Qs re: S1000, S1000+ and A3
3941 14 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Draco95
lvl.1

Australia

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum but I've been flying drones since 2014, even got a CASA controller certificate in September 2015.  I have a DJI S1000 with A2 and Futaba 14SG.   
I want to upgrade to the A3 Pro system, but I'm worried about a few things; obviously I'll do my own research on the following questions, but I want to put this out there for anyone with ideas or suggestions to comment on…

So, my first question is: are the centre frame boards of the S1000 (parts 47 and 48) interchangeable with the S1000+?  I really like the idea of the removable section in the top board, but don't like the idea of buying a whole new drone.  Can I replace the S1000 centre frame top and bottom boards with S1000+ top and bottom boards without major issues?

I read through the A3 manual and it doesn't look like it has an inbuilt receiver like the A2… the A3 uses Lightbridge, DR16 or S-Bus, non of which I have used previously (yeah, I know – laziness uses the inbuilt A2 receiver)  What's the best way - that keeps as many ports functional as possible - to link a Futaba 14SG (with receiver R7008SB) with the A3 Pro?

I think that's all for now, more Qs will come I'm sure.  Any input is welcome.

Fair farren,
Draco

2016-12-23
Use props
Draco95
lvl.1

Australia

Well, seeing as I've been inundated with useful replies, I'll post some of my own findings too.

The S1000 centre frame board part 47 is "not compatible" with the S1000+ according to DJI retailers.  I don't know why, that's just what they say.  The only physical difference I can find between the two boards is a 0.5mm diameter difference.  Whatever.  I can make my own 'S1000+' top board by getting a sheet of 1.5mm carbon fibre, cutting out an 'outer' and 'inner' top frame and replacing the single piece of the S1000.  It's also $200 cheaper.  Don't worry -- I'm keeping the original S1000 top board intact just in case something goes wrong    

As for the A3/Futaba connections, the best way is via SBus and the Futaba's receiver.  Sbus runs all the channels through one wire (don't ask me how) so that leaves 7 physical channels available for other things, like the gimbal and parachute.  
I know the A3 is triple redundant and everything, but if the main battery dies that's not much use; the parachute can be auto-deployed by the A3, but again, if the main battery deads...  So, the parachute has it's own tiny battery for the firing mechanism and if I can power the Futaba's receiver separately to the main power too, then if the main battery dies I can still fire the parachute.

So that's where it stands, still waiting for the A3 Pro to arrive.  

Fair farren,
Draco   
2016-12-31
Use props
Draco95
lvl.1

Australia

So, the A3 has arrived, all sleek in it’s black box with black writing   I have successfully adapted the S1000 top board to replicate the S1000+, and have installed the A3 on the bottom board in the centre of gravity as recommended.  There is insulation between the power distributor and the main controller too.  
So with the centre of the top board removable, I can install the MC, IMUs, PMU and all the wiring neatly and securely, then screw the top board centre back on and it’s all protected.  
I used the R7008SB with SBus connection, mode 2, into the SBus port of the MC.  Note: the ESC cables that go from the connection port under the bottom board, M1-M8,  are too short to reach anywhere but the one of the cooling vanes where the A2 was, let alone the centre of the top board!  So I lengthened them, from 100mm to 2400mm.  I saw in a video once that there are longer ESC cables available, but I can’t find them anywhere.

Now I’m stuck because the Assistant won’t recognise when the A3 is plugged in.  Details are at http://forum.dji.com/thread-80564-1-1.html     
2017-1-15
Use props
Draco95
lvl.1

Australia

After all the problems I've had with the A3, I'm considering going back to the A2.... Le'me re-phrase that - after the learning curve I've had with the A3, I realise I can't access most it's capabilities because I don't have LB2, so I may as well sell the A3 and go back to the A2, which has more functionality as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have an iPad, tablet or highly portable computer, so buying into the whole LB2 setup would be even more expense, and I can't use the DJI GO app.  And I don't need all that stuff.  I don't use waypoints, and if I do the LB2 works with the A2 anyway.  The A3 is not compatible with my FPV camera gimbal setup; the A2 is.  The A3 is only compatible with DR16 and SBus; the A2 is native to them.  I can't find anywhere in the A3 manual about the Dropsafe parachute connection, yet the A2 is easily connected.
Triple redundancy is all very nice, but I don't think that alone is worth the setbacks I'm experiencing.  

Your thoughts?

2017-1-23
Use props
SkySight Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3312018 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Draco95 Posted at 2017-1-23 13:49
After all the problems I've had with the A3, I'm considering going back to the A2.... Le'me re-phrase that - after the learning curve I've had with the A3, I realise I can't access most it's capabilities because I don't have LB2, so I may as well sell the A3 and go back to the A2, which has more functionality as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have an iPad, tablet or highly portable computer, so buying into the whole LB2 setup would be even more expense, and I can't use the DJI GO app.  And I don't need all that stuff.  I don't use waypoints, and if I do the LB2 works with the A2 anyway.  The A3 is not compatible with my FPV camera gimbal setup; the A2 is.  The A3 is only compatible with DR16 and SBus; the A2 is native to them.  I can't find anywhere in the A3 manual about the Dropsafe parachute connection, yet the A2 is easily connected.

If I were you I would stick with the A2. I certainly wish I had!
2017-1-27
Use props
Draco95
lvl.1

Australia

SkySight Aerial Posted at 2017-1-27 06:08
If I were you I would stick with the A2. I certainly wish I had!

I have now returned to the A2 system, it's working perfectly and my drone flies again!  But you've made me curious, SkySight Aerial -- why do you regret changing to the A3?
2017-1-29
Use props
SkySight Aerial
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Draco95 Posted at 2017-1-29 15:18
I have now returned to the A2 system, it's working perfectly and my drone flies again!  But you've made me curious, SkySight Aerial -- why do you regret changing to the A3?

IT has been affected by numerous issues including rapid altitude drops, violent braking, toilet bowling, calibration and firmware issues. But the main issue has been lack of F port function which still a major problem for me and I feel cheated that it has not been dealt with since the launch nearly a year ago.

A2/IOSD/Datalink was a much better option with LB2 but still does not give anything but basic operation of GH4. DJI are forcing us into a situation that if we do not have 100% DJI equipment we are forced to accept compramises.
2017-2-3
Use props
Draco95
lvl.1

Australia

SkySight Aerial Posted at 2017-2-3 11:26
IT has been affected by numerous issues including rapid altitude drops, violent braking, toilet bowling, calibration and firmware issues. But the main issue has been lack of F port function which still a major problem for me and I feel cheated that it has not been dealt with since the launch nearly a year ago.

A2/IOSD/Datalink was a much better option with LB2 but still does not give anything but basic operation of GH4. DJI are forcing us into a situation that if we do not have 100% DJI equipment we are forced to accept compramises.

Yuk.  Glad I changed back to the A2.  Thank you for your candor...
2017-2-5
Use props
AgentEddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25200 ft

St Vincent and Grenadines

Draco95 Posted at 2017-1-15 17:34
So, the A3 has arrived, all sleek in it’s black box with black writing   I have successfully adapted the S1000 top board to replicate the S1000+, and have installed the A3 on the bottom board in the centre of gravity as recommended.  There is insulation between the power distributor and the main controller too.  
So with the centre of the top board removable, I can install the MC, IMUs, PMU and all the wiring neatly and securely, then screw the top board centre back on and it’s all protected.  
I used the R7008SB with SBus connection, mode 2, into the SBus port of the MC.  Note: the ESC cables that go from the connection port under the bottom board, M1-M8,  are too short to reach anywhere but the one of the cooling vanes where the A2 was, let alone the centre of the top board!  So I lengthened them, from 100mm to 2400mm.  I saw in a video once that there are longer ESC cables available, but I can’t find them anywhere.

Hey I have this problem with my setup that the ESC cables are too short, I tried looking for longer ESC cables but no luck. Have you been able to locate them?
2017-3-5
Use props
SkySight Aerial
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AgentEddie Posted at 2017-3-5 15:10
Hey I have this problem with my setup that the ESC cables are too short, I tried looking for longer ESC cables but no luck. Have you been able to locate them?

There are loads available on eBay. You will need 30cm if you are mounting your A3 in the centre.
2017-3-6
Use props
Jean Silva
New

Brazil

I recently purchased a VANT KIT containing: 01 DJI S1000 Frame, 01 DJI A3 Controller and 01 Radio Control DJI Lightbride 2.
Note: We are using a 6S Battery, 16.000mha, 22.2V Tattu Brand.
I set it up according to the manual. (V1.4 of S1000, V1.6 of lightbridge 2 and V1.2 of A3) However, I have a problem with AIR UNIT of DJI LightBridge 2, but it is not calling.
At first I thought it might be some problem in the cable (DBUS Cable II x1), we did the continuity test on it and it did not present any problem, when I checked the voltage on the connection that arrives at AIR UNIT is arriving a voltage of 3.1V Attached). From what I observed in the AIR UNIT manual it operates with a voltage of 9 to 12V, I believe that is why it is not working.
Has anyone in the group gone through or is experiencing this problem?
Those who have passed, what have they done to correct?
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Jean Silva Posted at 2017-3-7 03:56
I recently purchased a VANT KIT containing: 01 DJI S1000 Frame, 01 DJI A3 Controller and 01 Radio Control DJI Lightbride 2.
Note: We are using a 6S Battery, 16.000mha, 22.2V Tattu Brand.
I set it up according to the manual. (V1.4 of S1000, V1.6 of lightbridge 2 and V1.2 of A3) However, I have a problem with AIR UNIT of DJI LightBridge 2, but it is not calling.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, the air unit is not receiving power at all?
2017-3-7
Use props
edwoodza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 379177 ft
South Africa

On our LB connected to the A3. A3 supplies the 12V to the LB. A3 powered by the 6S battery. All working well. Just busy trying to sort out performance issues as it has the shudder in hover so needing to find the best settings for  it now. Sadly DJI themselves not much help.
2017-3-8
Use props
David G.
lvl.1

United States

We had a complete flying S1000 using an A2, data downlink and the Zenumuse Z15 5D III. Video downlink was through a standard 5.8GHz VTX. We "upgraded" to the A3 pro because the PC based ground control system is no longer supported. Now nothing seems to be compatible!

The DJI marketing on the web does not mention how they completely changed the architecture which in effect abandons the professional user doing photogrammetry.  I can fly it around using the Futaba 14SG and run the gimbal from our Futaba 8FG but I need autonomous flight planning and auto camera shutter control to do survey work.
2017-3-8
Use props
AgentEddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25200 ft

St Vincent and Grenadines

SkySight Aerial Posted at 2017-3-6 11:18
There are loads available on eBay. You will need 30cm if you are mounting your A3 in the centre.

Yes I am mounting it in the center but so far in my search I have been able to find 200mm cables only, Do you by chance have a link to one that is offered with 30cm? Thanks in advanced
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules