Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P sounds like an electric shaver?
2590 26 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Todka
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452267 ft
Australia

New P4p has arrived. Switched her in and currently updating firmware.
From the moment it's on, it has a highish pitched sound a lot like an electric shaver.
Is this normal?I have a P3P and Iit sounds nothing like this.

Thanks in advance.
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Post a video with sound.
2016-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Then You got the razor edition. Haha
They always said it would be a real Buzz... ;-)

Yes, please post a short video with clear audio.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-22
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

Weird. The audio is fine on my phone but very faint on my youtube upload.

2016-12-22
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

The whirring noise is the thing I'm asking about. The beat sound is interference from the phantom to my phone.
2016-12-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yeah, mine is like that too. I assume it's the fan inside.

I actually got used to it, but then I was surprised when I fired up my P4 yesterday - it's sooooo quiet. Very different in comparison...
2016-12-22
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

Sounds more like a vacuum gyroscope I'm used to hearing flying light aircraft.
Well if it's "normal", then I will do as they do in England, and just "relax and carry on".
2016-12-22
Use props
rparge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

I have the same sound have found if you move it around slightly, it will change tone and a lot of times it will go away.
2016-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If I had to guess, it's your Gimbal fan, & nothing to be concerned about. ;-)

Enjoy the drone, and your time well spent on the forum...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-22
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks all. I'm going away in a few hours and such fast feedback was awesome.
Merry Christmas!
2016-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Todka Posted at 2016-12-22 18:17
Thanks all. I'm going away in a few hours and such fast feedback was awesome.
Merry Christmas!

Seasons Greetings to you as well, friend. ;-)

Have a great holiday weekend, bring your drone, for the ride. Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-12-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Todka Posted at 2016-12-22 16:55
Sounds more like a vacuum gyroscope I'm used to hearing flying light aircraft.
Well if it's "normal", then I will do as they do in England, and just "relax and carry on".

Mine doesn't BUZZ like yours though.  Just the loud whirring of the fan.  I think your fan is just vibrating more against the body than the rest of ours.
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-23 13:37
Mine doesn't BUZZ like yours though.  Just the loud whirring of the fan.  I think your fan is just vibrating more against the body than the rest of ours.

The buzz you are hearing is the ultrasonic ranging system underneath the aircraft. You can't hear it with your own ears, but the microphone in the phone can.
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It sounds normal, please do not worry about it, enjoy your aircraft.
Merry Christmas!
2016-12-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-22 18:46
The buzz you are hearing is the ultrasonic ranging system underneath the aircraft. You can't hear it with your own ears, but the microphone in the phone can.

Ah, I see.

I've flown in cold weather & noticed the fan isn't running upon start-up & landing.  Then it'll kick on if I don't turn off the P4P immediately.  So you can certainly tell when it is on!  
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-23 14:47
Ah, I see.

I've flown in cold weather & noticed the fan isn't running upon start-up & landing.  Then it'll kick on if I don't turn off the P4P immediately.  So you can certainly tell when it is on!

Yes, the fan cools the electronics, in fact I believe it is the video processing section, and it gets hot very quickly when not in the air.
2016-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-22 22:26
Yes, the fan cools the electronics, in fact I believe it is the video processing section, and it gets hot very quickly when not in the air.

That's very cool. If I fly outside, my fan won't engage, until around March 2017. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-22
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

Oooh. Maybe it's just my browser but one of my flying YouTube videos comes up next after the Phantom noise clip. Apart from being awesome all on its own, there is a gyro instrument sound at the end that was what I was referring to.  :-)

And thanks Natalia for confirming all is good.  Cheers.
2016-12-22
Use props
sshorty
lvl.2

Australia

Mine has a very similar sound, (high pitched sound) I find if I move put my hand over the battery (at the back) it seems to go away, but as soon as I let the battery go, it comes back..I noticed it when I very first started it up..it has flown perfect every time I have used it. I think it is pretty normal..
2016-12-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

How do you like how the gimbal SCREAMS when you do the Advanced VPS Calibration?  It sure makes you hurry!
2016-12-23
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

Todka Posted at 2016-12-23 00:42
Weird. The audio is fine on my phone but very faint on my youtube upload.
https://youtu.be/-uH4MhMzDR8

Not ideal starting the aircraft on a glass table. The Camera's having difficulty doing its start-up calibration as  also the ultra sonic ranging system underneath the aircraft is being confused. Probably not the best test surface for evaluating noise. Just my 2 cents worth.
2016-12-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Todka Posted at 2016-12-22 22:26
Oooh. Maybe it's just my browser but one of my flying YouTube videos comes up next after the Phantom noise clip. Apart from being awesome all on its own, there is a gyro instrument sound at the end that was what I was referring to.  :-)

And thanks Natalia for confirming all is good.  Cheers.

What happened with your gimbal sound? Did you return or did the noise go away? I'm experiencing the same thing .
2017-1-16
Use props
SHIPARCH
lvl.1
United States

Didn't the regular Phantom 4 have the same loud fan noise after launch and wasn't that fixed with a firmware update?
2017-1-16
Use props
Alex Tse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4486240 ft
United Kingdom

I used to have this noise, but i solved it now, it is the fan causing vibration to the case, and somehow this vibration met the resonance of the case. so it is actually the case was vibrating and releasing that noise. What i suggest you to do is to loosen the screw of the case and re tighten it. This is how i fixed it. btw this noise shouldn't cause any problem while flying.
2017-1-16
Use props
usere1c0332ac8
lvl.2

United States

Mine does the same thing flys great though!!
2017-1-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Alex Tse Posted at 2017-1-16 12:31
I used to have this noise, but i solved it now, it is the fan causing vibration to the case, and somehow this vibration met the resonance of the case. so it is actually the case was vibrating and releasing that noise. What i suggest you to do is to loosen the screw of the case and re tighten it. This is how i fixed it. btw this noise shouldn't cause any problem while flying.

Hey Alex, brilliantly simple solution. It may not work in all cases, but easy to try nevertheless.

Check out this break-down (of the P4 - the P4P appears similar in other photos) and note that one corner of the fan isn't secured and may rattle against the shell with the P4P as I understand it's a different fan (a miniscule  piece of foam pushed under that corner would resolve if it is):
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog/p ... ardown-whats-inside

I suspect that loosening the closest screw and re-tightening may allow the shell to settle better. Otherwise, for warranty reasons, I'd suggest only this and not pulling the P4P apart as per the break-down above. It's at your risk if you do, of course.

Otherwise, the fan in my P4P doesn't vibrate against the inner shell but it is quite loud. I didn't realise how loud it was until I pulled my P4 back out. OMG! It's almost silent in comparison!
2017-1-16
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Australia

No update for me. I've ignored the fan noise on mine and, apart form the cycling gimball problem, it works fine.
The cycling gimball seems to be fixed with bending the ribbon at the back away slightly as it contacts the camera as it moves.
I'm reluctant to open up a working aircraft. Think I'll just lave it alone.
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules