Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Miok
lvl.1
France

Hi, same issue here, my mavic have the vps problem, it flew very good since I got it on christmas and the issue appears last week with no reason.

Very strange that there is v01.03.0300 but not release yet.

I'm on v01.03.0200 dji assistant don't tell me to update, neither dji go 4.

So, they solve the problem by sending brand new craft with new firmware in it ??? Weird....
2017-1-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just went online chat to start RMA and there are 78 people in line ahead of me, so I waited an hour. Finally got down to 5 people in line an got disconnected.
2017-1-30
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-30 09:52
I just went online chat to start RMA and there are 78 people in line ahead of me, so I waited an hour. Finally got down to 5 people in line an got disconnected.

I thought you were going to wait it out to the end of this week?
2017-1-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-12-26 17:20
William,

This is *exactly* the behavior that mine is showing.   100% exactly.   I will try disabling VPS tomorrow when I get the symptoms again.

I'm finally getting the VPS symptoms while using litchi and it's rather terrifying. No control, drifting towards some trees I had to give her full throttle up then stop litchi, then start go app. Finally got it back on the ground. I then went into the house and put on a clean pair of under shorts. I then decided to send it in for repair.
2017-1-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-30 09:54
I thought you were going to wait it out to the end of this week?

I am, I was just trying to get a feel for the process
2017-1-30
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-30 09:58
I'm finally getting the VPS symptoms while using litchi and it's rather terrifying. No control, drifting towards some trees I had to give her full throttle up then stop litchi, then start go app. Finally got it back on the ground. I then went into the house and put on a clean pair of under shorts. I then decided to send it in for repair.

I had a few good days with Litchi, and then it started in.  Haven't flown since.   I really noticed it when I tried a pre-planned flight and the craft arrived at the first waypoint and started moving forward and stopping and drifting back, over and over like it was stuck in a repeated loop.   I think it was getting those errant collision avoidance alerts and kept stopping itself.   

It scared me from trying to do ANYTHING other than fly around the house no farther than the beginner range.    It's a shame.  I want to either be enjoying this drone or spending that $1000 on something else.
2017-1-30
Use props
Miok
lvl.1
France

Well, I think we can fly disabling sensors, with the chinese new year we won't get any news untill next week...
2017-1-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Why is this Chinese New Year so long? And didn't the new year start a month ago?
2017-1-30
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 329961 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-25 22:57
Hi William, could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and send me the link?
Our engineers will help to analyse it.
You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.

Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but the VPS requires a pattern to work properly and the white snow might be "blinding" it.  In other words it can't determine where the ground is and the snow might not reflect the sonar properly.  Just an idea, but have you tried on concrete or a hard patterned surface?
2017-1-30
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Thailand

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-30 12:33
Why is this Chinese New Year so long? And didn't the new year start a month ago?

Chinese New Year follows the lunar calendar which is slightly different, so the new year isn't exactly aligned to what we're familiar with. And just like Christmas having 12 days, Chinese New Year actually lasts 23 days, with different countries observing different lengths of holidays.
2017-1-30
Use props
William_A
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319514 ft
Canada

An update from my end - I got my Mavic today! a bit more than a month later but a HUGE thank you to DJI_Ken for facilitating the process and being the only one to give me the correct information.
I did a quick minute long test flight - went to 30+ meters and down, without an issue. No VPS issue with the new UAV.
Out of 4 Mavics in total - only one had the VPS issue.
2017-1-30
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-1-30 12:40
Just a thought, and I could be wrong, but the VPS requires a pattern to work properly and the white snow might be "blinding" it.  In other words it can't determine where the ground is and the snow might not reflect the sonar properly.  Just an idea, but have you tried on concrete or a hard patterned surface?

I have no snow here in the deep south.  Having the issue every flight.
2017-1-30
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-30 17:48
I have no snow here in the deep south.  Having the issue every flight.

Ok. The posted video has snow....  Fortunately my Mavic has been running flawlessly since day 1.  
2017-1-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-1-31 05:34
Ok. The posted video has snow....  Fortunately my Mavic has been running flawlessly since day 1.

My mavic ran flawlessly for the first two months then out of nowhere the VPS issues started. The only thing I did before the troubles started was I switched from DJI go to DJI go4. I think my issues were caused by the go4 app.
2017-1-31
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-1-31 05:34

Mine ran flawlessly for about 3 weeks before it started.   It became progressively worse.   Now that I think about it, that makes me wonder if it is indeed hardware failure.    Software issues shouldn't suddenly appear and get worse.
2017-1-31
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-31 06:46
Mine ran flawlessly for about 3 weeks before it started.   It became progressively worse.   Now that I think about it, that makes me wonder if it is indeed hardware failure.    Software issues shouldn't suddenly appear and get worse.

Mine ran ok for a day, new firmware and dji go4 upgrade, then intermittent problems..... Make your assumptions.

All I know is that after talking with DJI, they wanted me to send in the Mavic, I haven't yet, waiting for firmware v01.03.0300, if the problem persists it'll be an RMA.

I suspect the firmware won't be a fix because if there an new drones already with the new firmware why has there not been a release yet, this coupled with vague answers from DJI-Ken saying both a "firmware update is a likely fix" along with "you can send it in for an RMA" leaves me with no confidence. Which is a shame but nothing much can be done about it.
2017-1-31
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

I wonder if they are slow walking this to avoid being swamped with repair RMAs.   
2017-1-31
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-31 10:22
I wonder if they are slow walking this to avoid being swamped with repair RMAs.

I'm not sure there would be a flood of RMA's, In reality there are only a handful of people on the forum experiencing problems with the VPS, I can't speak for other pilots that don't use this forum, but in comparison with all the other Mavic's without issues it's small fry....

That, and working out software with no bugs including testing etc etc, I'm sure it all takes time, plus there's the consideration of local holidays to be taken into account
2017-1-31
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
United States

My Mavic was delivered with v01.03.0300...  So maybe there is something to it..  Well, I'll let you know if mine starts to act up..
2017-1-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-31 10:40
I'm not sure there would be a flood of RMA's, In reality there are only a handful of people on the forum experiencing problems with the VPS, I can't speak for other pilots that don't use this forum, but in comparison with all the other Mavic's without issues it's small fry....

That, and working out software with no bugs including testing etc etc, I'm sure it all takes time, plus there's the consideration of local holidays to be taken into account

I think many people being new pilots and there mavic as there first drone don't know the difference, example, " look honey, when ever I pull back on the throttle it starts to land, isn't this drone smart? It automatically lands!!!!" Personally I think it's a widespread problem, there are reports on other forums and u tube.
2017-1-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think many people being new pilots and there mavic as there first drone don't know the difference, example, " look honey, when ever I pull back on the throttle it starts to land, isn't this drone smart? It automatically lands!!!!" Personally I think it's a widespread problem, there are reports on other forums and u tube.
2017-1-31
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5409711 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm in the "wait till the next firmware" camp. If that does not fix it then RMA for what will be my SECOND Mavic to send in..  Grrr
2017-1-31
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

Agreed. The same happened when the P2 and then P3 were released. Bugs everywhere, lots of suspicion and theories - and of course complaints. Higher reliability and stability levels only come with time. And realistically, never reach 100%. Not with a $ 1.000 R/C flying aircraft.

It´ll happen to any device early in its development curve. Not wanting to come out as apologetic or sheepish, but early adopters must learn to live and deal with these facts. And also with less-than-stellar customer support at some stages too. Instant gratification is a rare, rare commodity in the real R/C universe.
2017-1-31
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

I'm waiting to see what happens as well. I'm slightly thinking software due to my experiences so far.

My problems were worst just after sunrise one morning and was happening continuously and really struggling to get it down without disabling the sensors.

I've flown it a couple times since, on a low cloud morning and cloudy day and both times it has happened but been a lot lot better compared to that sunrise morning!

Not saying it's anything related to that morning but they were both cold, relatively moist mornings with only difference being clear skies and bright low sun
2017-1-31
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

thread follow post...as seen in my post here: http://forum.dji.com/thread-80814-1-1.html, i am certainly experiencing a similar issue and general VPS issues.  was flying in tahoe this past week and tested with VPS on and full down left stick (mode2) and it just stayed put with no vertical movement

dave

2017-1-31
Use props
FirstFly
lvl.2
United States

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but if you connect the drone to your PC and run the DJI Assistant, you can re-calibrate the VPS system and cameras.  Did you do that?
2017-2-1
Use props
Ivan7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118504 ft
Indonesia

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-30 01:39
Hi im on version 01.03.0300. My batteries are on 01.03.0200

How did you find the Mavic Battery Firmware?  I only see the Mavic and the Remote firmware versions.

Thanks
2017-2-1
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-2-1 07:24
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but if you connect the drone to your PC and run the DJI Assistant, you can re-calibrate the VPS system and cameras.  Did you do that?

Twice.. problem still persists
2017-2-1
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

FirstFly Posted at 2017-2-1 07:24

Also did this.  No effect.
2017-2-1
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105558 ft
United States

So who has RMA'd their drone now because of this?

Would be nice to know the numbers.
2017-2-1
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-2-1 23:02

I think it's only been you and one other atm.... I sense this is about to change soon as there seems to be frustration building
2017-2-2
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

I'll probably send mine in after mid-Feb when they are back at work and have started catching up on their backlogs. Till then, just flying with VPS off is working fine for me.

The only fear I have is that something else may be broken when they do send me a replacement. Too many reports here of problematic gimbals, hot spots in sensors etc.
2017-2-2
Use props
iso7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

I have started the RMA process, and got shipping labels allocated.  Going to send it tomorrow.  It does worry me a bit that there is a new firmware on all the new mavics that isn't available to general users yet.  If this firmware is the "fix", then I'm RMAing my drone for nothing.  On the other hand, I've had practically zero use out of the mavic since getting it just after christmas due to this fault.
2017-2-2
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

iso7 Posted at 2017-2-2 08:41
I have started the RMA process, and got shipping labels allocated.  Going to send it tomorrow.  It does worry me a bit that there is a new firmware on all the new mavics that isn't available to general users yet.  If this firmware is the "fix", then I'm RMAing my drone for nothing.  On the other hand, I've had practically zero use out of the mavic since getting it just after christmas due to this fault.

At this rate though, the turn around on a RMA maybe quicker than waiting for the firmware. Keep us updated
2017-2-2
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545948 ft
Singapore

I'm also waiting for DJI to pick my support case back up after their Chinese New Year case. I'm keen to send in my Mavic rather sooner than later. Although I kept flying with the VPS disabled, I simply want a Mavic which works flawless.

DJI-Ken, is there anything you can do to push my support case with higher priority?
2017-2-2
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-2-2 15:15
I'm also waiting for DJI to pick my support case back up after their Chinese New Year case. I'm keen to send in my Mavic rather sooner than later. Although I kept flying with the VPS disabled, I simply want a Mavic which works flawless.

DJI-Ken, is there anything you can do to push my support case with higher priority?

I understand that culturally a holiday is something you observe. But as a International Business this month off thing is full of the south side droppings of a north bound kangaroo.

To leave your customers in the dark for this amount of time is unacceptable. Want to take a month off in China? Fine. Have US operations take over the running of the business so that people are not left high and dry.

Bad form.

Just my .02
2017-2-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Wait a sec -- I thought they shut down just for a week.   I didn't know it was a month?

Oh yeah... and my drone is still a paperweight on my table.   Haven't used it in weeks because of this.
2017-2-3
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-2-3 07:27
Wait a sec -- I thought they shut down just for a week.   I didn't know it was a month?

Oh yeah... and my drone is still a paperweight on my table.   Haven't used it in weeks because of this.

If it is a week that is better. But I swore I heard they were down for longer.

Either way week or month.. still too long.
2017-2-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It last for 15 days from the 1st to the 15th of the first lunar month, I don't get that many days off in a whole year.
2017-2-3
Use props
JegerLars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3773 ft
  • >>>
Japan

I RMAd mine, just got it back. Havent gotten around to do any flight testing, but now it registers clearance well when I hold it in my hand.

However, what stings is that they aknowledged the problem was a hardware problem in the drone, from purchase. I still had to fork out 100 USD (!) to send it for repairs to the Netherlands - no refund......
I mean, I would gladly pay it if the error was because I crashed it, but DJI sold me a faulty product.

Some people mentioned they got extra propellers and whatnot - all I got was a fingerprint from a repair tech on my camera lens... Ah.. just bad DJI, just bad.
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules