Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlameBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105558 ft
United Kingdom

I bought this drone to film big weekend paintball events and it's unusable at the moment. So i have a £1600 (inc all the extras i bought) brick

2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-6 09:41
I bought this drone to film big weekend paintball events and it's unusable at the moment. So i have a £1600 (inc all the extras i bought) brick

Contact support and start the RMA process.
2017-1-6
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-6 08:05
Flew short mission of 10 mins.   No issues.   Will test more when rain breaks again.

That's good news! Thank you sir.
2017-1-6
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319514 ft
Canada

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-5 11:46
It looks like a lot of the problems in this thread are not with the VPS but with the environment people are trying to fly in..... as stated in the manual the VPS won't work correctly in pure white(snow) environments.

So if you are flying in the snow and having VPS problems ... it's most likely not a glitch or an issue with the mavic ..... it's just beyond the limitations of the mavic VPS. This can easily be established of course ... by testing the mavic in an environment the VPS supports to see if the problem persists.

To clarify - my problem with this second Mavic I got was everywhere, snow, grass etc etc
2017-1-6
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Canada

fans707604b2 Posted at 2017-1-5 11:53
I was under the impression that the V(ision)PS is only active until about 20 metres, at which point the sonar takes over for ground clearance detection.  I experience this issue in:

Bright sunlight

I couldn't agree more

And I am starting to think this maybe temp related. I sold my first Mavic (which had no issues whatsoever) before it got too cold.
My second Mavic that had this problem in every condition was always flown in cooler weather...

Edit: Sorry I noticed others stated they had the same problem in warmer temps too. Sounding more and more like a problem with the DJI go app...

However, I used the same device and same app with my first Mavic and never had a problem with it. Maybe the litchi app parameters for the VPS sensor are more relaxed, such that a small drift/error would not effect flight characteristics

My Mavic finally made it to DJI after 7 days of travelling ... hopefully I'll hear back form them soon
2017-1-6
Use props
fans9dfc0d9a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5341982 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi,I just turned precision landing off ! works fine now just lands like normal
2017-1-6
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

fans9dfc0d9a Posted at 2017-1-6 18:30
Hi,I just turned precision landing off ! works fine now just lands like normal

Did you mean to type "Landing Protection" as I recommended in a previous post, or did you really mean to say Precision Landing?
2017-1-6
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Canada

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-6 21:21
Did you mean to type "Landing Protection" as I recommended in a previous post, or did you really mean to say Precision Landing?

Prior to starting this thread - I tried turning off all these features - nothing worked for me. Only solution was to turn off the downwards VPS fully.

I'm glad some of you are having luck with just turning off the precision landing
2017-1-7
Use props
fans749b7088
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545948 ft
Singapore

Hello - I'm new to drone flying and received my Mavic last week. After unpacking and updating the firmware, I went outside and already during my first flight I noted that the Mavic was automatically ascending.

While awaiting the delivery of my Mavic, I read a lot about drone flying and watched numerous videos about the Mavic. As I deliberately took baby-steps to start learning to fly the Mavic and read a lot of material upfront, I know the automatic ascend wasn't normal behaviour, hence I took it down to land immediately. The behaviour repeated in my second and third practice flights, where I decided to read more online and found this thread.

After reading this thread I turned off the Downward VPS functionality* and since then the Mavic flies amazingly and finally starting up to build up some trust. Yesterday I did my first flight without Beginner mode ;-) and today took it for a longer distance flight. All without a single problem... but without Downward VPS.

* Visual Navigation Setting --> Advanced Settings --> Enable Vision Positioning (turned off)

It's very unfortunate, but I hope DJI fixes this soon. Many people face this problem and it must have something to do with the Downward Vision Positioning (and especially the two ultrasonic sensors as e.g.upon every return to home landing, even with the Downward VPS turned off, I get the 'Locating Landing Point' and 'Ground Plain. Safe to Land.' messages (which I believe is controlled by the downward facing cameras rather than the ultrasonic sensors).

Anyway... hope for a firmware update soon...
2017-1-8
Use props
sukoshi
lvl.2

France

http://forum.dji.com/thread-79476-1-1.html

I'm experiencing this since day 1, when i received the mavic back in november. I opened a ticket @ DJI Support in Europe (387792) i'll share all DAT files i got as soon as i have a reliable internet connection.

DJI-Ken, DJI-Mindy, may i share those with you?
2017-1-8
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

fans749b7088 Posted at 2017-1-8 02:26
Hello - I'm new to drone flying and received my Mavic last week. After unpacking and updating the firmware, I went outside and already during my first flight I noted that the Mavic was automatically ascending.

While awaiting the delivery of my Mavic, I read a lot about drone flying and watched numerous videos about the Mavic. As I deliberately took baby-steps to start learning to fly the Mavic and read a lot of material upfront, I know the automatic ascend wasn't normal behaviour, hence I took it down to land immediately. The behaviour repeated in my second and third practice flights, where I decided to read more online and found this thread.

Rather than disabling VPS completely, you could try just turning off "Landing Protection" as I suggested here:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=436845
2017-1-8
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Singapore

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-8 03:13
Rather than disabling VPS completely, you could try just turning off "Landing Protection" as I suggested here:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=77495&pid=632440&fromuid=436845

Happy to try that... but where can I find the 'Landing Protection" option?
2017-1-8
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-1-8 04:05

If you're using ios "landing protection" does not exist. I'm about to go and experiment with turning of precision landing which I'm guessing is the ios version of "landing protection"
2017-1-8
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-1-8 04:05

For me on Android, It's under Advanced Vision Settings, just below "Enable Downward Positioning System" and above "Precision Landing"
2017-1-8
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-8 05:16
If you're using ios "landing protection" does not exist. I'm about to go and experiment with turning of precision landing which I'm guessing is the ios version of "landing protection"

I didn't realize that iOS doesn't have the option. It's not, however, the same thing is "Precision Landing." I have both options in Go 4 on my Android. If I disable Precision Landing, it does not prevent my Mavic from ascending if I place my hand under it.
2017-1-8
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-8 05:24
I didn't realize that iOS doesn't have the option. It's not, however, the same thing is "Precision Landing." I have both options in Go 4 on my Android. If I disable Precision Landing, it does not prevent my Mavic from ascending if I place my hand under it.

I can report back that turning off the precision landing in ios seems to have stopped the VPS issue.... I turned off VPS completely but the amount of up and down drift was unacceptable. turning off precision landing ment that VPS remained on and I didn't have any weird VPS prang outs and there wasn't vertical drift. A possible fix till DJI figure out the problem
2017-1-8
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-8 07:53
I can report back that turning off the precision landing in ios seems to have stopped the VPS issue.... I turned off VPS completely but the amount of up and down drift was unacceptable. turning off precision landing ment that VPS remained on and I didn't have any weird VPS prang outs and there wasn't vertical drift. A possible fix till DJI figure out the problem

Cool. This'll be useful to know for anybody else having the VPS issue and using iOS.

It is annoying that the Android and iOS apps are so inconsistent, though.
2017-1-8
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5409711 ft
  • >>>
United States

Those of you who turned off the precision landing.. are you still using the DJI Go ap or on Litchi?

Going to give this a try.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Do you have a case or ticket#?
I looked at your Dropbox links and they are all not working now.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans749b7088 Posted at 2017-1-8 02:26

Can you upload your DAT and vision files of the last flight to Dropbox and post the link here.
Also, if you start a ticket or case, please provide the number.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sukoshi Posted at 2017-1-8 02:53
http://forum.dji.com/thread-79476-1-1.html

I'm experiencing this since day 1, when i received the mavic back in november. I opened a ticket @ DJI Support in Europe (387792) i'll share all DAT files i got as soon as i have a reliable internet connection.

Yes, please post the DAT and Vision module files and I will forward them on.
Also, post the ticket# again when you post.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-8 07:53

Have you started a ticket or case# to send the aircraft in for evaluation?
2017-1-8
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 20:34
Have you started a ticket or case# to send the aircraft in for evaluation?

I haven't, should I do this and if so whats the method of opening such a case? The reason I ask is that I'm assuming this is an issue that might be fixed by an app/firmware update

I bought the mavic form a retailer in the U.K, would it be wise not to send it back to them?
2017-1-9
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 20:31
Do you have a case or ticket#?
I looked at your Dropbox links and they are all not working now.

I have just raised the case "CAS-400246-R8N7P7"

Just checked my drop box and all the links below work fine

This is a picture of the location i fly
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3zucc ... 105_121424.jpg?dl=0

This is what my dj assist app looks like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6ewss ... 2012.33.11.png?dl=0

30 seconds in it says "Descending. Exiting visual avoidance system". This is where it's screwed up
This is for the flight that has no vision module file. Unsure why i do not have one

This is the top two flights from the dji assist app inc the one vision.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmeds7 ... 5_12-32-46.DAT?dl=0

Also everytime i turn the mavic on it creates a new flight? The issue is i don't have a vision log for the actual flight.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/be8vg4 ... 2012.45.27.png?dl=0
2017-1-9
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 20:33
Can you upload your DAT and vision files of the last flight to Dropbox and post the link here.
Also, if you start a ticket or case, please provide the number.

Alright, by the looks of it, we have many Mavic owners with the same problem. Hence, maybe the following is a good summary of the problem, observed behaviour, possible cause and an interim / temp solution.

Mavic Pro Automatically Ascends Without User Input

Problem description: In mid-flight (at any random current altitude) the Mavic automatically and continuously ascends without any user input (i.e. stick input, app input, etc.). A typical response of users is to stop the continuous ascend by holding the left remote controller stick down which forces the Mavic after 3 seconds into a 'Forced Landing' mode.

Observed anomaly: Remote controller and DJI GO app indicate suddenly a change of the ground clearance to a value 'very close to the ground'-value (e.g. 0.1 meters/ft) while the Mavic is still in mid-air. In reality, the ground clearance did not change and remained stable.

Possible cause: Mavic ultrasonic sensor data is misinterpreted by firmware / software resulting in a sudden change of ground clearance value. This sudden 'very close to the ground'-value triggers the Downward VPS mechanism of the Mavic to ascend to avoid collision with the 'ground'.

Interim / temp solution: Turn off a part of the VPS mechanism, which can be done by:--> For iOS users: disable the Downward Facing VPS (found under Visual Navigation Setting --> Advanced Settings --> Downward Facing VPS / Enable Vision Position' --> turn setting to 'off' / 0)
--> For Android users: disable the "Landing Protection" option (found under 'Advanced Vision Settings' -> just below 'Enable Downward Positioning System" and above "Precision Landing". Note: such setting is not present in iOS and only the entire Downward Facing VPS can be turned off.

@DJI-Ken: I'm a bit hesitant to open a ticket and potentially trigger a RMA for my Mavic as I strongly believe this is a firmware issue (due to the high number of problems reported here after the latest firmware update). For me, this is my first drone and after disabling the Downward Facing VPS the Mavic doesn't show this problem anymore. After waiting for 6 to 7 weeks of delivery time of the Mavic, it's now for me time to try out the Mavic (even when this means disabling part of the VPS). I trust DJI will update the firmware to fix this bug very soon. If this wouldn't be the case, I might trigger the RMA at a later stage.
2017-1-9
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-1-9 05:15
Alright, by the looks of it, we have many Mavic owners with the same problem. Hence, maybe the following is a good summary of the problem, observed behaviour, possible cause and an interim / temp solution.

Sounds like a good summary. I might just add that according to at least one user (iPurvis), iOS users can also solve the issue by just disabling  "Precision Landing" without turning off the whole downward VPS.
2017-1-9
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

I haven't even been able to fly my bird more than once and although I didn't notice any issues in that 3mins, I will be disabling the VPS for safety reasons until a firmware update can address the issue. I might just disable all sensors until they get things ironed out.
2017-1-9
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Singapore

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-9 05:51
Sounds like a good summary. I might just add that according to at least one user (iPurvis), iOS users can also solve the issue by just disabling  "Precision Landing" without turning off the whole downward VPS.

Hi @Jason_Lane and @iPurvis, are you guys able to indicate where the 'Precision Landing' option can be turned off by itself instead of the whole Downward VPS in the iOS version of the DJI GO app? I can't seem to find it and would be keen 1) to try it myself to only turn off 'Precision Landing' and 2) to update the summary I prepared earlier.
2017-1-9
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-1-9 06:27
Hi @Jason_Lane and @iPurvis, are you guys able to indicate where the 'Precision Landing' option can be turned off by itself instead of the whole Downward VPS in the iOS version of the DJI GO app? I can't seem to find it and would be keen 1) to try it myself to only turn off 'Precision Landing' and 2) to update the summary I prepared earlier.

I'm afraid I don't currently have an iOS device.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-9 03:07
I have just raised the case "CAS-400246-R8N7P7"

Just checked my drop box and all the links below work fine

Thank you very much, all the links are working now and I've forwarded it on.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

If you start a case and sent it in, they will send you a replacement.
If you do contact support, please post your case#.
2017-1-9
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-1-9 06:27

Hi, go into advanced settings in the sensors menu, should be below the disable/enable vps settings.
2017-1-9
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 06:49
Thank you very much, all the links are working now and I've forwarded it on.

RMA a drone? what to return?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-79662-1-1.html
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-9 07:49
RMA a drone? what to return?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-79662-1-1.html

I responded to your new thread.
2017-1-9
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

@DJI-Ken

Should everyone experiencing VPS issues begin an RMA?
2017-1-9
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

@DJI-Ken

Should everyone experiencing VPS issues begin an RMA?
2017-1-10
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Singapore

Would be indeed curious to hear whether all users with the same VPS problem are required to send in their Mavics. This would almost be the equivalent as a significant recall.

I'm still putting my hopes on the next firmware or app update to fix this issue.

@DJI-Ken: any thoughts?
2017-1-10
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I can comfortably say that using Litchi seems to have solved the strange VPS/collision/auto land/drift upward issue that I was having.    I've done several flights now with no repeat of the problem.   I will now go back to DJI GO and see if I get a repeat of the problem just to triple check.
2017-1-10
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

After using the Litchi app and not being able to reproduce the problem -- I also strongly suspect a software problem.
2017-1-10
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-6 06:06
It should fly over snow, that shouldn't be an issue. There's something wrong with some mavics and everyone is trying to figure out why. Personally I think the problem lies with the DJI go 4 app.

R&L,  I'm sure you've been flying with Litchi for a good week or so now.    Have you had any repeat of the problem that you were having with DJI Go?   

I've done several flights with Litchi and it's working perfectly so far.
2017-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules