P4P Gimbal vibration and noise + Fix
12Next >
16686 46 2016-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
N5Lc2rXCOoCR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I just find out whenever i tilt the p4p to the left after start up, the gimbal vibrating a lot and create loud noise. I am not sure if this normal. Please check up my video. Also i flew indoor and outdoor with minor wind several times, i did not manage to get any clear photo with 1s or above exposure time. I used to own a phantom 4 and it can capture acceptable photo with 2 or 3s exposure time.

(noise started at 0:55) the noise is due to the as gimbal vibrate and when it has reached the end point, it contacts with the metal bit which used to stop the gimbal to move any futher when tilted.

I have contact dji support for this vibration, to be honest the vibration is not super intense but it can be notice when filming, for example in wind condition when the p4p is titled to that direction. Dji tech support somehow find their p4p has the same vibration and filmed me the a video, when tilted to the left side like how i did it in video above.

However i still found the vibration a bit annoying, so i keep on investgating why it create the vibration. i found out the vibration start as the top part (near the black rubber ring) of the gimbal reached the side. like the photo attached.

Lastest update: I ended up purchased a replacment phantom 4 gimbal absorber set and taken the 4 rubbers to replace the original 4. As they seem to be newer and a tiny bit stronger. No mod have been done just replace 4 new rubbers. Problems now solved , a prefect phantom 4 pro. No noise and weird vibration.

when the top part of the gimbal moved to the left.

when the top part of the gimbal moved to the left.
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

When you're tilting the roll to that extreme, it could be possible that you're straining the motor. It's hard to tell if the camera is vibrating otherwise. The sound of the fan seems within tolerance. Could you happen to provide a small video to better see the vibration?
2016-12-23
Use props
N5Lc2rXCOoCR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The gimbal is not vibrating when I tilt it the the front/back and right,i actually find this out from doing an IMU calibration, I watched some other people do their calibration and it does not create this weird noise, it is not the fan, it is the gimbal vibrating at quite high frequency when tilt to the left. I will make an IMU calibration video to show what I actually mean.
2016-12-24
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

N5Lc2rXCOoCR Posted at 2016-12-24 19:41
The gimbal is not vibrating when I tilt it the the front/back and right,i actually find this out from doing an IMU calibration, I watched some other people do their calibration and it does not create this weird noise, it is not the fan, it is the gimbal vibrating at quite high frequency when tilt to the left. I will make an IMU calibration video to show what I actually mean.

Hi, dose it only make that noise when you tilt it that one way? (it looked like it on the video), dose it make any noise when the gimbal is in its normal operating zone?  
2016-12-24
Use props
N5Lc2rXCOoCR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

When i tilt the drone slowly to the left, like even 10degree i can already feel the vibration If I touch the gimbal softly. As I tilt at a higher angle to the left the vibration increase, but it does not have any vibration If I tilt any other direction.
2016-12-24
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-24 04:56
When you're tilting the roll to that extreme, it could be possible that you're straining the motor. It's hard to tell if the camera is vibrating otherwise. The sound of the fan seems within tolerance. Could you happen to provide a small video to better see the vibration?

Hi Jamie I just find out a better way to show the vibration please check out the video, I think it is definitely a problem now, when the drone tilted to the left the gimbal and only the gimbal vibrate at a pretty high frequency like the vibration of a mobile. so that whenever my p4p is flying in that direction the gimbal does vibrate. At the iPad live feed, it can be seen the whole image is vibrating. While if I do the same thing to the other side it is smooth.
2016-12-24
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

My gimbal sometimes stuck looking downward at start too, all I did is to reboot until it back to normal
2016-12-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Alexdroner Posted at 2016-12-24 23:32
Hi Jamie I just find out a better way to show the vibration please check out the video, I think it is definitely a problem now, when the drone tilted to the left the gimbal and only the gimbal vibrate at a pretty high frequency like the vibration of a mobile. so that whenever my p4p is flying in that direction the gimbal does vibrate. At the iPad live feed, it can be seen the whole image is vibrating. While if I do the same thing to the other side it is smooth.
https://youtu.be/2ATR2v7lkDs

I can see the vibration more clearly now, thanks for the visual. So just to make sure I'm on the same page, it only does this when tilted in this direction and not when it's looking forward or tilted up and down, correct? Since you have the aircraft tilted to an extreme, does it vibrate when it's a minute degree?
2016-12-26
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-26 23:55
I can see the vibration more clearly now, thanks for the visual. So just to make sure I'm on the same page, it only does this when tilted in this direction and not when it's looking forward or tilted up and down, correct? Since you have the aircraft tilted to an extreme, does it vibrate when it's a minute degree?

Yes a minor degree lije 10degree the vibration will start and increase as it tilts at higher angle. I have contacted dji support and somehow their p4p does the same vibration and noise as well too, they have even send me a video showing when it tilts to the left like me it does vibrate, but not when it is tilted at any other direction.
However I stIll found that a bit annoying, so I investigate it futher, and found out of a way to fix, but it involving taking the whole gimbal off the drone. It is I believe is the rubber(the four tin rubber not the big black ring rubber) used to isolate the vibration from the drone to the gimbal is too weak letting it moved to an extreme. Basically what I have done is added a tiny rubber between the plates to restrict some movement of the top part of the gimbal, Anyway this is how I fixed all the vibration, even tilted to any extreme, the gimbal does not vibrate any more, very smooth, I may upload an image of my mod. I have susscessfully capture a clear 6s long exposure image when tilts on both side .
2016-12-26
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-26 23:55

Hi Jamie I have edit the thread, and explained what I have done to the gimbal.
2016-12-27
Use props
kykphantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Alexdroner Posted at 2016-12-26 21:11
Yes a minor degree lije 10degree the vibration will start and increase as it tilts at higher angle. I have contacted dji support and somehow their p4p does the same vibration and noise as well too, they have even send me a video showing when it tilts to the left like me it does vibrate, but not when it is tilted at any other direction.
However I stIll found that a bit annoying, so I investigate it futher, and found out of a way to fix, but it involving taking the whole gimbal off the drone. It is I believe is the rubber(the four tin rubber not the big black ring rubber) used to isolate the vibration from the drone to the gimbal is too weak letting it moved to an extreme. Basically what I have done is added a tiny rubber between the plates to restrict some movement of the top part of the gimbal, Anyway this is how I fixed all the vibration, even tilted to any extreme, the gimbal does not vibrate any more, very smooth, I may upload an image of my mod. I have susscessfully capture a clear 6s long exposure image when tilts on both side .

Could you tell us if when you had the issue of that vibration (before you fix it) did you encounter any Jello effect on your videos?
2017-1-7
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

No jellow but can't not be sure because I was focusing on still photo. it is perfectly fine now I have been taken serval 4s long exposure photo, steady.
2017-1-7
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also just found that my gimbal is having the same vibration issue when tiling to the right at 45 degrees, but no vibration when tiling to the left. I think it happens when you do an IMU calibration when you turn the copter on its side, and caused the gimabl to slam against the limit of the rotation. This causes the rubber damper to weaken and creates vibration. I would like to know if anyone else has the same problem and has a fix for this.
2017-1-24
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I already have a fix for this just can't bother rewriting the post. Basically you are right the internal vibration rubber is weaken or each has different elastic strength to cause this weird vibration, from what I found it is the gimbal lock too tight pushing the gimbal all the way in and weaken the internal rubber not the big o ring, what I have done to fix is, but the p4 gimbal vibration absorber set part 32 and take the rubber to replace to your p4p. If you have no fear take apart the gimbal you should be able to do it, it is easy. But the gimbal lock is what it caused it, use a hair dryer to soften it then uptight the push.
2017-1-25
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, Alexdroner, that makes very good sense. The gimbal lock does jam the whole gimbal assembly back up into the drone's main body. Good grief now I can't use the damn lock anymore. I have also noticed the cooling fan is on the right side of the gimbal assembly, and that might be another source of vibration when the gimbal is touching the fan caused by weakening of the rubber damper.
2017-1-25
Use props
Alex Tse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4486240 ft
United Kingdom

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-1-25 05:16
Thanks, Alexdroner, that makes very good sense. The gimbal lock does jam the whole gimbal assembly back up into the drone's main body. Good grief now I can't use the damn lock anymore. I have also noticed the cooling fan is on the right side of the gimbal assembly, and that might be another source of vibration when the gimbal is touching the fan caused by weakening of the rubber damper.

jellow or any vibration should not have transfered if those rubber inside work properly, the vibration cause by the fan is nothing compare to the motor during flight, like you can hover your drone then touch the case, even it looks super stable the vibration is actually not possible to avoid, the vibration that can tranfer to the video can only caused by the bottom part of the gimbal. like from the bubble downwards. If you heard any weird noise when it is on the ground but not the gimbal vibration. it is the fan vibration causes the case resonance try to lossen and tighten those screw to see if it help, it is actually the case resonance causing the noise not the fan in contact to anything.
This is still Alexdroner i just have two account. XD Always forgot to change it.
2017-1-25
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

In the case of the gimbal lock, can I use an after market gimbal lock for Phantom 4 on the P4P?  
2017-1-25
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-1-25 06:31
In the case of the gimbal lock, can I use an after market gimbal lock for Phantom 4 on the P4P?

No, as the diameter of the camera is different, i am waiting for a after market one too, in the mean time i have use a heat gun to deform the shape a bit. It is like bending acrylic, it won't become brittle because of the heat.  
2017-1-25
Use props
Crossko
New
Flight distance : 419636 ft
Russia

Alexdroner Posted at 2017-1-25 09:56
No, as the diameter of the camera is different, i am waiting for a after market one too, in the mean time i have use a heat gun to deform the shape a bit. It is like bending acrylic, it won't become brittle because of the heat.

Hello, friends! I am sorry, my english is bad. I have this problem too. Please, tell me how to fix it? I don't understand. Many thanks.
2017-2-4
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U guys are crazy thats like throwing a servo to its end and pushing on it with two fingers.....your phantom will never be in that position in flight for that long never! Hell wait might as well turn it upside down oh wait is gimble making weird noise??? Lolol seriously is this thread for real mods seriously? Guys try to find things wrong and obsess wayyyy to much u are stressing the little brushless motors when u do that of course they are gonna whine when at their max limit. And to the guy who changed the rubber dampeners lol are u serious??? U dont think the new one u just put in is like the one u took out by now? Like the new one is magically harder? Better rubber? No! New one is stretched the same now with gimbal weight no magic fix bro.... Man some of the stuff i read on this forum is crazy.....go out and fly your camera/gimbal is fine!!!
2017-2-4
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Crossko your fine man trust me dont read into the hype when tilting your aircraft nearly vertical like that tge gimbal motors will whine. U will never achieve that much lean in flight. U are ok enjoy your ac
2017-2-4
Use props
Crossko
New
Flight distance : 419636 ft
Russia

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-2-4 01:52
Crossko your fine man trust me dont read into the hype when tilting your aircraft nearly vertical like that tge gimbal motors will whine. U will never achieve that much lean in flight. U are ok enjoy your ac

Are you sure? It is really normal? The gimbal is not vibrating when I tilt it the the front/back and right.
2017-2-4
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Listen it is your p4p do as u want . Does it mess your videos up? It does not on mine
2017-2-4
Use props
Ujjawal Animato
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6711102 ft
  • >>>
India

Alexdroner Posted at 2016-12-24 07:32
https://youtu.be/2ATR2v7lkDs

update your firmware and then see it ..
2017-2-4
Use props
Ujjawal Animato
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6711102 ft
  • >>>
India

update your firmware
2017-2-4
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-2-4 01:44
U guys are crazy thats like throwing a servo to its end and pushing on it with two fingers.....your phantom will never be in that position in flight for that long never! Hell wait might as well turn it upside down oh wait is gimble making weird noise??? Lolol seriously is this thread for real mods seriously? Guys try to find things wrong and obsess wayyyy to much u are stressing the little brushless motors when u do that of course they are gonna whine when at their max limit. And to the guy who changed the rubber dampeners lol are u serious??? U dont think the new one u just put in is like the one u took out by now? Like the new one is magically harder? Better rubber? No! New one is stretched the same now with gimbal weight no magic fix bro.... Man some of the stuff i read on this forum is crazy.....go out and fly your camera/gimbal is fine!!!

Brah, believe it or not after i changed the rubber until now, I have zero problems, no weird high frequency vibration, If you think the drone can never till to that position, go to a open field in p mode. I am saying P mode then hover in front of you flying full stick to the left and right, then you will see how far it can tilt. record it to show us we want to know, if you can ever be bothered. Anyway i already help many of my friends with p4p fixed the same problem. and we all agree it is the gimbal lock giving too much force and messed if the gimbal dampers (4 tiny bubbles). It is not because the gimbal camera too heavy and mess up the rubber. I have modded the gimbal lock as well with a hairdryer.

They are like 10 pounds on ebay, and it is not hard to replace. If anyone is not happy with that vibration, I am just giving a way for people want a prefect P4P.
2017-2-12
Use props
Alexdroner
lvl.2

United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-2-4 02:19
Listen it is your p4p do as u want . Does it mess your videos up? It does not on mine

Some p4p is worst some are better, it wont affect the footage in most case, only when whoever want to fly in relatively high wind and when the wind is blowing directly from the left of the drone and hover, then can see that vibration. If that doesn't annoy you, that good for you, but i need 4s long exposure in wind conditions so i need that fix.
A boring but showcase of my drone footage
2017-2-12
Use props
aleksandr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3524839 ft
  • >>>
Russia

I had the same problem and it was solved after replacing the rubber bands from P4.
2017-4-26
Use props
PaulinoFilho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1056506 ft
Brazil

How did you replace the rubbers and where did you buy them?
2017-5-5
Use props
fans5ba4c294
lvl.1

United States

My P4P makes this noise when I calibrate the IMU also. I'll have to do some further reading on how to fix that.
2017-5-5
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

My gimbal starts -gently- vibrating when I tilt the bird to the left. Even from a very small angle (like 10 degrees). Increasing the angle makes the vibration go away. If I increase the angle more (~40 deg) then a different kind of vibration starts (severe) along with the known terrible noises it makes during compass or IMU calibration.

I know the latter are common, but what about the slight vibration in small angles. I think I read in that thread (or in another) that it happens because due to the vibration absorber it gets the frequency of the fan. That would make some sense maybe, but why does it stop after tilting more?
2017-5-9
Use props
Frenck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142723 ft
Italy

My new P4P + also has the same problem ... with the message on the display, "Gimbal Motor Overloaded".

In the past, I noticed some problems with the DJI GO software stability, when using the "Draw" mode, after a while using this flight mode, the system no longer responds to the "touch" commands ... and the height and speed directions Are not correct ... Sometimes the system crashes and restarts DJI GO while my aircraft is flying.

I have currently sent my P4P + as a replacement for warranty ... I hope
2017-5-9
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alexdroner I have exactly the same issue as you had.
I picked mine 2 days ago and noticed this while IMU calibration. Im not fancy to take the gimbal apart.
Do I need to raise a ticket with DJI ?
2017-5-10
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've contacted DJI Support and I need to send it back ...
That was unhappy 2 days of owning the bird
2017-5-11
Use props
rady
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52329 ft

Portugal

Mine does this:
2017-7-16
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ugh... mine makes a terrible sound when I tilt the bird to calibrate the IMU.  Same "grinding" sound, only when tilting one direction.  The other directions create no sound at all.
2017-7-18
Use props
fansaae7d522
New

Canada

Yes I am also having a problem with my phantom 4 pro The gimbal is making weird noises when it starts up I send it away took almost 1 1/2 months till I got it back and the problem is still there very upsetting
2017-8-31
Use props
fansfbd14722
New
Flight distance : 150016 ft
United States

HELP! SAME PROBLEM  p4p.... noise, gimbal calibration stuck at 50% ......lot's of shaking when flying.
2017-9-14
Use props
AlexChok
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2615007 ft
Netherlands

rady Добавлено в 2017-7-16 16:55
Шахта делает это:

У меня также был шум и шум в кардане, задняя часть также была нагрета. Через некоторое время появился надменный карданный мотор, и кардан камеры не стабилизировался горизонтально.https://yadi.sk/i/kaUHup5y3N9efr
2017-9-22
Use props
9krpm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46847 ft
Australia

Mine is making a constant squealing noise. Tried IMU calibration without much help. I'm refreshing the firmware atm.... finger crossed
2017-10-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules