SD Card Format-madness
1297 15 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luke007
lvl.2
Switzerland

so inspired by another thread i was checking the filesize of my vids. first i tried with the sd card that comes with p4p. it was in FAT32 format. inserted and recorded video. of course, due to the FAT32 filesize restriction the files were all slightly under 4gb.

so far so good. reformatted the card to exFAT. inserted card and got a message in go4 to reformat the card. ignored and recorded. filesizes again slightly under 4gb. reformatted the card with go4, warning dissapears and it shows remaining rec time.

so far so good. inserted my 64gb exFAT card. no warning. showing rremaining time as its supposed to. filesize again slightly under 4gb.

so im wondering why with one card i get a format warning and with the other not, eventhough they both are exFAT?

furthermore, the p4p seems to be perfectly able to handle exfat-format, so why is the filesize limited to 4 gb?

anybody has any ideas?

p.s. a friend claims that with the old go app and his p4 he had files way larger than 4gb. is that possible?

2016-12-22
Use props
luke007
lvl.2
Switzerland

so i rechecked the sprecs:

Supported File Systems        FAT32 (≤ 32 GB); exFAT (> 32 GB)

so again why is the filesize limited to 4gb on a exfat-formatted card?
2016-12-22
Use props
plexus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79833 ft
France

I get the same issue with my 16Go. The recorded video is splitted each 3,99 G0 to another file 3,99Go and so on....My bird is P4pro+.
It is not possible to extend the capacity with format in exfat.
DJI please could you explain ?
Many thanks.
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The answer is simple, the camera splits the files into 4GB files, no matter what format scheme you use, and you cannot change it, nor will DJI do anything about it. And it is by no means uncommon, many cameras also split the file into 4GB chunks.

And the reason you get the request to format the card from GO is because it wants it formatted correctly for the camera. Formatting an SD card in a computer is a waste of your time. It does not set up the correct scheme of files and folders or the hidden files required by the aircraft. Always do the format in the aircraft ,as it knows how to do it.
2016-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ah, this is an interesting read.
http://www.tested.com/tech/photo ... eo-recording-limit/

Likely similarly for our drones.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-22
Use props
luke007
lvl.2
Switzerland

thx a lot for explaining this. and yes, its a very interesting read.
2016-12-22
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-23 02:24
Ah, this is an interesting read.
http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

Oh yeah nice read indeed and what did we learn again today?

Yes, the EU is limiting things, nothing new to see here *cough* Antenna EIRP output CE *cough*
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Stoking the conspiracy theory machine.....
2016-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rules are certainly made to be broken, but you can't fight DJI hoping to win.
Be conscious of your timer in the video recording, stop and restart. Rinse and repeat. ;-)

It is what it is, so you can only find a happy medium.  You know the video recording time limit, learn to work with it.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-22
Use props
luke007
lvl.2
Switzerland

yes, not much choice there :-)
2016-12-22
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Belgium

Thanks RHP for post #5, interesting read. Something new learned today.
2016-12-23
Use props
plexus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79833 ft
France

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. Now it is clear to me.
Happy christmas
2016-12-23
Use props
BFS
New
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-23 10:21
The answer is simple, the camera splits the files into 4GB files, no matter what format scheme you use, and you cannot change it, nor will DJI do anything about it. And it is by no means uncommon, many cameras also split the file into 4GB chunks.

And the reason you get the request to format the card from GO is because it wants it formatted correctly for the camera. Formatting an SD card in a computer is a waste of your time. It does not set up the correct scheme of files and folders or the hidden files required by the aircraft. Always do the format in the aircraft ,as it knows how to do it.

Thanks for this tip. I just bought a Lexar Professional (UHS-II class 10 U3 1000x 64GB card) but i keep getting an "unknown SD Card error" in red.. i.e. it will not read the card so i can't format it from the drone..

Do you know what action i should take?

After i did some reading/research about the specs of this card most posts indicated the specs are suitable.
2016-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

BFS Posted at 2016-12-24 17:35
Thanks for this tip. I just bought a Lexar Professional (UHS-II class 10 U3 1000x 64GB card) but i keep getting an "unknown SD Card error" in red.. i.e. it will not read the card so i can't format it from the drone..

Do you know what action i should take?

Yes, the specs seem OK, but recent reports here show that they are failing when people try to use them in an aircraft. Best to get a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro series card, they are consistently good.
2016-12-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

FuZZyPiLOT Posted at 2016-12-23 01:21
Thanks RHP for post #5, interesting read. Something new learned today.

Oh yeah., while there will always be limitations, we can learn to work with them.
Ah, or around them, but never through them. ;-)

It's not what you want to hear, but how you hear it and deal with them facts.

I dislike having a 9 minute limit, but knowing about it, makes my life easier, to just pay attention to the timer,
and close the recording, before it runs out. Or it will split the video, for you.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-24
Use props
BFS
New
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-24 18:48
Yes, the specs seem OK, but recent reports here show that they are failing when people try to use them in an aircraft. Best to get a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro series card, they are consistently good.

Thanks Mate!
2016-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules