Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

It looks like a lot of the problems in this thread are not with the VPS but with the environment people are trying to fly in..... as stated in the manual the VPS won't work correctly in pure white(snow) environments.

So if you are flying in the snow and having VPS problems ... it's most likely not a glitch or an issue with the mavic ..... it's just beyond the limitations of the mavic VPS. This can easily be established of course ... by testing the mavic in an environment the VPS supports to see if the problem persists.

For people having the same issue who are not flying in the snow, i wonder if they are all flying in a cold environment ? Could it be fog or condensation forming on the VPS camera's ?  Would windscreen anti fog work if this was indeed the case ... although i'm not sure it would be recommended to use on a camera lens.
2017-1-5
Use props
fans707604b2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-5 11:46
It looks like a lot of the problems in this thread are not with the VPS but with the environment people are trying to fly in..... as stated in the manual the VPS won't work correctly in pure white(snow) environments.

So if you are flying in the snow and having VPS problems ... it's most likely not a glitch or an issue with the mavic ..... it's just beyond the limitations of the mavic VPS. This can easily be established of course ... by testing the mavic in an environment the VPS supports to see if the problem persists.

I was under the impression that the V(ision)PS is only active until about 20 metres, at which point the sonar takes over for ground clearance detection.  I experience this issue in:

Bright sunlight
Non-snow
Detailed textured terrain environments
High altitude

the mavic is also designed to work fine at night with no VPS capability at all.

For all these reasons, I don't believe this problem is anything to do with light levels or snow.

It sounds like some mavics have slightly glitchy sonar (ultrasound) sensors to me, but I'm certainly no expert.  If the litchi app completely cures this, then that points a finger squarely at the DJI GO 4 app itself and how it interprets the sensor data.  I'm kinda glad it's winter, as I can't really fly the drone in the week at all right now (don't want to fly it in the dark).  This would be a lot more annoying if it was summer.

Interesting point about temp though.  Maybe this is all temp related.  People started seeing this at the start of December 2016 on these forums.

2017-1-5
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Simply not true.   Every one of us has tested and tried it in multiple light environments, everything from cold to here in Alabama where it's 55 degrees, and over everything from fields to water.    Happens no matter what.
2017-1-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans707604b2 Posted at 2017-1-5 11:53
I was under the impression that the V(ision)PS is only active until about 20 metres, at which point the sonar takes over for ground clearance detection.  I experience this issue in:

Bright sunlight

I flew 2 more batteries today using litchi, no VPS errors. On the 3rd battery I used DJI go 4 within a minute I had VPS errors at 300 feet high and it would not land.  I would have to say with great confidence that the VPS issues are in the go app, not the drone.
2017-1-5
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

There is one thing that I haven't been paying attention to:   relative humidity.     I'll try to do some tests in both dry and humid conditions.
2017-1-5
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105558 ft
United Kingdom

I get this all the time no matter the conditions. I once got it at 200 metres up :/
2017-1-5
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-5 12:28
I flew 2 more batteries today using litchi, no VPS errors. On the 3rd battery I used DJI go 4 within a minute I had VPS errors at 300 feet high and it would not land.  I would have to say with great confidence that the VPS issues are in the go app, not the drone.

Great to know.   Downloading Litchi now.   Heck -- I should get it anyway from what it sounds like.   Even if it doesn't correct my issues.
2017-1-5
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Litchi is £20
2017-1-5
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

Today I had what might be termed as the VPS glitch, Had the Mavic at 300ft or so, pulled down to bring the mavic lower and then got a "auto land" notification. Eventually, after a while the mavic came home, very slowly.
I was flying over Hampstead heath in London, fields, trees and ponds.... no monochrome colours

I tried a RTH, this didn't work at all, I did turn of obstacle avoidance, thinking that because the mavic was facing the sun when this happend that it might have been the issue, this didn't work. Just constantly holding down the left stick did the mavic come back to earth.
Swapped form dji go4 to old dji go, still had the problem on the next flight, thankfully at a much lower height.

Currently looking at the flight logs on healthy drones and the flights that had issues, although logged, have no information to see.... Wierd

Currently uploading dat files to dropbox, where should I link??

2017-1-5
Use props
Panamera 5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43917 ft
Canada

This thread is scaring the crap out of me
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfly Photo Posted at 2017-1-5 11:43
It would be nice to know if it is a hardware or software issue. But like it is now I can not trust it on the jobsite.

Depending on what "jobsite" means, I wouldn't think you would be using a Mavic for work.
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-5 11:14
30 seconds in it says "Descending. Exiting visual avoidance system". This is where it's screwed up

I see, it should say landing when the left stick is held down lower to the ground but you were 60ft up.
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-5 13:33
Today I had what might be termed as the VPS glitch, Had the Mavic at 300ft or so, pulled down to bring the mavic lower and then got a "auto land" notification. Eventually, after a while the mavic came home, very slowly.
I was flying over Hampstead heath in London, fields, trees and ponds.... no monochrome colours

Post the Dropbox link and also add the Vision module file of that flight. I will forward the link on.
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Panamera 5 Posted at 2017-1-5 13:57
This thread is scaring the crap out of me

It should not, you just always have to be prepared if you experience an issue. That's what makes a good pilot. If just reading this thread scares the #$% out of you then you will for sure panic if you experience an issue. You have to learn to keep calm and DON'T panic.
A beginner is far more likely to crash if there's an issue, a seasoned pilot will methodically think of the best way to resolve it and save the aircraft and possible injury to people.
2017-1-5
Use props
fans96f7fb10
New
Flight distance : 218862 ft
United States

I'm having the same problem
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans96f7fb10 Posted at 2017-1-5 14:23
I'm having the same problem

Can you explain in detail what exactly is happening in your case.
Also, sync your flight records and provide your email and I will take a look.
And download the DAT file and Vision Module file of that flight and upload to Dropbox and post the link here and I will forward it on.
2017-1-5
Use props
FlameBoy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-5 14:17
I see, it should say landing when the left stick is held down lower to the ground but you were 60ft up.

Yes thats correct.

Just before it starts to land the vps on the phone screen (bottom right) is red and says 0.1 and the drone starts to climb without any controller input. At that point i pulled down and the drone started to land 60 ft up. I cancelled the landing by pressing up with the sticks (this doesn't always work).

Also my vision module files are missing?
2017-1-5
Use props
DroneFotos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 397054 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Quick question is the VPS system in the Mavic not the same as that in the P4, P4Pro and Inspire 1 systems...???

If so, i am struggling to understand why snow is an issue, i fly for 4 months a year all on snow and have never had any issue with any DJI drone in snow...
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FlameBoy Posted at 2017-1-5 14:28
Yes thats correct.

Just before it starts to land the vps on the phone screen (bottom right) is red and says 0.1 and the drone starts to climb without any controller input. At that point i pulled down and the drone started to land 60 ft up. I cancelled the landing by pressing up with the sticks (this doesn't always work).

Yours is a strange one since your flight data recorder is not generating Vision Module log.
You've already done all the troubleshooting steps.
It may be time to send it in for evaluation.
2017-1-5
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5409711 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-5 14:14
Depending on what "jobsite" means, I wouldn't think you would be using a Mavic for work.

Is that a question?
2017-1-5
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-5 14:20
Post the Dropbox link and also add the Vision module file of that flight. I will forward the link on.

Should I expect a response from dji or is this just a helping things get fixed in a firmware update knida thing?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/as8e2u ... 5_19-10-58.DAT?dl=0
there should be three flights in the file, the last 2 are the ones that require attention.... all are quite short flights
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Edited to be correct.
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

iPurvis Posted at 2017-1-5 15:34
Should I expect a response from dji or is this just a helping things get fixed in a firmware update knida thing?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/as8e2u ... 5_19-10-58.DAT?dl=0
there should be three flights in the file, the last 2 are the ones that require attention.... all are quite short flights

I'm just collecting data for them. Can you get the Vision Module file too?
2017-1-5
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

£16.99 For IPhone or Ipad
2017-1-5
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-5 14:22
It should not, you just always have to be prepared if you experience an issue. That's what makes a good pilot. If just reading this thread scares the #$% out of you then you will for sure panic if you experience an issue. You have to learn to keep calm and DON'T panic.
A beginner is far more likely to crash if there's an issue, a seasoned pilot will methodically think of the best way to resolve it and save the aircraft and possible injury to people.

Exactly right.   When it happened to me the first time I was briefly startled but I aborted the auto-land immediately.  It started slowly drifting up so I started calmly testing it until I figured out I could 'snap the drone out of it's funk' by flying horizontally a bit and then it would start behaving normally again for a while.   Now it's an annoyance that I want fixed but it's nothing to be frightened about.    I'm prepared for it to happen every flight.
2017-1-5
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-5 18:12
I'm just collecting data for them. Can you get the Vision Module file too?

when I took them off the mavic in assistant, I checked both flight and vision files, are they not in the dat file? As mentioned before, when looking at healthydrones, the flights are logged but theres no info to see....
2017-1-5
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-5 22:10
Exactly right.   When it happened to me the first time I was briefly startled but I aborted the auto-land immediately.  It started slowly drifting up so I started calmly testing it until I figured out I could 'snap the drone out of it's funk' by flying horizontally a bit and then it would start behaving normally again for a while.   Now it's an annoyance that I want fixed but it's nothing to be frightened about.    I'm prepared for it to happen every flight.

But I'm sure you'd feel very differently if it happened the first time while you were filming a beautiful shot through a forest trail with over-hanging branches, and your Mavic suddenly ascended into the trees and crashed. Or if it started to descend and before you were able to realize what exactly was happening, it had descended behind a tree, building, or whatever and you lost sight of the aircraft, possibly even losing signal.

My point is, I don't think it does anybody any good to down-play the potential hazards of an aircraft that could ascend or descend on its own without user input. No matter how good or prepared you are, there are situations where things could end badly. Aircraft malfunctions should always be taken seriously.
2017-1-6
Use props
Dragonfly Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5409711 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-5 18:10
Edited to be correct.

Well it does say " Pro "

I wanted to use it as a back up for my P4 since it was so compact (i know it won't hold a candle to my I1P or S900) But I did expect it to at least not have errors like this. As such, until this gets resolved I don't need the hassle of working a problem like this while out.  Tarnish to the brand IMO and needs to be resolved.
2017-1-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFotos Posted at 2017-1-5 14:53
Quick question is the VPS system in the Mavic not the same as that in the P4, P4Pro and Inspire 1 systems...???

If so, i am struggling to understand why snow is an issue, i fly for 4 months a year all on snow and have never had any issue with any DJI drone in snow...

It should fly over snow, that shouldn't be an issue. There's something wrong with some mavics and everyone is trying to figure out why. Personally I think the problem lies with the DJI go 4 app.
2017-1-6
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-5 13:22
Great to know.   Downloading Litchi now.   Heck -- I should get it anyway from what it sounds like.   Even if it doesn't correct my issues.

I'm dying to know how Litchi worked for you?
If you and the other guy both confirm Litchi fixes the VPS glitch I think that would be enough for people to see that it's the GO4 app that's the problem and maybe save someone the hassle of sending theirs back.
So how's it working for ya?
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-5 22:10

That's great you are prepared in case of an issue.
I've seen so many crashes from the pilot going into a panic when it was easily avoidable.
2017-1-6
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

canadianairborn Posted at 2017-1-6 06:49
I'm dying to know how Litchi worked for you?
If you and the other guy both confirm Litchi fixes the VPS glitch I think that would be enough for people to see that it's the GO4 app that's the problem and maybe save someone the hassle of sending theirs back.
So how's it working for ya?

It's raining right now.   I hope to try it tomorrow when it clears up.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-6 00:23
But I'm sure you'd feel very differently if it happened the first time while you were filming a beautiful shot through a forest trail with over-hanging branches, and your Mavic suddenly ascended into the trees and crashed. Or if it started to descend and before you were able to realize what exactly was happening, it had descended behind a tree, building, or whatever and you lost sight of the aircraft, possibly even losing signal.

My point is, I don't think it does anybody any good to down-play the potential hazards of an aircraft that could ascend or descend on its own without user input. No matter how good or prepared you are, there are situations where things could end badly. Aircraft malfunctions should always be taken seriously.

I don't think anybody is downplaying it, just being prepared to calmly react to a situation is what I was talking about.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfly Photo Posted at 2017-1-6 05:39
Well it does say " Pro "

I wanted to use it as a back up for my P4 since it was so compact (i know it won't hold a candle to my I1P or S900) But I did expect it to at least not have errors like this. As such, until this gets resolved I don't need the hassle of working a problem like this while out.  Tarnish to the brand IMO and needs to be resolved.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. It will get resolved.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-6 06:06
It should fly over snow, that shouldn't be an issue. There's something wrong with some mavics and everyone is trying to figure out why. Personally I think the problem lies with the DJI go 4 app.

There can be an issue flying over snow as the manual states.
2017-1-6
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-6 07:01
It's raining right now.   I hope to try it tomorrow when it clears up.

Standing by...
2017-1-6
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Flew short mission of 10 mins.   No issues.   Will test more when rain breaks again.
2017-1-6
Use props
fans707604b2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51066 ft
United Kingdom

As long as it's dry weather tomorrow, I'll happily purchase Litchi on ios and do some testing then post results.  Knowing the UK though it will be pouring down with rain.
2017-1-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-6 07:07
There can be an issue flying over snow as the manual states.

The reason I say it should fly over snow is because my mavic flys perfectly over snow "if " I use litchi, when I try to use DJI go is the only time I get VPS errors, climbing on its own and its refusal to land.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-6 09:30
The reason I say it should fly over snow is because my mavic flys perfectly over snow "if " I use litchi, when I try to use DJI go is the only time I get VPS errors, climbing on its own and its refusal to land.

It's one of the limitations in the app.
If you use the GO app over snow then just disable the downward sensors.
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules