Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Carey-L Posted at 2017-2-14 18:37
The drone has never been crashed.  It does have scrapes at the tip of one arm from walking down the hallway at my local junior high school and accidentally rubbing it against the wall.  If this is DJI's way of getting out of providing warranty it's a very dishonest way of doing business.  The VPS problems I sent the drone in for have absolutely nothing to do with those very cosmetic scrapes.

Put me down as one VERY VERY dissatisfied customer.  As you can see from this thread the VPS issue is not something I did but DJI is trying to blame me for it and therefor get out of their warranty obligations.  You yourself said send it in if you want to get it fixed and not wait fro firmware.  It's not the $79 it's the principle of it.  I've yet to get any analysis back as to what is actually wrong with the drone.  Simply an email wanting me to pay $79 my DJI care fee and wondering why then over a week later a comment over the phone that it's severely damaged which the picture show's otherwise.  Yes it has scratches a the end of one leg but not from crashing but from something totally unrelated to this issue at hand.

I've asked for the supervisor to review your case and let's go from there.
2017-2-15
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

Jit Posted at 2017-2-15 06:54
God that sucks. Before I even updated the firmware, I was thinking if that new sensor diagnostic test would actually brick our drones instead.. Looks like my worst fear came true in your case..

All calibrations worked except for the sensor calibration, I can't say I'm surprised
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jit Posted at 2017-2-15 02:31
Hi DJI-Ken, sad to report that my VPS issues still exist. It still detects ground 0.1m below the drone intermittently even when I'm high up in the air.

There is a new setting now called Landing Protection for iOS. Turning that off stops the drone from auto landing if I happen to be pushing down the throttle stick, but it comes down at a much slower rate, and the drone will auto ascend if left untouched.

OK, there may be a tiny amount of Mavics that the firmware will not help, in this case you will need to send it in for repair as it's probably hardware related.
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jit Posted at 2017-2-15 06:31
Once again I think it's the heat. The drone acted perfectly fine during the initial stage of my testing, before finally acting up while I was about 40% into my battery. It then got progressively worse after that, getting to the point where the VPS would no longer be intermittent, but show a constant 0.1m/0.2m in red at the bottom of my screen even if my drone was up in the air.

I turned off VPS, brought the drone down, swapped out batteries, and sent it up again after awhile. It was a cold and windy day so the drone cooled pretty quickly. Again, no issues initially. The VPS kicked in again as predicted, but this time a little sooner, most likely cos the drone was still warm from my previous flight.

I've reported this to R&D to see what they say.
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-2-15 06:40
Oi Ken, whats this about bruv? By that I mean, do you have an light to shed on this? after all, you did say the R and D needed plenty of drones in, which they've had to figure out what the problem is. So why no fix? Oh, thats right, cause all along its been a hardware problem

The firmware addressed it, but if yours still had errors then it's hardware.
So please contact repair and send it in. I am sorry about that.
https://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-2-15
Use props
Carey-L
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20390 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-15 07:33
OK, there may be a tiny amount of Mavics that the firmware will not help, in this case you will need to send it in for repair as it's probably hardware related.

And prepare to pay for the fix as well if there's any scratches on any part of the drone even though this is a manufacturer defect.

I'm calling in this morning to pay for the refresh against my better judgment but I look at it this way.  DJI made the call and in another saying "DJI made their bed now they have to sleep in it".  I want my drone back and if the replacement they send me has ANY visual defects I will be calling for another one.  If I were to be understanding and accept that it's a refurb then when/if it has to be sent in again for a manufacturer defect I will be in the same situation.

This is like buying a new car and the starter goes out but when you take it in they say oh your passenger door has a scratch in it so you will have to pay to get the starter fixed.

Beyond annoying!!!!!
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Carey-L Posted at 2017-2-15 07:39
And prepare to pay for the fix as well if there's any scratches on any part of the drone even though this is a manufacturer defect.

I'm calling in this morning to pay for the refresh against my better judgment but I look at it this way.  DJI made the call and in another saying "DJI made their bed now they have to sleep in it".  I want my drone back and if the replacement they send me has ANY visual defects I will be calling for another one.  If I were to be understanding and accept that it's a refurb then when/if it has to be sent in again for a manufacturer defect I will be in the same situation.

Don't pay for the Refresh yet, I'm trying to see what can be done.
I'm trying to help you here.
2017-2-15
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-15 07:38
The firmware addressed it, but if yours still had errors then it's hardware.
So please contact repair and send it in. I am sorry about that.
https://www.dji.com/service/repair

No worries. Shame it's had to come to an RMA, Thank you for the help
2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-2-15 07:54
No worries. Shame it's had to come to an RMA, Thank you for the help

I am sorry about that, at least you'll get it repaired and it will finally be resolved for you.
2017-2-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-2-15 07:26
All calibrations worked except for the sensor calibration, I can't say I'm surprised

That really sucks purvis, we waited all this time... I know you don't want to hear it but my mavrics 100% now. But anywho at least now you know...
2017-2-15
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-2-15 09:48
That really sucks purvis, we waited all this time... I know you don't want to hear it but my mavrics 100% now. But anywho at least now you know...

Glad yours is good, I'm only mildly annoyed but what can be done
2017-2-15
Use props
iso7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

I've updated, and after the new firmware it seems ok so far, plus no errors on the new sensor test.  I took it for a couple of flights at lunchtime just vertically up and down.  No VPS issues.  Also did the same thing later when it was dusk, no VPS issues.

I'm still not 100% this is fixed until I've had chance to take it for a big flight somewhere for an extended period of time.  It's such an annoying intermittent problem that I won't really trust it to be sorted until I've used it a few more times.  

Sorry to hear some people are still having the issue even after the new firmware.  As long as it's dry this weekend I should be able to do some proper testing and feedback on whether this has fixed it for me.  I really hope it's worked, because since buying the mavic just before christmas I have hardly used it due to the constant landing mode / VPS issue and it feels like a waste of money.  Hoping I will finally be able to get some decent flying done now.
2017-2-15
Use props
Carey-L
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20390 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-15 07:45
Don't pay for the Refresh yet, I'm trying to see what can be done.
I'm trying to help you here.

I paid it this morning as I want to get a drone back.  I received this email from support just a bit ago.

"That is from walking down the hallway at our junior high school carrying the drone and accidentally rubbing against the wall.  The drone has never been crashed." This is still a non-warranty repair. The craft would have to has been crashed as a result of a unit malfunction or defect. Damage incurred while not in flight is never covered under warranty.

For the concerns about the VPS and descent, we will replace the Mavic with a new unit if this invoice is paid.

My response was

You’re way off on this one.  I’m NOT asking you to fix the cosmetics.  But due to cosmetics you are refusing to honor your manufacturer’s warranty of the things that should be covered.   I’m asking to fix the VPS & camera issues that have been there from day one.  The VPS issue was VERY intermittent and only over the last 6-7 weeks got to a point where I can’t fly safely.  I shouldn’t have to have the drone crash  as your implying below in order to have an issue with it.

I paid the $79 earlier basically because I’m tired of dealing with your poor customer service and lack of understanding what a “warranty” should cover.  Please expedite the new one.

If DJI wants to do the right thing and honor that warranty then credit my money back or apply it to a store credit!!  Based on my experience so far I’m doubting that will happen so I’ve succumbed to the extortion that this is.

Thanks,

2017-2-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Carey-L Posted at 2017-2-15 15:20
I paid it this morning as I want to get a drone back.  I received this email from support just a bit ago.

"That is from walking down the hallway at our junior high school carrying the drone and accidentally rubbing against the wall.  The drone has never been crashed." This is still a non-warranty repair. The craft would have to has been crashed as a result of a unit malfunction or defect. Damage incurred while not in flight is never covered under warranty.

I'm still trying to see about this.
2017-2-15
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536768 ft
Singapore

Well, recalibrated by VPS sensors and took it up for another test flight this morning, with the VPS problem kicking in again midway through my flight. Looks like I'm starting that RMA.
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

So what happens when you try to do a landing, your app crashes, phone won't start up, the Mavic VPS can't be turned off without the app, and battery running low, are you SOL?
2017-2-15
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Singapore

bochen7 Posted at 2017-2-15 17:16
So what happens when you try to do a landing, your app crashes, phone won't start up, the Mavic VPS can't be turned off without the app, and battery running low, are you SOL?

You can still land with the VPS issues acting up as it will activate landing mode when you push the left stick down for a couple of seconds. since you mentioned that you are trying to do a landing, it's most likely within line of sight where you can guide it down.

The main problem here is that the VPS readings are causing the drone to land when you don't want it to, or to ascend if there is no input from the user. Landing is not an issue since, well.. the drone is ALWAYS wanting to land..
2017-2-15
Use props
Miok
lvl.1
France

Just to let you know, I did the update, i've done a one hour flight this afternoon, all seems to be fine now, the vps issue is gone, thanks Guys.
I'm sorry for those who still got problems, hope you'll find solutions quickly.
2017-2-16
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I did about a 15 minute flight last night.   No issues.   Further test this afternoon.
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jit Posted at 2017-2-15 20:35
You can still land with the VPS issues acting up as it will activate landing mode when you push the left stick down for a couple of seconds. since you mentioned that you are trying to do a landing, it's most likely within line of sight where you can guide it down.

The main problem here is that the VPS readings are causing the drone to land when you don't want it to, or to ascend if there is no input from the user. Landing is not an issue since, well.. the drone is ALWAYS wanting to land..

I would start an RMA, but if you can get the flight log from one of those flights and upload it to Dropbox and provide a link I will have R&D analyze it.
If you've already started the RMA, please provide the case#.
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-2-15 12:11
Glad yours is good, I'm only mildly annoyed but what can be done

What is your case# and I'll forward it to R&D so they can analyze it when it arrives at the repair center.
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iso7 Posted at 2017-2-15 12:16
I've updated, and after the new firmware it seems ok so far, plus no errors on the new sensor test.  I took it for a couple of flights at lunchtime just vertically up and down.  No VPS issues.  Also did the same thing later when it was dusk, no VPS issues.

I'm still not 100% this is fixed until I've had chance to take it for a big flight somewhere for an extended period of time.  It's such an annoying intermittent problem that I won't really trust it to be sorted until I've used it a few more times.  

If it hasn't dine it for short flights then yours is probably resolved. But let me know after the weekend of your flying.
And it's not a waste of money, the aircraft has a warranty so any issues will be resolved.
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Miok Posted at 2017-2-16 10:51
Just to let you know, I did the update, i've done a one hour flight this afternoon, all seems to be fine now, the vps issue is gone, thanks Guys.
I'm sorry for those who still got problems, hope you'll find solutions quickly.

That's great, thanks for posting.
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-2-16 12:00
I did about a 15 minute flight last night.   No issues.   Further test this afternoon.

That's great, is it resolved after your further testing ?
2017-2-17
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-17 07:33
What is your case# and I'll forward it to R&D so they can analyze it when it arrives at the repair center.

Hi Ken, My case number is CAS-438771-K4K9Z8

Currently still waiting on the UPS labels.... R&D interest won't delay my case will it?
2017-2-17
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

Just updated and tested mine... flew for 15 mins and no VPS landing problems, however...

@DJI-KEN... I was watching the controller on and off to check the height above ground to see if it was popping on and off at all and once (only seen once but might have happened more) the height above ground came on and said around 368ft, quickly went down to 348ft and then off again. Not really a problem for me but anything I'm not thinking off that would cause it. Was in sport mode at approx 250ft flying level at around 35mph.

Not too worried at this point and will certainly test fly some more to see what happens
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-2-17 08:34
Hi Ken, My case number is CAS-438771-K4K9Z8

Currently still waiting on the UPS labels.... R&D interest won't delay my case will it?

OK, thanks.
Ad no I don't think it would cause any delay.
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-2-17 09:27
Just updated and tested mine... flew for 15 mins and no VPS landing problems, however...

@DJI-KEN... I was watching the controller on and off to check the height above ground to see if it was popping on and off at all and once (only seen once but might have happened more) the height above ground came on and said around 368ft, quickly went down to 348ft and then off again. Not really a problem for me but anything I'm not thinking off that would cause it. Was in sport mode at approx 250ft flying level at around 35mph.

While in Sport Mode that may happen. If it does it just cruising then it could be something.
2017-2-17
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-17 10:31
While in Sport Mode that may happen. If it does it just cruising then it could be something.

Ok thanks. Have flown it for another 30 mins this evening in the dark and have had no other problems so looking good so far
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-2-17 13:51
Ok thanks. Have flown it for another 30 mins this evening in the dark and have had no other problems so looking good so far

That's great, thanks for posting.
2017-2-17
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-17 07:32
I would start an RMA, but if you can get the flight log from one of those flights and upload it to Dropbox and provide a link I will have R&D analyze it.

I've dropped a mail to DJI Support already. Just waiting for a response now. How do I extract the logs?
2017-2-17
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-17 07:32

Hi DJI-Ken, I figured out how to download the flight log. Now the problem is.. I get an endless loading icon when on the data upload screen. I don't see any flight logs at all..
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.34.37 am.png
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jit Posted at 2017-2-17 19:35
Hi DJI-Ken, I figured out how to download the flight log. Now the problem is.. I get an endless loading icon when on the data upload screen. I don't see any flight logs at all..

Sorry about that, don't use the Data Upload option. Use the Flight Data tab under it and wait a several seconds until the DAT files populate and from there you can choose the DAT file of the flight.
2017-2-17
Use props
Jit
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-17 23:37
Sorry about that, don't use the Data Upload option. Use the Flight Data tab under it and wait a several seconds until the DAT files populate and from there you can choose the DAT file of the flight.

When I click on the Flight Data tab, I don't get a loading screen. Just this a screen saying "Open Data Viewer". If I were to click on the button, it brings me to another screen which I'm totally clueless about. I'm pretty sure the screen i need to get to is the Data Upload tab as that one looks the same as per DJI's video on how to export flight logs.

I did notice though, that when I plug my Mavic in, 2 external disks show up, and one of them contains a lot of DAT files which I assume are the flight logs. Problem is, I have no idea which one is the flight log I want to show to DJI..

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 3.52.58 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 3.55.28 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 3.59.22 pm.png
2017-2-17
Use props
JoostBoZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545948 ft
Singapore

Finally time for a first test flight after the firmware upgrade this morning. Unfortunately the VPS problem isn't fixed for me and the VPS indicator still shows from time to time 0.1m... Such a shame... :-(

I agree with some of the others here that this might have to do with heat. Like user Jit, I'm also flying in Singapore (I noted the Singapore Marina Barrage on Jit's screenshot), where humidity is constantly high (80 - 95%) and temperatures are averaging every day between 27 - 33 degrees Celsius. After a 20-25 minute flight the battery temperature tops to 50+ degrees Celsius. Could heat affect the VPS functionality?

@DJI-Ken: your colleagues already very nicely assisted me over email prior to the firmware upgrade to send my drone in for repair. As I'm going on vacation in a few weeks I'm afraid that the drone wouldn't return in a timely manner. I have a case no. and I'm wondering if you could assist in anyway to expedite the repair if so would send it in.
2017-2-18
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Full flight #2 and no issue.   I'm not going to be convinced it's fixed until I get to flight -- like maybe 20 or so.      So far so good.
2017-2-18
Use props
iso7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

Just want to report that the new fw does appear to if completely fixed the vps issue for me. In addition to the earlier 3 quick flights in the week, I was able to take it out for 2 extended sessions today, once this morning and another in the last hour and a half. Both sessions involved depleting all 3 batteries and using a variety of flight modes including sport. The VPS issue did not occur at all throughout the entire session and the mavic flew perfectly. So happy it's finally working properly.
2017-2-18
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-17 10:31
OK, thanks.
Ad no I don't think it would cause any delay.

Hi Ken.

Just letting you know that I've decided to return the Mavic to it's point of sale for a full refund rather than RMA'ing through DJI, It seems that there are many ongoing faults with the Mavic other than just this VPS issue and I'd rather wait till the bugs are ironed out rather than risk getting either a refurbed drone or one with any of the faults that are presenting themselves right now. If you want the serial number of the Mavic for R&D let me know as I've got a picture of it and can send
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jit Posted at 2017-2-17 23:56
When I click on the Flight Data tab, I don't get a loading screen. Just this a screen saying "Open Data Viewer". If I were to click on the button, it brings me to another screen which I'm totally clueless about. I'm pretty sure the screen i need to get to is the Data Upload tab as that one looks the same as per DJI's video on how to export flight logs.

I did notice though, that when I plug my Mavic in, 2 external disks show up, and one of them contains a lot of DAT files which I assume are the flight logs. Problem is, I have no idea which one is the flight log I want to show to DJI..

Don't click on the open data viewer and just wait until the screen populates. But your 2nd screenshot shows the log. It would be the large ones that are flights.
upload one of those to Dropbox then provide the link.
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JoostBoZ Posted at 2017-2-18 00:59
Finally time for a first test flight after the firmware upgrade this morning. Unfortunately the VPS problem isn't fixed for me and the VPS indicator still shows from time to time 0.1m... Such a shame... :-(

I agree with some of the others here that this might have to do with heat. Like user Jit, I'm also flying in Singapore (I noted the Singapore Marina Barrage on Jit's screenshot), where humidity is constantly high (80 - 95%) and temperatures are averaging every day between 27 - 33 degrees Celsius. After a 20-25 minute flight the battery temperature tops to 50+ degrees Celsius. Could heat affect the VPS functionality?

If you are going on vacation in a few weeks then I would wait until you return. The turn around time may not be enough time to get back to you before you leave.
2017-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules