Difference between Gimbal Follow Mode and FPV Mode?
110223 9 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sakumar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 239134 ft
  • >>>
United States

My understanding was as follows:

Follow Mode: The gimbal compensates for aircraft Tilt and Pitch to keep video image steady and the horizon horizontal. Good for taking video.
FPV Mode: Camera is locked to Aircraft orientation so video image will tilt when the aircraft rolls. Better for FPV.

However, regardless of the setting my P4P+ seems to be operating in Follow Mode. So I set FPV mode, and when I tilt the copter, I can see the camera moving in the opposite direction to compensate. I thought for FPV mode the camera is supposed to be locked to the Aircraft's orientation?
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello sakumar,
1) Follow Mode: The angle between the gimbal’s orientation and aircraft’s nose remains constant at all times.
2) FPV Mode: The gimbal will synchronize with the movement of the aircraft to provide a first-person perspective flying experience.
The difference between Follow Mode and FPV Mode is that the image transmission screen will tilt when the left sticks are pushed to the left or right in FPV Mode while the image transmission screen will not in Follow Mode.
2016-12-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha sakumar, To get a good FPV effect, you also have to make setting adjustments that allow for smooth vertical rotations.  This is not easy and sometimes requires fast speeds.  Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-27
Use props
sakumar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 239134 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-27 15:25
Hello sakumar,
1) Follow Mode: The angle between the gimbal’s orientation and aircraft’s nose remains constant at all times.
2) FPV Mode: The gimbal will synchronize with the movement of the aircraft to provide a first-person perspective flying experience.

Hello Mindy,

[1] I believe it is the other way around. For FPV mode, the camera/gimbal is [supposed to be] locked to the Aircraft's orientation. For Follow Mode, it compensates for the aircraft Roll and Pitch by adjusting the camera orientation to keep the horizon horizontal.

[2] In any case, I find that for my Phantom Pro+ regardless of whether I have set Follow Mode or FPV mode, I see no difference. Both mode settings behave as if Follow Mode has been set. When I hold the Phantom and roll it from side to side, the video image remains horizontal. This happens regardless of what Mode I have set.
2016-12-28
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-27 08:25
Hello sakumar,

The "Follow Mode" explanation is wrong, as it is a simple copy and paste from the manual, that itself copies the original "Inspire 1" manual section of "Follow Mode".
There simply is by design no "angle between the gimbal’s orientation and aircraft’s nose" in Phantoms.
Also the "FPV Mode" explanation is a copy and paste from the "Inspire" manual.

This is just one of the several questionable operation hand book text flaws, that seem to remain unchanged or even grow in number through generations of products...

I would explain it this way:
1) "Follow Mode": the gimbal compensates all pitch and roll movements of the drone to keep the view angles vertically and horizontally stable. The yaw movements of the drone are eased by the gimbal's yaw axis, which results in a softened pan. (More ease in and out for yaw panning can be achived by activating "Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow" in the app's gimbal settings menu.)
2) "FPV Mode": the gimbal compensates the pitch movements of the drone (steady vertical view angle). Roll (horizontal view) and yaw (panning) movements are followed and eased by the gimbal. This is to provide a smooth first person view (FPV experience) while eliminating "earth only views" during acceleration and in flight or "sky only views" during deceleration.
2016-12-28
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

sakumar Posted at 2016-12-28 21:29
Hello Mindy,

[1] I believe it is the other way around. For FPV mode, the camera/gimbal is [supposed to be] locked to the Aircraft's orientation. For Follow Mode, it compensates for the aircraft Roll and Pitch by adjusting the camera orientation to keep the horizon horizontal.

Try to use gimbal FPV mode while really flying. IIRC FPV mode might not work when holding the drone in the hand only simulating the rolls...
If there is no difference between the two modes while actually flying some maneuvers, there could be indeed a software/hardware flaw.
2016-12-28
Use props
ROTORWING
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110912 ft
United States

Well at first, I was going to say that I too (with P4P) don't see a difference between FPV and "follow" modes.  Here is what I discovered, in real flight.  Yesterday test flights with selections of the two modes.....with and without the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" enabled (camera icon > gimbal settings > advance settings) netted me no difference in "FPV" or "Follow" modes.  So I gave up and moved on to see if I could tweak for smoother yaw/pan for those cinematic smooth shots.  Aircraft icon > advance settings > Gain & Expo Tuning.  Turned them all down.  EXP > "Rudder" 0.10, Sensitivity > lowered all three to minimum, 20/70/30 and Gain all to minimum 80/80/80.   Shut everything down....packed it up....time for dinner (:  Today....made no changes....no firmware updates.  Flew the the same place....backyard.  Different story!  FPV and Follow mode as I would expect....sort-of.  FPV mode, camera "rolls" with the drone so horizon banks left and right, but NOT with pitch.  Horizon remains "centered".  Doesn't matter if "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" is enabled, or not.  What the hell (:  Obviously, as expected, in "Follow" mode, gimbal does.....what a gimbal is suppose to do.  Here is one very important difference that I found.  With "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow"  enabled, there's a tendency for the camera/gimbal to "lead" yaw inputs which results in a LESS smooth "pan".....sort-of a jerk out of the starting gate.  If the "Enable Synchro......" is DISABLED, you get a much smoother yaw effect.  Remember, I have my "Rudder" Expo set very low at 0.10.  Sort of strange, but those are my findings....almost in real time.  Comments or questions, welcomed.
2020-9-4
Use props
djiuser_zhrBQnmDKwjf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47592 ft
Canada

Hello i own a DJI FPV Combo and for some reason when i am going fast and when i trun i get a gimbal warning of spme sort saying gombal movement reached or something like that and then some times the fpv aircraft will kinda go on it’s side for a couple seconds and then it will continue flying again it seems to only happen when I’m in sport mode does anyone have a solution if so I’m more than happy to hear it I have other drone but not a fpv I really want to get into fpv so please any tips my ears are wide open thanks
2021-4-3
Use props
djiuser_zhrBQnmDKwjf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47592 ft
Canada

Hello i own a DJI FPV Combo and for some reason when i am going fast and when i trun i get a gimbal warning of spme sort saying gombal movement reached or something like that and then some times the fpv aircraft will kinda go on it’s side for a couple seconds and then it will continue flying again it seems to only happen when I’m in sport mode does anyone have a solution if so I’m more than happy to hear it I have other drone but not a fpv I really want to get into fpv so please any tips my ears are wide open thanks
2021-4-3
Use props
djiuser_2STeHrwa2IPW
lvl.1
United States

I have one of my custom buttons set to switch from follow and fpv, is there any indicators on the main screen in flight that tells you witch one you are in? Playing around with setting trying to familiarize my self.
2021-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules