Too dark for ND filter?
1464 7 2015-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

Hi guys, I have a question which I expect will sound fairly stupid to anyone with photography experience.

I was flying my I1 around sunset and towards the end of my sortie I started to get lines through parts of my image. I was using the ND filter and everything was fine initially and then once the problem started occurring it was consistent. Played around with the white balance and it didnt appear to have any effect. Is this simply because it had become too dark to use the ND filter?

2015-2-13
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

The top left corner of the picture is the issue I'm talking about

Top Left Corner

Top Left Corner
2015-2-13
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is the overexposure warning in the app. the camera has adjusted for the darker parts of the scene but this area of sky has remained bright and would therefore have been overexposed.
2015-2-13
Use props
joeevaristo
lvl.1

United States

In the video world, we call that "zebra." It's just a visual warning to you that an area might be too bright (darken your iris to fix it), but it won't show up in your recorded image. It can take a while (experience) to figure out when you need to pay attention to it and when it can be disregarded. In a case like this, I might ignore it--it's ok for such a small piece of the sky to be extra bright in this kind of shot.
2015-2-13
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

Cheers for clearing that up guys. Much appreciated. Would this kind of overexposure likely cause damage to any of the cameras internals though?
2015-2-13
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

As others have already posted, you have your overexposure warning indicator turned on. In the film industry these are called zebras to indicate highlight clipping or areas that are overexposed. If you toggle your histogram on you can monitor highlight/shadow clipping as well. Sometimes you will need to spike highlights to properly compensate for dark shadows in a scene that's both bright and dark. This is why most inspire users seem more comfortable with the "auto" settings unless you have a photo/film background.

I'd use an ND filter only when the sun is extremely bright. Otherwise its forcing your camera to push its ISO up thus increasing noise and degrading your image.
2015-2-13
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

Awesome. Well obviously I've got a lot to learn and play around with. I'm sure you will have to tolerate a considerable amount of these questions from me in the near future. Thanks heaps
2015-2-13
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

K Stevo Posted at 2015-2-13 23:37
Awesome. Well obviously I've got a lot to learn and play around with. I'm sure you will have to tole ...

I like to help where I can, Unlike a lot of people on these boards who don't reply to questions but rather just creep posts. Ask away!
2015-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules