2274 14 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sawrad_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1790633 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I purchased a Phantom 4 with one extra battery on 2016-05-31 from the DJI online store. A few weeks ago i discovered that one of the batteries developed a crack above the green leds. I read about this issue happening to other Phantom 4 users on this forum so i sent an email to support.eu@dji.com asking them what are they suggesting me to do. Is the crack not dangerous or should i send back the battery for repairing or replacement? Their answer was a bit confusing because they said „the scratch” (it IS a crack) does not look that bad and using the battery should be fine BUT they would replace it if i really wanted to. Now i don't know what to do. Sending the battery to Germany (i'm from Romania) and getting it back is going to take a while and i'm not sure if my problem is indeed that bad. Will the crack increase in size and cause the spring to burst through the plastic leading to a crash? I have about a month of warranty left for the battery. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
File 22-12-2016, 01 01 53.jpeg
2016-12-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems to be a not uncommon problem

http://forum.dji.com/thread-61024-1-1.html

If still in warranty probably best to get it replaced.
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about the small crack, if you concern much about it, the best course of action is to send it in since it's still under the warranty, we'll take care of your case.
2016-12-22
Use props
Ivan Garcia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3219157 ft
  • >>>
Mexico

I have the same issue, and the worst part of this, its gonna grow. Starts with a simple little crack and grow above time. http://ivangarcia.d.pr/stA+
2016-12-23
Use props
sawrad_
lvl.3
  • >>>
Romania

Ivan Garcia Posted at 2016-12-23 11:57
I have the same issue, and the worst part of this, its gonna grow. Starts with a simple little crack and grow above time. http://ivangarcia.d.pr/stA+

That's terrible
2016-12-23
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

I recall a thread on here explaining why this happens as someone took there battery apart and behind there is a spring that when lock battery into the drone and it clicks this in turn wacks the inside of the battery and this causes the crack, IF you depress the spring loaded buttons on the battery while inserting it YOU will not see this happening.
2016-12-23
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

EDIT here is the thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-49941-1-1.html
2016-12-23
Use props
sawrad_
lvl.3
  • >>>
Romania

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-12-23 16:04
I recall a thread on here explaining why this happens as someone took there battery apart and behind there is a spring that when lock battery into the drone and it clicks this in turn wacks the inside of the battery and this causes the crack, IF you depress the spring loaded buttons on the battery while inserting it YOU will not see this happening.

Thank you! I read that thread but i missed the post which explains what action causes the cracks.
2016-12-23
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-12-24 03:04

I'd have to disagree with that, I have always pressed the buttons when inserting the battery and mine has developed a crack.
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

As others have mentioned, the best course of action would be to get the battery replaced as soon as possible while you still have the warranty available.
2016-12-23
Use props
Junito777
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8908704 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the exact same issue and I contacted DJI they told me to send pictures and proof of purchase, they open a case, after 2 weeks without any updates I decided to call, my claim was denied cause bateries only have 6 months of warranty, I even talked to a manager and he couldnt do anything for me, so good luck
2016-12-23
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-24 02:01
As others have mentioned, the best course of action would be to get the battery replaced as soon as possible while you still have the warranty available.

DJI JAMIE, it's clearly a design floor, the amount of pressure exerted in one continuous spot over time weakens the same part thus ending in almost always an identical fracture, this as a design floor should come under a extended warranty,  (manufacturing fault)  IF THEY made the end of the spring point much larger the surface area pressures would be considerably less, as less presure is being applied,  resulting in less fracture points.

Were the ones that seem to be testing dji products and find the faults then dji come out a with a new and improved model resulting from our findings, rather than fixing the issue, create a new product instead seems the way to go here.

So anyone who wants this issue fixing is to wait for the p5 to be out and I bet my house on it the battery has changed or adaptations have taken place to address this issue, rather than accepting a design floor and offering an extending warranty, poor by any standards.
2016-12-24
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Odds are that crack will not create an issue. That crack is small enough and the piece of plastic it's on is just a battery cover. Now if it grows and pieces fall off then you have an issue.
2016-12-25
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-12-26 12:23
Odds are that crack will not create an issue. That crack is small enough and the piece of plastic it's on is just a battery cover. Now if it grows and pieces fall off then you have an issue.

So I take it  by that comment you'd be happy to buy a brand new car and have it develop a crack in the paintwork for no apparent reason??
2016-12-25
Use props
henchMedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1513330 ft
United States

Junito777 Posted at 2016-12-23 23:06
I had the exact same issue and I contacted DJI they told me to send pictures and proof of purchase, they open a case, after 2 weeks without any updates I decided to call, my claim was denied cause bateries only have 6 months of warranty, I even talked to a manager and he couldnt do anything for me, so good luck

Same thing happened to me. They could not even recommend any alternatives. I guess I will try super glue and gaffer tape and hope for the best. Very Frustrating. I think I will write a letter to the BBB.
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules