2042 13 2016-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

So i get hold of this expensive product and right out of the box it start giving me problems. These videos taken with this Mavic is totally unusable.

When i fly sideways the horizon gets briefly tilted before it goes back to being leveled, this also happens when the Mavic start to move sideways from a stand still. There seem to be a problem with the yaw rotation as well in that way that when the Mavic comes to a stop after a yaw rotation it moves a bit back in the opposite yaw direction before it stops completely.
I have done gimbal calibrations and IMU calibrations and compass calibrations, but no luck. Even in beginner mode where the Mavic´s movements in smoother this problem is there.I have downgraded the firmware, and i have updated the firmware to the latest one, and also done the "restore factory defaults" in Assistant 2.
But still same thing.

It this something that i can fix or do i need to send my brand new unit to DJI and not see it for many weeks? As expected i am not happy at all, is this how a brand new product shall behave?
Any ideas is greatly appriciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tilted horizon problem:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DUWadyK_6Fdi1JaDZNT1hMXzA/view?usp=sharing

Yaw rotation problem:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DUWadyK_6FU0puczZqazdNQzg/view?usp=sharing

2016-12-24
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

Looks to me like a simple case of the Mavic dealing with windy conditions.
2016-12-24
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

I hope you are right, but the wind was "only" about 8 m/s (18 mph) when i filmed this, so i wonder if it is really about the wind? I i only could find a big enough indoor space to test fly it.

But since i also have a strange gimbal sound sometimes so i wonder if this gimbal is faulty?This gimbal sound can be heard when i rotate the Mavic in the Yaw axis when the Mavic is on but the motors off. And a couple of times i have heard it without touching the Mavic when it has sat still on the table when the gimbal does the initialization when the Mavic is turned on.

http://dai.ly/x564hjb

At around 0:07 seconds into the video.
[media=x,970,580][/media]
[media=x,970,580]

2016-12-25
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

18 mph is a fairly strong click for the Mavic. It can handle it fine but depending how it is turned into the wind it needs to fight it some by turning into it. That will obviously cause the slanted horizon - basic physics here.
I saw in your video that it was blowing a fair bit. I have been experimenting in various wind intensities and have observed the exact same.
For fun, take it up when it is windy like this again and fly a slow 360 degrees - you will clearly see it react to the different wind directions that are hitting it.

2016-12-25
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-25 13:32
18 mph is a fairly strong click for the Mavic. It can handle it fine but depending how it is turned into the wind it needs to fight it some by turning into it. That will obviously cause the slanted horizon - basic physics here.
I saw in your video that it was blowing a fair bit. I have been experimenting in various wind intensities and have observed the exact same.
For fun, take it up when it is windy like this again and fly a slow 360 degrees - you will clearly see it react to the different wind directions that are hitting it.

Thanks for your answer. I hope you are right.

But i thought that was what the gimbal is for...to keep the picture steady and leveled, up to a certain point of course?
2016-12-25
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2016-12-25 07:43

But i thought that was what the gimbal is for...to keep the picture steady and leveled, up to a certain point of course?

I agree, but I noticed that when a good wind hits it sideways that results in the Mavic hanging into it at an angle then there is only so much it can do.
Turn out of getting hit sideways and you will see the horizon getting back to level.
Again, basic physics at work as this small and relatively light craft reacts to the wind.
Other than a fairly strong breeze, I find that it handles windy conditions pretty good.
2016-12-25
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-25 13:32

2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry, I cannot access to your link. Could you please upload the video file to drobox and send me the link? I'll help to check it.
2016-12-26
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-26 13:10
Sorry, I cannot access to your link. Could you please upload the video file to drobox and send me the link? I'll help to check it.

I doubt this is normal since it is happening in light winds as well, and also if i remember correct DJI says dont fly in winds stronger than 10 m/s. Also if the wind knocks the Mavic to its side then shouldnt the gimbal counteract that so the picture keeps leveled? Im talking about lighter winds.

And i noticed also that this happens also directly when the Mavic starts moving sideways from a standing still, the horizon automatically gets tilted for a brief moment before the gimbal has time to adjust the horizon. Its just like the gimbal roll axis are to slow to react or something like that?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DUWadyK_6FT1FKcmtiSm1WVGM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DUWadyK_6FU0puczZqazdNQzg/view?usp=sharing

2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2016-12-28 07:59
I doubt this is normal since it is happening in light winds as well, and also if i remember correct DJI says dont fly in winds stronger than 10 m/s. Also if the wind knocks the Mavic to its side then shouldnt the gimbal counteract that so the picture keeps leveled? Im talking about lighter winds.
And i noticed also that this happens also directly when the Mavic starts moving sideways from a standing still, the horizon automatically gets tilted for a brief moment before the gimbal has time to adjust the horizon. Its just like the gimbal roll axis are to slow to react or something like that?

Are you on the latest firmware and have you done a gimbal calibration on flat ground.
Mine did that a few times and after I calibrated the gimbal it is fine now.
Also, make your stick inputs slow and if you are very abrupt with the sticks this may happen.
2016-12-28
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-28 16:29
Are you on the latest firmware and have you done a gimbal calibration on flat ground.
Mine did that a few times and after I calibrated the gimbal it is fine now.
Also, make your stick inputs slow and if you are very abrupt with the sticks this may happen.

Yes i have made gimbal calibrations several times and IMU calibrations and compass cal.
I have also both downgraded the firmware and also updated the firmware to the latest firmware. I have also done the "restore factory defaults" in Assistant 2 software.
But no luck.
Mine does that every single time.

It happens even in beginner mode where the movements are smoother and slower.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone Enthusias Posted at 2016-12-28 09:17
Yes i have made gimbal calibrations several times and IMU calibrations and compass cal.
I have also both downgraded the firmware and also updated the firmware to the latest firmware. I have also done the "restore factory defaults" in Assistant 2 software.
But no luck.

Ok, then since you've done all the troubleshooting steps I suggest contact support and sending it in for evaluation.
I'm sorry about that.
2016-12-28
Use props
Speed_Freak_039
lvl.2
United States

What about the FPV vs Follow for the gimble? You could be seeing the craft tilt as it moves around and the gimble wont smooth that out unless you have it set to Follow.
2016-12-28
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Speed_Freak_039 Posted at 2016-12-28 14:14
What about the FPV vs Follow for the gimble? You could be seeing the craft tilt as it moves around and the gimble wont smooth that out unless you have it set to Follow.

Yes it is at "Follow"
In FPV mode the horizon tilt is much worse than in Follow mode, but in FPV mode i assume its normal, but its not normal in Follow mode.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules