Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlameBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105558 ft
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-16 04:20
I got my Mavic in late december, problems started in early January, literally a week out of the box and after the latest firmware, I had no fly time prior to the new firmware so can't comment on anything beforehand.

My problems are currently intermittent, last 2 flights were perfect, not yet had a chance to test since last week, but like many are saying, I'm gonna wait and see if a firmware sorts out the problem and if not I'll start an RMA

I was on the firmware that was released before Christmas for about 3 weeks.

The issues then started to happen.

I then upgraded to latest firmware that came out and still had same issue.
2017-1-16
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-16 04:45
I was on the firmware that was released before Christmas for about 3 weeks.

The issues then started to happen.

Did you RMA yours? Any reports?
2017-1-16
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-16 05:44
Did you RMA yours? Any reports?

Yes
"Remark:  Warranty, no sport mode available and the VPS sometimes stops working. "

It's currently at
"It will take 2-3 working days for repair and test. Please wait patiently. "

2017-1-16
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3773 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Sent it twice, still not received?
2017-1-16
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-16 01:02
Hi JootBoZ,

Someone has already done a firmware downgrade and there is a video of the problem occuring when using the controller with no phone or tablet. And also considering this isn't happening to all mavics it would suggest a certain batch of faulty hardware within the drone itself.

I agree to a certain extent, please remember that there is still a lot of software involved in just using the Controller itself without the app. An update could remedy it if it is a software error.

However, as you point out, if only a certain segment of mavic users has this problem, then a hardware error is more likely. Software affects all, hardware some.
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2017-1-16 06:26
Sent it twice, still not received?

Got it, thanks.
2017-1-16
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319514 ft
Canada

Delsonrus Posted at 2017-1-13 15:38
That's too bad, but hopefully DJI-Ken will help!
The online status is 'Under repair' right now and it has been for the last couple of days.
Regarding logic board -- they sent me an email with invoice and there was a statement about logic board replacement. Which status do you have right now for your case?

My case is still in the product received status - which as per UPS has been since Jan 6th
2017-1-16
Use props
WilliamDJI
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-13 07:59
I'm sorry about that, what is the case# and I will contact the repair center.Also, can you please remove DJI from your username. It is not allowed, thanks.

Thanks Ken! I just PMed you
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WilliamDJI Posted at 2017-1-16 07:29
Thanks Ken! I just PMed you

Got it, thanks.
2017-1-16
Use props
fansbcbcf80d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

same issue((( and the second issue on my drone is red Hot spot in the center of photos/videos!
2017-1-16
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

William, since this thread has become the "go to" source of information for people experience these VPS issues, I think it would be good if you could update your original post to include the current findings, recommendations, and workarounds. The thread has gotten quite large, and I'm sure many of the newcomers don't wanna sift through all the posts looking for their answers.
2017-1-16
Use props
iso7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

@DJIKen:  I sent you a PM regarding a case I have open that I don't seem to be getting any updates on, including ref numbers.  Original case was logged 15 days ago, and still no idea how to get it resolved.  It's the same VPS issue as everyone on this thread has reported.  If you could look into this case and provide an update I would be most grateful.
2017-1-17
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

Have you tried the simulator? Check if the problem persists in the simulator, I find that when I want to configure controls and the sticks, I try it out in the Mavic Simulator which is sooo useful, when you open the DJI Go App, before you click on the camera view, there is a small box on the right top side of the screen which gives you more options, click simulator but your aircraft has to be connected to the remote, so basically like as if you are about to take flight. Enter the simulator and give it a burn, I assume the simulator is up to date with the Mavics flight behaviour.  
2017-1-17
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Still waiting on guidance as to whether this is hardware or software.    I didn't fly the Mavic this weekend even though I was in a place I really wanted to because of these issues.
2017-1-17
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-16 01:02
Hi JootBoZ,

Someone has already done a firmware downgrade and there is a video of the problem occuring when using the controller with no phone or tablet. And also considering this isn't happening to all mavics it would suggest a certain batch of faulty hardware within the drone itself.

I had a few bugs with forced landing before the firmware update on 12/26 but it only happened once or twice. Since the firmware update, the pause before landing has stepped working about 50% of the time. Also had a complete loss of ability to descend during a flight at well. Turning off VPS fixed this but this never happened before.

I'm leaning towards firmware.
2017-1-17
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 08:02
I responded to your new thread.

Hi Could you tell me what they have fixed?

My case number is CAS-400246-R8N7P7

Thanks
2017-1-17
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-17 06:34
Still waiting on guidance as to whether this is hardware or software.    I didn't fly the Mavic this weekend even though I was in a place I really wanted to because of these issues.

Saw this in another thread on the issue:

"braddahjosh808
Hobbyist
+ Add Friend
Personal Message
United States
48#
I had the same issue with my mavic force landing at 400ft when trying to descend. So I sent my Mavic in for RMA and just received notice that repairs have been completed and will be shipping back to me within 3 business days. On the repair ticket it shows that the Flight Controller ESC Board had to be replaced. For those with similar issues I suggest sending in your mavic for RMA since it looks like there is a hardware issue and can't be resolved with a firmware update."

Ive had the problem since day one, through all firmware updates.

It is a hardware problem. I requested a RMA today.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-17 06:58
Hi Could you tell me what they have fixed?

My case number is CAS-400246-R8N7P7

They've swapped out your Mavic and your old one is being sent to R&D.
2017-1-17
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

JegerLars Posted at 2017-1-17 07:34
Saw this in another thread on the issue:

"braddahjosh808

Ugh.   I was afraid of this.     Bad batch of boards?
2017-1-17
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-17 07:50
They've swapped out your Mavic and your old one is being sent to R&D.

How does someone in the UK begin an RMA? I've looked through on the normal site and alas I'm lost
Flight today produced another VPS issue and I really wanted to use active track....
2017-1-17
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

hmm...per my post from yesterday i am having a similar issue:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80814-1-1.html

can we read this as DJI believing this is a hardware specific issue and not addressable via software/firmware?

for those having this issue, are these warranty replacements and free of charge or are these one of the two per year DJI care replacements and cost 79 for 1 of 2?

this is leading, but it must be the former, right?

thanks.

dave
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-17 09:09
How does someone in the UK begin an RMA? I've looked through on the normal site and alas I'm lost
Flight today produced another VPS issue and I really wanted to use active track....

You can use this link.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-1-17
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dnorm Posted at 2017-1-17 11:15
hmm...per my post from yesterday i am having a similar issue:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80814-1-1.html

the solution

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80948-1-1.html
2017-1-17
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tbh if my drone has gone to R&D it looks like they do not know what the issue is.
2017-1-17
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

thanks @iPurvis, will try this!

dave
2017-1-17
Use props
William_A
lvl.2
Canada

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-16 22:11
William, since this thread has become the "go to" source of information for people experience these VPS issues, I think it would be good if you could update your original post to include the current findings, recommendations, and workarounds. The thread has gotten quite large, and I'm sure many of the newcomers don't wanna sift through all the posts looking for their answers.

Will do  - please review the first post shortly and PM me if I missed anything to add!
Thanks!
2017-1-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-17 11:51
the solution

http://forum.dji.com/thread-80948-1-1.html

I can't figure out why with DJI go 4 my mavic is useless with VPS issues but with litchi it's rock solid even with everything enabled??????
2017-1-17
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-17 15:10
I can't figure out why with DJI go 4 my mavic is useless with VPS issues but with litchi it's rock solid even with everything enabled??????

I thought the same.    However Litchi started displaying the same issues after several flights without problems.
2017-1-17
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

Just received my Mavic days ago and conducted my first maiden flight yesterday and sad to say I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Was at 80m and wanted to come in to land, so I pulled down on the throttle and it immediately went into "Landing" mode, and as soon as I cancelled it out, it shot up to 180m! Took me awhile to regain control and manually bring it back to me.. I've since reset the firmware, gonna try another test flight to see how it goes.. I really really hope it's the firmware, but based on others' experiences, I don't think that's the case.
2017-1-17
Use props
fansbcbcf80d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Jit Posted at 2017-1-17 16:07
Just received my Mavic days ago and conducted my first maiden flight yesterday and sad to say I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Was at 80m and wanted to come in to land, so I pulled down on the throttle and it immediately went into "Landing" mode, and as soon as I cancelled it out, it shot up to 180m! Took me awhile to regain control and manually bring it back to me.. I've since reset the firmware, gonna try another test flight to see how it goes.. I really really hope it's the firmware, but based on others' experiences, I don't think that's the case.

Looks like its a firmware bug...Otherwise they should had fix it!
DJI please can you tell us what next? Wait for firmware? Or what?
2017-1-18
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

It's a real problem.   I have basically been looking at a $1000 brick for over a month.
2017-1-18
Use props
iso7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

Because of the number of people with this issue, I'd bet they are at least trying to figure out whether it's potentially possible to fix it through firmware rather than RMA lots of Mavics.  That's probably what their R&D are doing right now.

I've opened a case for this issue 16 days ago.  I've had very few updates from support about it, and they actually marked it as solved at one point.  I've since re-opened it, but not heard any further progress.  The only reason I'm not pursuing it more agressively is that it's winter here in the UK, and the weather is pretty abysmal so there is very little opportunity to fliy.  Every single time I have used the MAvic has resulted in the VPS bug though, I literally can't fly the mavic for more than a few minutes at a time before it goes into landing mode, and it's frequently increased it's altitude automatically to >120m (which is the limit I set in the DJI app).

It's frustrating to have spent so much money on this tech weeks ago, and still never really been able to use it properly due to this problem.  If it was the middle of UK summertime I'd be gutted about it tbh.
2017-1-18
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

If new units are arriving with the same problem, I'm not sure what sending it to repair will do.   They presumably have the same hardware/boards/replacement units as the ones that are currently being shipped.
2017-1-18
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545948 ft
Singapore

DJI-Ken - would appreciate an update from you on this topic. We're keen to get guidance from DJI on whether we await new firmware or whether we all will send our Mavics in for repair.
2017-1-18
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5409711 ft
  • >>>
United States

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-1-18 14:54
DJI-Ken - would appreciate an update from you on this topic. We're keen to get guidance from DJI on whether we await new firmware or whether we all will send our Mavics in for repair.

What he said.. I am planning on purchasing a second one and would like to know how they are thinking this will play out.
2017-1-18
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Dragonfly Photo Posted at 2017-1-18 20:03
What he said.. I am planning on purchasing a second one and would like to know how they are thinking this will play out.

Yep.   Would like to know too.   Right now I'm not flying much.   I'd like to know if I should be patient or send it in.    I'd like to get flying again soon.
2017-1-18
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

I've just done another flight this morning and it happened again. The VPS clearance indicator would intermittently change to 0.1m while my drone was up in the air, and due to the obstacle avoidance, it would start gaining altitude on its own to try to escape the virtual obstacle. Pulling down on the altitude stick would trigger the auto-landing sequence.

I then tried running some tests - I hovered at about 15m and waited for the VPS indicator to show 0.1m, and when it did happen, i triggered the auto-landing sequence, and it slowly descended till it reached the ground and rotors shut off. So those who are afraid that your drone might shut off in mid air, it most likely won't.

Turning off VPS solved the issue for me. Since it wasn't bothering to sense what was underneath, it did not enter landing mode, neither did it shoot up uncontrollably into the sky. However, you do lose ActiveTrack features, as well as the auto-land so you will be in full manual control of landing the drone, which can be a little difficult especially if you have a small space to land. Without VPS, the drone's hovering is also not as precise so it may dance around a little due to the upwash as it gets closer to the ground. What I did was turn off VPS, get relatively close to my intended landing zone, turned on VPS, and quickily initiated the auto land sequence before my drone started climbing too high.

DJI - PLEASE TELL US THIS IS A FIRMWARE ISSUE. I would hate to send my drone at this point..
2017-1-18
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United States

Could i ask has anyone changed the micro sd in the drone or are they flying with the standard one?
If you have can you state which card you fitted?
Also is the card full or not?
2017-1-19
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-19 02:12
Could i ask has anyone changed the micro sd in the drone or are they flying with the standard one?
If you have can you state which card you fitted?
Also is the card full or not?

Not sure how this would affect the drone, I'm currently using the one that came with the Mavic, I can swap it out for another one to test later in the week
2017-1-19
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-19 03:35
Not sure how this would affect the drone, I'm currently using the one that came with the Mavic, I can swap it out for another one to test later in the week

If you switch to a slower card it could be creating a buffer overrun as it can't write to the card fast enough.

Was just an idea
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules