12Next >
8486 42 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

Hey all,
Bought a brand new P4 last Friday from Best Buy.  Got it home but no battery lights at all when I tried to charge it.  RC charges ok. Read all the posts but no luck.  Drove 2 hrs on Sat to exchange it and got a whole new unit.  Opened it in the store to confirm the battery charges (ok) and brought it home.  Put it on charge (ok) and checked it 2 hrs later, again no lights no charging and no response. Dead.
Is this the kind of product I should expect for $1500?  Seems like there's a flaw in this product or a manufacturer defect that should be corrected before they sell any more of them.

Love to have someone from DJI respond.

Thanks,

2016-12-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Seems normal if the drone's battery has sat for any length of time on the shelf.  This also happens with cellphones at the cellular stores where they will not start up or charge having sat too long and the tech tries to install the SIM card in them.  DJI should put a "Best if used by date" on their boxes (wink-wink).

Once you get a battery that works, don't let it self-discharge too soon in the menu setup else it might be 100% DOA next time you want to use it and attempt to charge it. That and doing so will just rack up the charge counter and end of life percentages both.  Their charger should be able to apply a charge to even the dead ones but it seems their charger doesn't even see the battery once plugged in as it is so dead it doesn't even connect through the electronics.

2016-12-24
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

AlecW Posted at 2016-12-24 12:03
When you press the button on the battery do you get any lights?

Nothing, notta, nil

I'm worried this is going to be the norm and I should be buying something different.
2016-12-24
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-24 13:08
Seems normal if the drone's battery has sat for any length of time on the shelf.  This also happens with cellphones at the cellular stores where they will not start up or charge having sat too long and the tech tries to install the SIM card in them.  DJI should put a "Best if used by date" on their boxes (wink-wink).

Once you get a battery that works, don't let it self-discharge too soon in the menu setup else it might be 100% DOA next time you want to use it and attempt to charge it. That and doing so will just rack up the charge counter and end of life percentages both.  Their charger should be able to apply a charge to even the dead ones but it seems their charger doesn't even see the battery once plugged in as it is so dead it doesn't even connect through the electronics.

Thanks,
It's actually a gift for someone so I'll pass that on if we decide to keep it.
2016-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please make a short video of the battery issue?
I'll help to check it.
2016-12-24
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

attached video link and pic

This is the 2nd brand new F4 with a failed battery from different stores.  Please advise what the manufacture defect is and if/when it will be corrected.

Thanks,
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqN85Jt6hW5Kgo5bKvlruqNrrOsmGA

label

label
2016-12-24
Use props
jusjeff
New

United States

Exact same thing happened to mine! Got mine from B and H photo, called support, they were gonna send me a new battery, they called back and said hey had no batteries to send, that there were a bunch of bad batteries and were out of stock, so they had me send the whole package back and will send me another... when they get mine. Very disappointed.
2016-12-24
Use props
jusjeff
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-24 21:22
Could you please make a short video of the battery issue?
I'll help to check it.

Make a short video of a dead battery that won't light up when pressed - really?
2016-12-24
Use props
jusjeff
New

United States

Mindy, you want him to make a video of a dead battery that won't light up when status button is pressed?
2016-12-24
Use props
jusjeff
New

United States

I'm afraid my replaced unit will have a bad battery too. Mine was over nighted, now I have to wait 1-2 weeks on a replacement unit that I've yet to get to use! Buy a drone and wait 2 weeks to use it. Do they not keep track of the bad batch of batteries by serial numbers and pull the defective batteries. Or are they just replacing as they go? Making customers mad?
2016-12-24
Use props
Brocktree
lvl.1
United States

I just purchased my Phantom 4 at my local Costco and have this exact same problem. I emailed their support. Were you guys able to get them replaced at the retail store or did you need to send them your broken one, and then wait for them to send you a working one?
2016-12-24
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

Brocktree,
My initial purchase was completely replaced at a different Best Buy store.  Unfortunately the 2nd unit is also defective and won't charge.  This tells me that this is a manufacturer defect and merely sending another battery will not resolve this issue.  The problem is in the design or with a defective component in manufacturing.  This hit and miss process is unacceptable and DJI needs to acknowledge the problem, and advise what they are going to do about it; their reputation depends on it.

2016-12-25
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

For the OP, take it back to Best Buy for a third unit.  At some point you'll get a good, or at least better one.  QC isn't DJI's strongest point, imho, but at some point you should get a working battery.  Once you do, keep it charged and cycled every two weeks or so and it should continue to work.  Do not do the self-discharge storage thing too frequently either.  Once it's dead, you are pretty much out of flying when it refuses to accept a charge.

I had to do the exchange process with Best Buy three times initially too (I'm really hesitant to do mail order with DJI.), but Best Buy is very easy to deal with and they'll just hand you over a new box in five minutes.  Fwiw, my exchanges were not for battery problems, but camera issues.  Really do need to sort out any issues within the 15 day window with BB though.  I don't know how Costco manages exchanges, but people I know have no issues with them.  Mail order I'm "eh" with; too much time emailing and verifying, RMA's, shipping, and waiting if you get a bad unit.  Multiple times dealing with that over defective products would be too much.

2016-12-25
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

What seems to have happend to me twice but still not for sure is that i had the battery plugged into the charger before i had the charger plugged into the wall, So try plugging the charger into the wall and power it up first and then plug the battery into the charger. The battery plug can be inserted either way and when the battery is plugged in first into the charger and then the charger into the wall it  doesn't or can't check polarity so it doesn't charge. I have also heard that when the smart batteries sit idle for long periods they go into Hibernation and takes awhile to bring them out of hibernation while sitting on the charger.. So try powering up the Charger First and then plug the battery in. Let me know if that works because i bought a case for my drone that has space for 6 batteries and i'm going to be buying 3 more batteries after new years. .The other sinerio is that they are Lipo batteries and if they go below 10% charge can harm them and if they go dead 0% pretty much kills them. So when flying try to get the bird home before you go below 15 - 20%. At $169 dollars a Battery and or extra un-needed trips to exchange batteries might be everted. If your battery is going to sit unused for any length of time make sure they have a charge between 30% to 50% before letting them sit idle.
2016-12-25
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

Normn8or Posted at 2016-12-25 10:45
What seems to have happend to me twice but still not for sure is that i had the battery plugged into the charger before i had the charger plugged into the wall, So try plugging the charger into the wall and power it up first and then plug the battery into the charger. The battery plug can be inserted either way and when the battery is plugged in first into the charger and then the charger into the wall it  doesn't or can't check polarity so it doesn't charge. I have also heard that when the smart batteries sit idle for long periods they go into Hibernation and takes awhile to bring them out of hibernation while sitting on the charger.. So try powering up the Charger First and then plug the battery in. Let me know if that works because i bought a case for my drone that has space for 6 batteries and i'm going to be buying 3 more batteries after new years. .The other sinerio is that they are Lipo batteries and if they go below 10% charge can harm them and if they go dead 0% pretty much kills them. So when flying try to get the bird home before you go below 15 - 20%. At $169 dollars a Battery and or extra un-needed trips to exchange batteries might be everted.

I tried all options of connecting the charger, when live, when not plugged in, both directions.  Did this for both units.  I'm hoping DJI responds before I start to get nasty with Best Buy.  It's alot of money for alot of problems.
2016-12-25
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lar525 Posted at 2016-12-25 10:29
I tried all options of connecting the charger, when live, when not plugged in, both directions.  Did this for both units.  I'm hoping DJI responds before I start to get nasty with Best Buy.  It's alot of money for alot of problems.

You're saying Best Buy won't let you return it?
2016-12-25
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Lar525 Posted at 2016-12-25 10:29

I Hear ya Brother it's alot of money for sure. I added a video to my post above guess it's not the problem but still good info though. Hope you have a great Christmas.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Lar525 Posted at 2016-12-25 13:30

This is the 2nd brand new F4 with a failed battery from different stores.  Please advise what the manufacture defect is and if/when it will be corrected.

Sorry, I cannot access to your link.
I think it's better to get in touch with our tech support. They will help to handle it.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jusjeff Posted at 2016-12-25 14:01
I'm afraid my replaced unit will have a bad battery too. Mine was over nighted, now I have to wait 1-2 weeks on a replacement unit that I've yet to get to use! Buy a drone and wait 2 weeks to use it. Do they not keep track of the bad batch of batteries by serial numbers and pull the defective batteries. Or are they just replacing as they go? Making customers mad?

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties. I can understand how frustrating this must be.
Did you contact our tech support for replacement?
Do you have a case number? I'll help to escalate it for you.
2016-12-26
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Lar525 Posted at 2016-12-25 13:30

Hi,
may or may not be a major issue but DJI advise not to charge both the battery and RC unit at same time. I also note that whilst you are pressing the battery button with no response, does it make a difference if battery is disconnected from charger unit and correct battery start procedure is used? (press button, release and immediately press again until lights come on).
Frustrating but stay with it - they are truly great fun to fly!
2016-12-26
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks Mindy,
Case #373542
2016-12-26
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

Lethal Posted at 2016-12-26 03:46
Hi,
may or may not be a major issue but DJI advise not to charge both the battery and RC unit at same time. I also note that whilst you are pressing the battery button with no response, does it make a difference if battery is disconnected from charger unit and correct battery start procedure is used? (press buuton, release and immediately press again until lights come on).
Frustrating but stay with it - they are truly great fun to fly!

I tried it every which way.  Tried the battery start procedure as well as initiating charge with power off and on.
Did the same for both batteries and am now thinking that this is junk.  There are loads of posts with people with the same issues not only here but on other forums.
2016-12-26
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Lar525 Posted at 2016-12-27 00:47
I tried it every which way.  Tried the battery start procedure as well as initiating charge with power off and on.
Did the same for both batteries and am now thinking that this is junk.  There are loads of posts with people with the same issues not only here but on other forums.

Hi, would be really interested in outcome. Please post results of DJI claim.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Lar525 Posted at 2016-12-27 00:47

Your case has been escalated, we'll help you handle it soon.
Very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2016-12-26
Use props
Bayricker
New

United States

I have exactly the same battery problem. Two brand new batteries and a brand new Phantom 4 as Christmas present from my son. All packaging was sealed when received. The remote controller charges fine. There appears to be power to the battery charger connector but neither battery will light nor charge. Filed a DJI Claim yesterday. Waiting for response. Agree that for something this expensive, the QC is very disappointing. Battery S/Ns are 082AD7J0310DA2 and 082AD9X03100B9.
2016-12-27
Use props
Brocktree
lvl.1
United States

Such a pain in the ass.... called up DJI and they want me to send in the battery so they can assess it, and then they'll send one back once they've found it to be defective. I think I might just take all this crap back to Costco for a refund and then order one online from DJI directly.
2016-12-27
Use props
Seaduner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7619229 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brocktree Posted at 2016-12-27 13:05
Such a pain in the ass.... called up DJI and they want me to send in the battery so they can assess it, and then they'll send one back once they've found it to be defective. I think I might just take all this crap back to Costco for a refund and then order one online from DJI directly.

No, don't do that!  Take it back to Costco and get an exchange.  You'll eventually get a good one.  That's the quickest way to resolve the problem.  This battery problem is annoying, but once you get a good one you'll be happy.  
2016-12-27
Use props
Brocktree
lvl.1
United States

Seaduner Posted at 2016-12-27 13:20
No, don't do that!  Take it back to Costco and get an exchange.  You'll eventually get a good one.  That's the quickest way to resolve the problem.  This battery problem is annoying, but once you get a good one you'll be happy.

That's what I wanted to do, haha. Unfortunately, they sold out completely in every store in my county.... RIP
2016-12-27
Use props
Lar525
lvl.1

Canada

Technical support has contacted me and have been trying to arrange the delivery and exchange of the battery.
I have come to a conclusion based on my experience with repeat problems and the various documented problems from other owners.  My conclusion is that there seems to be many quality control issues related to this product.  The product also appears to be prematurely released to public without proper research and development and thus I feel that this is an unwise purchase.  Given the high price of the unit and the high price of extra batteries if desired, I feel that this may be a money pit of expenses.  I have returned the unit to Best Buy and have received a full refund.  For the record, Best Buy admitted that they have received many returns of this unit this holiday season for the same reason.

Thank you.
2016-12-28
Use props
imtheredude
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

My son and I both bought new P4's from the same seller and luckily the batteries in both were good but I have had problems finding a good second battery. I bought one off eBay and it did the same thing, no lights, no charge.  I finally got a good one but it took a few times to find it. But I will say that the battery problem has no impact as to the quality of the product. I have had zero issues with mine nor has my son had any trouble with his. Don't let the bad battery issue get you down just find a good battery and you will be set. Good luck and hope you have as much fun as we are!
2016-12-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
United States

I wish DJI would go back to the basic battery like used on their S1000.  Just a battery without the intelligent circuitry doing the "Drain Game" and DOA stuff.  Leave that intelligent stuff to smart Li-Po chargers as used by the electric helicopter, planes, FPV racers, and the RC car guys and get it off the Phantom "Intelligent" (ahem!) battery.  This is a result of an over-design going bad mess.
2016-12-30
Use props
Warnberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24764 ft
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-30 08:02
I wish DJI would go back to the basic battery like used on their S1000.  Just a battery without the intelligent circuitry doing the "Drain Game" and DOA stuff.  Leave that intelligent stuff to smart Li-Po chargers as used by the electric helicopter, planes, FPV racers, and the RC car guys and get it off the Phantom "Intelligent" (ahem!) battery.  This is a result of an over-design going bad mess.

2 batteries no issues here.... there is no "basic battery" for the Phantom 4 and the auto discharge is there to discharge the battery to 40% to 60% the ideal storage capacity for a Lipo type rechargable battery pack.. lipo battery chargers are not idiot proof either, personally have seen 4 batteries go up in flames while an "expert" was using a SMART lipo battery charger... hummm
2016-12-30
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309626 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought two brand new P4 batteries this week. One was DOA. Looks to be a very common issue. Maybe it's been resolved in firmware since? But lots of these batteries have died on the shelf.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans165c64d0
New

United States

I just bought a new phantom 3 pro and I have done a lot of research before flying i one of my research i came across fake battery vs original, like i said i bought my drone from best buy and it should be new, when opened the box i did notice the battery was not pre charged but did not think much about it until now, but now im suspicious can some one tell me if its fake or real, according to the videos on youtube is fake, but i dont know
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
2016-12-30
Use props
fans165c64d0
New

United States

fans165c64d0 Posted at 2016-12-30 09:57
I just bought a new phantom 3 pro and I have done a lot of research before flying i one of my research i came across fake battery vs original, like i said i bought my drone from best buy and it should be new, when opened the box i did notice the battery was not pre charged but did not think much about it until now, but now im suspicious can some one tell me if its fake or real, according to the videos on youtube is fake, but i dont know

Heres another photo
IMG_0711.JPG
2016-12-30
Use props
deltanut
New

United States

Add me to the list of people who bought a Phantom 4 from Best Buy (yesterday) and have battery issues. LED battery lights powered on initially, then went off about 3 mins later. Pressed power button, pressed again for 3 secs. Waited, went thru sequence again, nothing - no lights. Then pressed it many times - still totally dead. Took off charger, put in drone, tried to power with button sequence many times, nothing. Did some research online, tons of people with same issues. Some have said to allow to charge for several hours. I am on hour 3 and nothing - no lights, nothing. Can anyone advise how long it should take under normal circumstances to charge a battery from 0 to 100%?

I'll probably charge continuously overnight, then if nothing, will return to Best Buy for another. I just hate the fact of taking it all apart, re-boxing, and starting all over again.
2016-12-30
Use props
deltanut
New

United States

Charged the battery overnight - push the proper sequence on the button to turn on per manual - nothing. Put battery in drone with remote on and still wouldn't power on.

Dismantling now and returning to Best Buy. I am an eliteplus member at Best Buy so I know they will take it back. Crossing fingers the next one won't have the same issue.
2016-12-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi All, sorry to hear about you're experiencing difficulties, if it's the battery faulty and it's brand new or within the warranty period, we'll take care of your cases, please feel free to contact our support to send it for a replacement or repair, thanks again for your support!
2017-1-3
Use props
bjr0404
New

United States

It looks like a lot of the same battery issues, I returned 2 P4s for dead batteries at best buy, opened a 3rd before leaving the store it was dead. I had them check a battery from the shelf and found one that had power and they swapped it for the dead one that was in the third P4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, it would be nice to know why so many batteries are dead sounds like a common problem.
2017-1-5
Use props
Bayricker
New

United States

Received two batteries back from DJI service. New S/Ns so these are replacement batteries not repaired. Both batteries work as they should and drone flies fine.

While waiting the two weeks to get the battery problem resolved I ordered a 3rd battery off Amazon. Adorama, a well respected dealer of electronic and camera gear, was the seller. This battery was new in box, all seals in place. Yes, this battery was DOA. No lights and didn't charge. That is three out of three new batteries dead. I'm hoping DJI has corrected this problem in their China based supply chain. If not then FIX IT.
2017-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules