links, eg for drones with GPS and gimbals, the link looks like this:

https://www.thedronechart.com/#t-gimbal=on&t-gps=on

You can also click the Share icon next to a drone to highlight it and move it to the top - this also goes into the URL so you can send someone a filtered list with a highlighted recommendation. Eg., a GPS-equipped list with the Mavic Pro highlighted is like this:

https://www.thedronechart.com/#t-gps=on&dr=dji-mavic-pro

All of this is generated (sadly not in realtime) from a public Google Doc (there's a button at the bottom of the page):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... xE/edit?usp=sharing

Although editing the doc is restricted to us, anyone can add comments. This means the community can help fill in the blanks or correct things with comments, and we will frequently review the comments and update the real data.

All feedback is very much welcome! What things you think should filterable? What columns are missing? What columns are useless fluff? Should we exclude really cheap toys? Flags are intended to show where the drones are available to purchase (we're only adding US/UK for now) but if it turns out 99% are available in both, we might just ditch them (there's a filter to go with it, but it's hidden while the data isn't fully populated).

We'll continue working through populating more data over the coming days; apparently there are a lot of quadcopters out there! ;)

Note! The site does include affiliate links/banners (but fairly minimal, we detest ad-heavy pages as much as the next guy). I'd really love to upgrade my Syma X5HC to a Phantom 3 Standard so I hope this might help towards that in addition to being a useful tool for others. I know affiliate links are not allowed in the forum, but I presume that linking to a site with affiliate links is ok (since most links being posted here tend to go to pages/videos with them).

2016-12-22
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Belgium

Nice work, i like it.
2016-12-22
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Seems surprisingly hard to find all the specs like this together in one page; comparing normally means lots of clicking between windows. It's going to take a while to populate (I've moved the "SUGGEST EDITS/ADDITIONS" button to the top which will hopefully make it more obvious others can contribute) but it's coming along.
2016-12-22
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

OK...gotta ask...what is flips?  Like barrel rolls or something?
2016-12-22
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2016-12-22 16:40
OK...gotta ask...what is flips?  Like barrel rolls or something?

Yeah, we should probably add a tooltip (or even ditch it)... The cheaper toys (eg. Symas) have a button to do a flip (press button, then push stick in direction). I think Syma call it "360 eversion". It's fun on a Syma, but can't imagine it working very well on something heavy like a DJI!
2016-12-22
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

DanTup Posted at 2016-12-23 00:43
Yeah, we should probably add a tooltip (or even ditch it)... The cheaper toys (eg. Symas) have a button to do a flip (press button, then push stick in direction). I think Syma call it "360 eversion". It's fun on a Syma, but can't imagine it working very well on something heavy like a DJI!

Wow and I was just kidding.  Pretty cool!
2016-12-22
Use props
fans69daf674
lvl.2

Canada

My first post here.  Just wanted to say, great work.  Lots of good info.  Thanks.
2016-12-22
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans69daf674 Posted at 2016-12-22 19:52
My first post here.  Just wanted to say, great work.  Lots of good info.  Thanks.

Thanks, glad you like it!
2016-12-22
Use props
DanTup
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Since many asked, the chart now has an approx price column (and filter).
2016-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules