Inspire 1 tablet mount
1881 10 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I fitted the Inspire tablet mount to my P3S transmitter today. I must say it not only looks better, it is a retro fit that DJI should be putting out as a standard piece of equipment. There are loads of videos out on YouTube showing how to fit them so it really was a 10 minute job. For us Europeans that have forgotten what some imperial size drill bit sizes actually are; I drilled the hole 5mm then tapped it with a 6x1mm thread, that is plenty to hold the knerled stem I did add a dollop of hot glue to reinforce it and rehold the cables back in place.
Bought from RCGeeks, next day delivery.

IMG_20161222_125216.jpg
IMG_20161222_125156.jpg
2016-12-22
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Good job, your right, it should be standard on all the DJI remotes.
2016-12-22
Use props
fansb7653542
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-22 22:36

At the very least they should have a threaded insert in transmitter making it an easy install for those who want to add the mount.
2016-12-22
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-22 09:36

There is a very good reason they (DJI) doesn't have this and other features you'll find on other Phantom models. They dumb down the lower level model intentionally, otherwise people won't pay the higher cost of the other models (P3A/P3P). You can find the very same by many companies when they have a few different models in production that have the same function.
2016-12-23
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There would be very little cost for DJI to mold the top case with a 6mm threaded hole and fit a bung during manufacturing. This would then give the user the option to fit the tablet mount if they wanted to.
2016-12-23
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-23 09:39
There is a very good reason they (DJI) doesn't have this and other features you'll find on other Phantom models. They dumb down the lower level model intentionally, otherwise people won't pay the higher cost of the other models (P3A/P3P). You can find the very same by many companies when they have a few different models in production that have the same function.

They didn't dumb down the lower level as you say. They improved on the lower level. People don't base their purchase on the type of mount on the remote at all. It's all about the functions of the drone, how many options it has, the camera type, what the purchaser wants, etc.
Actually it would be cost beneficial to DJI to produce all the remotes with this set up. They wouldn't need to change molds, stopping production. They wouldn't have to produce the different parts they do for the mount they have on the P3S now. Win Win for everyone.
2016-12-23
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-23 12:35
They didn't dumb down the lower level as you say. They improved on the lower level. People don't base their purchase on the type of mount on the remote at all. It's all about the functions of the drone, how many options it has, the camera type, what the purchaser wants, etc.
Actually it would be cost beneficial to DJI to produce all the remotes with this set up. They wouldn't need to change molds, stopping production. They wouldn't have to produce the different parts they do for the mount they have on the P3S now. Win Win for everyone.

Not so, the remotes are completely different with the Standard, different production lines I'm sure. It's all the things you mentioned and than some. Lower grade camera, shorter range because of an old technology being used, wifi vs light-bridge. Not having a RTH button on the RC, not having those extra programmable buttons on the RC and lastly having to use a cell phone and instead of a tablet, because of the mount. It's all about the accumulative effect of the buy's perceived value. I bet there's hundreds of buyers that made their choice solely because of not wanting to use a small cell phone to view and control the drone. People that mod their equipment are in the minority (me being one) most are RTF folks, and the bean counters know that.

Before the DBS and amps.

Before the DBS and amps.
2016-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Good job. It looks OEM. If I didn't know better, I would have thought you bought it that way. Very nice.

I agree, it should have been built with the option available. There by removing the off chance that you screw it up, and be left with a disfunctional RC device holder.

Thanks for sharing your handy work. Good stuff. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-23
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

"having to use a cell phone and instead of a tablet, because of the mount". I think the perception about this topic is that most users don't see another option because of what DJI have supplied with the transmitter, which even to a total novice must seem like a joke. Making another option open and available still puts a bit more money into the DJI coffers.
2016-12-23
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2016-12-23 14:25
"having to use a cell phone and instead of a tablet, because of the mount". I think the perception about this topic is that most users don't see another option because of what DJI have supplied with the transmitter, which even to a total novice must seem like a joke. Making another option open and available still puts a bit more money into the DJI coffers.

Agree on that, about it being a joke. When first seeing that weak plastic mount I couldn't believe they would put something like that on a $500. drone system. Mine broke in about two months. Then ordered the metal version of the same, it was 200% stronger. That was a waste because a short time later I bought this tablet mount, don't know why I didn't just go right to the Inspire mount.
2016-12-23
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I also tried another option before the Inspire mount, that was a waste of money as my tablet never fitted it properly and it looked like a dogs dinner. The Inspire mount was the best alternative and had it cost even £10 more than I paid for it I would still have got it. Seeing it fitted now and how well made it is just reinforces my belief that DJI should investigate making it a retro option to the P3S transmitter. Failing that I will fit one to anyone's Tx for a small retainer
2016-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules