The thing no DJI drone can do
4240 47 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Bruno REDON Posted at 2017-1-15 13:04
So autopilot seems to do the job very well. I hope for an android version soon . Follow-me problems are definitely not an aircraft issue but due to bad work on Dji Go and Litchi

Yep... I need to see if I can get the speed higher, maybe by disabling obstacle avoidance in the DJI Go app first (no option within Autopilot). DJI had told me Follow should work at the regular aircraft speed, 20 mph with obstacle avoidance and 30 mph without. Of course it's not true, but maybe it is for Autopilot.

I'm surprised it doesn't get more publicity, the app has 20 reviews which probably doesn't correspond to many users. I bet the developer would have better luck on Android, but maybe they don't see the incentive. I saw an "Ultimate Flight" 3rd party app on Android, but it doesn't list the Mavic as supported yet.
2017-1-15
Use props
gnom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 716572 ft
United States

Active track is awesome, look what it is able to do. Not rearly near by.
https://www.multcloud.com/share/ ... 9-9c85-adfff0a63533
2017-1-16
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Well, solution would be easy (somehow).  DJI could build a strong tracking-transmitter which could be put into one´s pocket instead of linking with the smartphone.  Limit of course will always be fwd-speed. Right now it´s too cold here in Austria for some bike-testing, but as soon temps get reasonable I will check with my GS1200LC.

2017-1-16
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Wow, some people have had much better luck with Active Track than me... I realize the bike is smaller than a car, but the speed and distance in that last video are almost unbelievable from my experience with it.

In any case, even if it works for a car going in a straight line in an open field, that's still not going to work for, say, a 10-minute motorcycle ride at a long follow distance over mountainous terrain... hence I still want a good GPS-based Follow mode, which Autopilot may offer (need more tests).
2017-1-16
Use props
Bruno REDON
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183602 ft
France

I'm very happy with active track,but i still want a good follow me by GPS. Active track can easyly loose his target . I want to be follow even if i go in forest , below the trees . Or if i pass under a bridge or behind a wall.
2017-2-2
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

For the others who care, I made another couple runs with Autoflight Autopilot. It is the best option... sadly. It actually does a decent job tracking and following when you're in motion at any distance. With obstacle avoidance turned off in DJI Go, it would reach 34 mph. But:

1. The app crashes.

and

2. It doesn't handle stopping/changes in velocity properly. It overshoots, then goes in the other direction and overshoots again, oscillating around where it should be. Not great programming- but somehow still much better than DJI Go or Litchi. I suspect there may also be issues taking sharp curves, which I haven't really tried yet.

Nothing compares to the Solo, but since the Mavic is so much easier to carry I still might end up trying it the next time I make one of these trips. Just scared of what the footage will look like, and if the Mavic will overshoot and fly into a mountain. Gonna see if I can give the developer feedback and maybe they can improve Autopilot.
2017-2-4
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

All right here's my conclusion after all this, if you want a good Follow mode with the Mavic or presumably other DJI drones, the answer is:

1. Get a newer model iPhone (6 or 7).
2. Buy Autoflight's Autopilot
3. Figure out how to use it
4. Turn off Obstacle Avoidance in DJI Go (if you want a max speed 30 mph +)
5. Lower "Responsiveness" in Autopilot from 5 sec to ~1 sec (or it will take too long to change direction and overshoot repeatedly)

Disclaimer: Once again by "good" I mean: Follow at 30+ mph, reliable over long trips, accurate tracking, follow at a significant distance, and knowing where the drone will be positioned relative to you)

Thanks Bruno REDON for suggesting Autopilot. I do wish they had an Android version though.

Here's an example, though obviously not that exciting:

2017-2-16
Use props
DesertDave
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

I found the Active Track was just the answer to our desert runs. No power lines, no cell towers, just desert.  One thing to note, you can go for miles IF you turn off the maximum distance parameter. I quickly found out it goes the max distance and stops if you have it on.
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules