A Question About Waypoints
1909 16 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

As a builder, I often take before and after shots of my work. It would be nice to get the shots from exactly the same spot each time so the pictures would show like a short time lapse.
My question is, can you set-up a single waypoint with the DJI app or is there a simple way of doing this with another app?

Thanks in advance

Mark G.
2016-12-25
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Not sure the answer my friend, Just want to say Merry Christmas !  blessings to you and your family

donnie
2016-12-25
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2016-12-25 14:15
Not sure the answer my friend, Just want to say Merry Christmas !  blessings to you and your family

donnie

Thanks Donnie and the same to you. Big merry Christmas and a happy new year to all our forum buddies.

Mark G.
2016-12-25
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Autopilot waypoints will take care of that quite easily. I've used it for construction progress over large projects with upwards of 200 pics that are stitched together. Since it's fully configurable, you can set it up to fly to as many set waypoints as needed and take a pic at each one also. The GPS accuracy is pretty amazing in regards to repeatability. One of the projects on my list is to repeat a waypoint video at different times of the day to create a sort of time lapse clip that goes from sunup to sundown.
2016-12-25
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-12-25 18:44
Autopilot waypoints will take care of that quite easily. I've used it for construction progress over large projects with upwards of 200 pics that are stitched together. Since it's fully configurable, you can set it up to fly to as many set waypoints as needed and take a pic at each one also. The GPS accuracy is pretty amazing in regards to repeatability. One of the projects on my list is to repeat a waypoint video at different times of the day to create a sort of time lapse clip that goes from sunup to sundown.

Thanks FT,

I'm only looking to set-up one waypoint, fly it to a good spot then record that position so as to be able to return there at a later date. Can the DJI app handle only one waypoint or would it need more?  I know it would work with more than one as I've used it for zip lines.

Mark G.
2016-12-25
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-25 15:20
Thanks FT,

I'm only looking to set-up one waypoint, fly it to a good spot then record that position so as to be able to return there at a later date. Can the DJI app handle only one waypoint or would it need more?  I know it would work with more than one as I've used it for zip lines.

To be honest, I tried out the DJI Go Waypoints once and then got Autopilot. I will say it's not a problem to only set up a single waypoint in Autopilot.
2016-12-25
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-12-26 01:35
To be honest, I tried out the DJI Go Waypoints once and then got Autopilot. I will say it's not a problem to only set up a single waypoint in Autopilot.

Thank you FT1,

I guess there is one way to find out, I will get out there and give it a try when the weather clears. I shall post the results.

Mark G.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Mark, at least two waypoints required.
You can set current location as your first waypoints. Then fly to the place you want to record and set the second waypoints.
2016-12-26
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-27 01:45
Hello Mark, at least two waypoints required.
You can set current location as your first waypoints. Then fly to the place you want to record and set the second waypoints.

Thanks Mindy,

I Guess that would have been the obvious answer, use more than one WP. I don't have to take shots at both!

Does the waypoint mode remember camera positioning/angle or just GPS position?

Mark G.
2016-12-27
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Mark

coming late to the party, but wanted to second what FT is saying about AutoFlight Logic. This is a great third party App for doing exactly what you are trying to do. Once you save the waypoint (and name it) you an use it over and over again. I was on the beta testing team for version 2 and now 3.9  Highly recommend!
Rich
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-27 18:08
Thanks Mindy,

I Guess that would have been the obvious answer, use more than one WP. I don't have to take shots at both!

Hi Mark, waypoint mode will not remember camera angle.
2016-12-28
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-28 09:33
Hi Mark, waypoint mode will not remember camera angle.

Thank you Mindy. I can work with that.

Mark G.
2016-12-28
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-28 04:51
Hi Mark

coming late to the party, but wanted to second what FT is saying about AutoFlight Logic. This is a great third party App for doing exactly what you are trying to do. Once you save the waypoint (and name it) you an use it over and over again. I was on the beta testing team for version 2 and now 3.9  Highly recommend!

Thanks Rich, I hear what you and FT are saying here but until they let us Android folk in on the game, DJI waypoints seem to be the best option.
Like yourself, I applied to be a Beta-tester, even borrowed an I-Pad from a friend but his I-Pad was an old one which had no GPS and was too slow. I did suggest he bought a newer more up to date I-Pad but his wife put a stop to it.
I think I will go with Mindy on this with the two waypoint option, probably means having to aim the camera every time and cropping it in post but so long as the bird is in the same spot for every shot, I can work with it.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Mark G.
2016-12-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-28 04:53
Thanks Rich, I hear what you and FT are saying here but until they let us Android folk in on the game, DJI waypoints seem to be the best option.
Like yourself, I applied to be a Beta-tester, even borrowed an I-Pad from a friend but his I-Pad was an old one which had no GPS and was too slow. I did suggest he bought a newer more up to date I-Pad but his wife put a stop to it.
I think I will go with Mindy on this with the two waypoint option, probably means having to aim the camera every time and cropping it in post but so long as the bird is in the same spot for every shot, I can work with it.

Hi Mark,

You bring up a valid point and I will keep this in mind in the future. AFL has been focused on iOS devices and I didn't even think about that to be honest. I use the iPad mini 4 that has both GPS and barometer available for the App to use.
All my best to you in the Eastcoast, its been about a year since I traveled out to New Brunswick area on business.

Rich
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-28 20:53

Best of luck to you, Sir! At least with the Waypoint option, you would only have to worry about the camera. This will test your pan and tilt prowess for sure.
2016-12-28
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-28 11:28
Hi Mark,

You bring up a valid point and I will keep this in mind in the future. AFL has been focused on iOS devices and I didn't even think about that to be honest. I use the iPad mini 4 that has both GPS and barometer available for the App to use.

Rich,

I may be a little further East than you think. My PC seems to think it is in Jersey, I am in fact in Guernsey (see the map) but next time you venture this far, gimme a shout, we'll hook up
WhereisGuernsey.jpg
2016-12-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2016-12-30 13:16
Rich,

I may be a little further East than you think. My PC seems to think it is in Jersey, I am in fact in Guernsey (see the map) but next time you venture this far, gimme a shout, we'll hook up

LOL... you are right that is way farther east than expected   Okay, if I ever venture that far away from home.. I will give you a shout.   (looks like a tiny island)

So, is the water warm... like the south of France or Rivera?  I looked it up and this area is beautiful..

Thanks for sharing  !!
Rich
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules