Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro Consistantly Losing GPS Signal mid flight
25086 116 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geoff29
lvl.1
Flight distance : 832310 ft
Australia

I had this happen today very frustrating has there been an answer to your problem yet ?
2017-7-22
Use props
Geoff29
lvl.1
Flight distance : 832310 ft
Australia

I have had the same problem did you get a result from the DJI analysis
2017-7-22
Use props
spaff33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411047 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans0f54eaf6 Posted at 2017-6-7 12:10
hi, i had the same problem i 18 sat and it went to 0 and flew side ways ,i thought it was a goner, but it recovered and i flown it since and it be ok ,but i worried that might happen again here's a video https://youtu.be/R_lnEqHSPQc

I had exactly the same this happen to me. I flew the drone twice from new and on both flights it seemed to have a mind of it's own.  On the second flight I really thought I was going to loose it. So I quickly landed it and swore never to fly it again. It's now being returned to Amazon.
2017-8-8
Use props
COBRA [project]
lvl.1
Flight distance : 742028 ft
Russia

The same thing happens to me(( DJI!!! You need to solve this problem! I have 2 p4pro, both loses GPS during flight! P3pro works well the same place. It can happen in 10 seconds after takeoff or in 2 minutes, but it happens to lots of phantom owners!
17 to 21 turns in 0 in 1 second, sometimes it can find some GPS during flight, sometimes - only after landing.
2017-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

COBRA [project] Posted at 2017-8-23 14:36
The same thing happens to me(( DJI!!! You need to solve this problem! I have 2 p4pro, both loses GPS during flight! P3pro works well the same place. It can happen in 10 seconds after takeoff or in 2 minutes, but it happens to lots of phantom owners!
17 to 21 turns in 0 in 1 second, sometimes it can find some GPS during flight, sometimes - only after landing.

A Phantom will normally not lose GPS unless you fly under cover.
If you mess up the compass, your Phantom will drop GPS data and the Phantom will be in atti mode which is the likely cause of many of the incidents above.
Without looking at flight data, no-one can tell what the issue is.
With an incident like these the first thing to do is to examine your flight data.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides if you need help with it.
2017-8-23
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

The problem that the P4P+ had today was the very first time there was a message of " Satellite positioning off. Fly with Caution. " After looking at the flight record there was no evidence of the GPS dropping below good to excellent, also this warning came up 3 times in less then 1 minute, I will look at the latitude/longitude readout and make sure nothing hokey happened during the messages time frame, if I see something off I will post it.
2017-8-23
Use props
COBRA [project]
lvl.1
Russia

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-23 15:07
A Phantom will normally not lose GPS unless you fly under cover.
If you mess up the compass, your Phantom will drop GPS data and the Phantom will be in atti mode which is the likely cause of many of the incidents above.
Without looking at flight data, no-one can tell what the issue is.

No problem - here is some logs from 2 different p4pro same place:
p4pro 1
p4pro 2
p4pro 3
p4pro 4
p4pro 5

Last 2 weeks we had about 30 or 40 same flights, different places.

And the same time the same place p3pro, like a boss :
p3pro 1
p3pro 2
You can see there is no GPS problem in this place, unfortunately I don't have log of mavic flying there same day - as p3pro no GPS problems.
2017-8-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

COBRA [project] Posted at 2017-8-24 01:05
No problem - here is some logs from 2 different p4pro same place:
p4pro 1
p4pro 2

I looked at a couple of those logs and they don't show any compass problems.
You have the GPS count drop instantly to zero and later it comes in and out with low numbers.
In a compass error induced atti incident, you can still see the full number of GPS sats even though the Phantom is ignoring GPS data.
It looks like you have a genuine drop in GPS which is probably caused by either a faulty GPS receiver or a faulty connection.
2017-8-24
Use props
COBRA [project]
lvl.1
Russia

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-24 02:28
I looked at a couple of those logs and they don't show any compass problems.
You have the GPS count drop instantly to zero and later it comes in and out with low numbers.
In a compass error induced atti incident, you can still see the full number of GPS sats even though the Phantom is ignoring GPS data.

I didn't say I have compass problems - the case is only about GPS failure. On both p4pro, p3pro works fine the same place. And it seems like there are lots of owners of p4pro with the same issue.
2017-8-24
Use props
COBRA [project]
lvl.1
Russia

DJI please respond! What's up with phantom 4 pro's GPS?
2017-8-25
Use props
DroneNor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89281 ft
Norway

I have the same problem in Norway with my DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Lost GPS signals today (again).  Are following this thread from December 2016, and hope for a solution soon.
I have totally 35 flights, and this happened four times for my drone, till now. I really start to get fear of flying. Please take this problem seriously, DJI. Reading this thread give no doubt: This looks like a problem.
2017-8-27
Use props
COBRA [project]
lvl.1
Russia

DJI could you please answer? Everything is the same - this tread is almost 1 year old - still no answers!
2017-9-1
Use props
Vasilis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 163658 ft
Greece

For me the problem is fixed with the newer firmware updates. I don't know which one fixed it but I don't lose the GPS signal anymore.
2017-9-12
Use props
StanislawRogals
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1509239 ft
Australia

I have had the same problem with my second Phantom 4 Pro, since yesterday... and now it does it within 5 mins of flight and loses GPS - Switches to Atti mode and wont change back, no matter what I do or try, that's while its in the air, mind you...

I noticed I had a strong 17 satellite connection signal and it still does it. I've tried a few areas atleast 11 kms apart, but is still doing it. I've had this drone since the beginning of August this year - 2017.

I tried doing the visual system calibration with my monitor and the drone plugged into the usb and also turning the drone sideways, it makes an awfully loud grinding and whining noise...

Definitely going to take this one back shortly, hopefully three times is a charm!.

DJI - It would help the community of loyal Phantom 4 pro owners, work out if they do need to send it back in or take it back to the dealer they purchased it from, or something else. This seems to be a common problem.

Is it the GPS unit? - I have flown in these spoits many times with my first P4 Pro, with no GPS issues what so ever.
2017-9-13
Use props
fans50af1ad7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 499183 ft
United States

StanislawRogals Posted at 2017-9-13 04:54
I have had the same problem with my second Phantom 4 Pro, since yesterday... and now it does it within 5 mins of flight and loses GPS - Switches to Atti mode and wont change back, no matter what I do or try, that's while its in the air, mind you...

I noticed I had a strong 17 satellite connection signal and it still does it. I've tried a few areas atleast 11 kms apart, but is still doing it. I've had this drone since the beginning of August this year - 2017.

Always send flight logs, never a solution. They act like we (pilots) are just doing something wrong or aren't aware of our  surroundings. I fly commercially and jump between two phantom 4 pro drones to get my work done. Both of them have very serious issues with loss of gps and "flight path will take me through a restricted fly zone". The loss off gps dropping below 5 satellites will 75% of the time result in a momentary loss of conrol and fly away event. Very scary inspecting cell phone towers at an orbit of 35'.  Both issues (gps loss and restricted fly zone) will terminate any intelligent flight mode active at the time. Very frustrating when trying to deliver a uniform product to our clients. I generally use orbit mode in  the go4 app and column flight in the new GSCpro. Both apps terminate missions with these two constant errors. Take us seriously DJI.  I will gladly send my flight logs to you knowing full well I will never see a solution derived from the observations. I have never, in four years of reading DJI posts or any other drone related posts for that matter, where someone has sent in their flight logs and tech responded back with any kind of narrowed down solution. Top 3 (and only 3) send it in, calibrate compass, calibrate IMU. I think we all know how to do these things and the functions they perform. These are serious safety issues that appear to be inherent and hard wired into the phantom 4 pro.  This needs to be top priority to you DJI, not a new color release of your old line-up. sure, paint the mavic. It doesn't seem to suffer from the same catastrophic failures. Please fix this. I need to work without crashing into infrastructure. Beginning to look elsewhere. Top Dogs get overrun when their legs start to fail.  
2017-9-13
Use props
fans50af1ad7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 499183 ft
United States

just a side note, I subscribe to foreflight and am always aware of the airspace in which I am operating. For the Go4 app to inform me that my 35' radius orbit will take me through a now fly zone is comical. Instant solution to that one...remove the pop-up. I Should work for you guys. I could be the pop-up terminator.   Oh ya, my next kill would be the high wind warning.   I'm standing in it, and before anyone says anything. Wind gets stronger as you go up. Still not beyond my ability to judge a truly high wind velocity vs a two mile per hour wind out of the west. Pop-up comes up in either situation. Another job for the terminator.
2017-9-13
Use props
Stach77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1509239 ft
Australia

Update: Have updated the last restricted flight area restriction that came up, also done a IMU and visual sensor calibration and have taken it out to fly just now... didn't seem to lose the GPS this time but now I have some shaky video footage... lol
2017-9-14
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

COBRA [project] Posted at 2017-8-25 05:48
DJI please respond! What's up with phantom 4 pro's GPS?

not very reliable either, we lost it and it never activated the RTH
2017-9-14
Use props
dcap
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

are you taking off of something metal, even a concrete slab will have metal (rebar) in it. i have had this problem before.
2017-9-14
Use props
COBRA [project]
lvl.1
Russia

"Great support", thank you, DJI!
2017-9-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Olivier Vietti- Posted at 2017-9-14 02:14
not very reliable either, we lost it and it never activated the RTH

That's the problem with RTH.
It doesn't work when you fly your Phantom into the water
2017-9-24
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Labroides Posted at 2017-9-24 13:19
That's the problem with RTH.
It doesn't work when you fly your Phantom into the water

I think you did not download the video in hiding and that you assume unexpectedly
2017-9-24
Use props
djiuser_xHZ86QC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105 ft
India

I got my drone checked from the authorized service center in india, they informed me problem is in gps module which is 2 months old. They rhen repaired the module as they informed me. The problem vanished for few days but appeared again. I keep facing this issue again and again but no permanent solution. I went to a local repair shop to discuss this issue, they informed me its because of faulty gps module.

I have spend INR 5000 already and local one is asking INR15000 more. The gps module is available on ebay for INR4000 though.

The issue i believe is faulty lot of gps module being supplied by DJI. This module is supplied to dji by blox. I guess dji is hiding this defective lot issue and we are suffering. Service center is making money out of it.
2017-11-25
Use props
fans1351c572
lvl.1
United States

To everyone... It is a gps/compass that fails or intermittently works... Its a problem waiting to happen... How do i know..? I just replaced the module and the drone works like new again... But i worried it's gonna fail at anytime while in the air and bye bye drone or worst yet hurt or kill someone...
2017-12-21
Use props
GRUAVP4pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1437 ft
United States

asdfadsfljk
2017-12-21
Use props
miah8000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 510374 ft
United States

I have been running into this for the last few months with my P4P. I recalibrated the compass but it had no positive effect. Since I am still covered by Refresh, I am sending it in for service. If I fly slowly, the GPS (13-17 connections) will stay solid but if I accelerate quickly or move abruptly, it loses the connection and switches to ATTI mode. If I hover for a few seconds, it sees the satellites and re-connects to all of them in about 15-30 seconds.

I thought it had resolved itself after the calibration so I took it out in the backyard, flew it up, all around, etc... no connection errors. Two days later, I took it to another location where it was pretty unpopulated, lots of trees, but I was flying well above them and it lost signal constantly. I use this professionally and can't risk losing it, having a flyaway or the possibility of damaging property (I shoot real estate with it). I ordered a refurb that arrived today. I am charging it now and will take it out and test it tonight. If it flies ok, then I am sending my original back for service.
2018-4-19
Use props
Stratcat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4283012 ft
Canada

I've had this issue since January. I decided to take it upon myself and figure out what was happening. It turns out that the power module (part 2) was the problem. I ended up reflowing the solder on the board and that solved all my gps disconnect issues. I haven't had a problem in 2 weeks now.

2018-4-23
Use props
fans87de0fe5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>

Stratcat Posted at 2018-4-23 05:50
I've had this issue since January. I decided to take it upon myself and figure out what was happening. It turns out that the power module (part 2) was the problem. I ended up reflowing the solder on the board and that solved all my gps disconnect issues. I haven't had a problem in 2 weeks now.

I use my P4P every week for commercial work. Mine has 35 hours of flight time on it and just started doing this two weeks ago. Now every flight, I lose GPS signal during flight. Nothing has changed about how I have been flying. I have tried calibrating the compass and always make sure to take off away from metal objects. Once in the air I often lose GPS sometimes for minutes at a time.  Mine is still under warranty so I plan to send it back. My Mavic Air and Inspire 2 never do this, only the P4P and only recently.
2018-5-18
Use props
Grumpy D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Curious, what is your location?
2018-5-19
Use props
fans87de0fe5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>

I am located near Fresno California. I fly in locations all over the central California area.
2018-5-22
Use props
Matthias80
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2601499 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Since the last flights I have this GPS problem too, my P4P is now about 1 year old. Latest firmware

The GPS initializeswithout problems, 15-17 satellites. After 2-3 minutes of flight the P4P goes to Attimode and loses its GPS.
Sometimes GPS signal comes back, sometimes I have to land and restart. Is there a reliable solution to this problem by DJI? ... does not seem to be an individual case
2018-8-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Matthias80 Posted at 2018-8-16 06:10
Since the last flights I have this GPS problem too, my P4P is now about 1 year old. Latest firmware

The GPS initializeswithout problems, 15-17 satellites. After 2-3 minutes of flight the P4P goes to Attimode and loses its GPS.

After 2-3 minutes of flight the P4P goes to Atti mode and loses its GPS.
It will be the other way around.
The Phantom loses GPS which leaves it in atti mode.
If your Phantom is up high in the sky (and you haven't screwed up the compass by launching from reinforced concrete or steel surfaces),  Ttis is not normal and is due to a hardware malfunction, either a bad component or a bad connection.

Is there a reliable solution to this problem by DJI? ... does not seem to be an individual case

Yes .. send it in for repair.
2018-8-16
Use props
Matthias80
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2601499 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-16 14:12
After 2-3 minutes of flight the P4P goes to Atti mode and loses its GPS.
It will be the other way around.
The Phantom loses GPS which leaves it in atti mode.

this takes too long. :-( I have replaced the gps module with a new one, works again without problems.
2018-8-20
Use props
Vanthek Soeung
New

Australia

I had my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 four days ago and since unboxing first flight GPS signal weak and lost. Can only distance 500-700 signal lost. Furthest was 2.8km yet this scares me to know that it does not consistently hold its distance. I was flying it and some how the drone shuts itself down. I think it’s due to loose battery compartment had it sent to DJI for inspections I’m not sure still what their outcome will be., I feel $2600 is a lot of money and really want this system to be reliable.
2018-8-29
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2016-12-31 09:47
Same happend to my brand new P4P today, gone after second flight, all went black after a short "weak gps signal" warning, then it just flew away.

Is it lost?  
2018-9-1
Use props
Julius Elcheikh
New

Australia

I have the exact same problem with my phantom 4 advanced and I have had the drone for about half a year now and it only started recently I don’t know why because I have updated all the dji software and always calibrate before flight. I bought it from jbhifi and I mite have to take it back and get it checked out.
2019-1-2
Use props
totoloz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230161 ft
Turkey

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/U6IXQZQJPHBNPPAAAEZ1/

can anyone advise please?
raise up to 35-40 meter and lose all GPS and turn to ATTI mode.
ı have been flyıng same place and same route last 2 years.

Thanks
2019-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules